Solarforce L2D - received today! Pics inside :)

looks nice!!!

came with an extra switch boot and o ring - the switch boot is quite unique - unlike any i have seen before

the cavity for a p60 - interesting looking! i wonder if a vinz drop in will fit

tail cap has a spring and un-anno inside

with a intl drop in :) 80 cri xml

some initial thoughts:

Switch - feels very nice (its a clicky). No momentary... however switching modes can be done faster than a regular tail clicky - it has an lower "de-bounce" clearance.

Lego - every other solarforce item I have fits on it - other tail caps/heads etc work just fine.

Worth the price? - maybe not to some - feels the same quality as any other solarforce host. For the price I would have liked to see a proper UCL included. I installed my own UCL that I got from flashlightlens.com - the size is the same as all the other solarforce hosts. 26.8mm x 1.85mm. As a side point - the only host made by solarforce that I know of that comes with a "claimed" UCL is the P1d - and its a CRAP ucl as far as im concerned... low quality coating compared to my lenses I bought from flashlightlens.com.

The host was worth the price to me - because I love solarforce and collect them :)

Size - its about 3/4" longer than a L2m/L2

No tailcap lockout possible.

IT CAME WITH A FOYBEZEL!!!!!!!

Bottom line - If you like solarforce and the looks of this host interest you - buy it - you wont be disappointed as the usual great quality host from SF :)

If you are looking for a cheap host - solarforce offers other hosts which are just as good quality for a lower price - like the L2 and L2m which I bought for around $11 each on a holiday promo.

EHRMAGHERD :bigsmile: gotta get me one.Thanks for the impressions,I’m curious as to how the switch comes out and if it can be upgraded.

Thanks jmpaul320. I like the idea of the switch in this location. Is it a forward or reverse operating switch if that makes sense. How much was it?

This is great news I just bought one of these the other day…… I wonder if i’ll like it more then the P1d

Looks pretty nice! Any pictures of the head lego’d on another light?

i dont see how to get the switch out - although im sure you savvy hackers will find a way!

its hard to tell - the switch seems to be in the same position relative to the body when both on and off - the only thing i could tell was that there was no momentary on

the picture is accurate - anno is a slightly different color than my L2

Switch is reverse and is removed from the front. It’s held in by a screw down aluminum ring just like a lot of pill modules are. A pair of pointy needle nose pliers will easily remove the ring, but I didn’t take the switch out yet. Still waiting for my new drop-in module to arrive from Intl Outdoor and don’t want to mess up the host before the drop in gets here. :wink:

Might have to grab one of these heads for my L2T once they are available separately. Maybe I’ll just get the whole host as it sounds pretty nice.

weird - my intl outdoor p60 dropin has flickering issues - contact problem suspected

removing the copper thermal tape and adding a spring results in the light not even turning on at all - weird

i think the p60 module is actually like 1/8” shorter than the host is designed for - I am going to try a few different modules today and setups

EDIT:

AFTER ADDING MORE COPPER TAPE IT WORKS FINE

Justin - when you wrap, do you remove the spring then? How wide do you make the wrap?

I'm still trying to figure out the tricks of wrapping. I was under the impression the copper tape doesn't work much better then alum foil because of the glue - think there's a recent post on tests with different wraps. Think he found the best was copper foil wrap.

I thought I did one heavy duty alum wrap on a 501B and the output really did improve. So, tried it in a L2T and didn't see any improvement - in fact, looks like it drops quite a bit over the first 30 secs both with and without the wrap. I must be doing something wrong. I believe there was a video done a while back showing the proper technique and can't seem to find it now. It does seem like you have to match the thickness of the wrap to the host pretty well, and maybe that was your problem, specially if you remove the spring.

since it can be use with any solarforce battery tube that means it can use the clip isn’t?
i still got one clip from solarforce,will add this host on my wishlist :bigsmile:

yes i remove the spring - I make the wrap thick enough that its difficult to get the drop in into the host (getting it out is always easier i find).

the copper tape i have i got off ebay - it was cheap and im not sure if its any better than alum. foil but its easier and more practical to use because it stays in place on each drop in

i put enough tape around the drop in that the only way to get it into the host is to place the dropin face down on a table and force fit the host over it by pressing down on top of the drop in - might seem excessive - but this ensures a good fit with no air pockets

Got mine today :wink:

I do recommend to replace red wire with thicker one, as well as put bigger blob on golden spring connection to MPCB.

Why? My D26 module measured directly, or in L2P shows 2,8A , when measured installed in L2D shows 2.1A only ;(

Update, same readings after, so looks like this is switch issue.

Can you take a detail area of the spring of the switch?

after seeing this thread, i went on their site to go purchase one, but what did i find….a newer model.
a dual switch!
i went ahead and ordered that one instead, and had it sent over to vinh to install one of his mt g2 pills

may you provide the link?

L2D dual switch current price: $33

Edit: can I get a switchless tail anywhere?

It would be easier to buy the switchless version and pick up a normal tailcap. It seems weird to use to clicky switches though.

Here is a response from solarforce when I told them I had some compatibility issues.

Dear friend,

yes, for the L2D head and tube and accept other head

But for L2D head, the thread may be a bit not the same, so that it cannot screw to the bottom

Thanks for your email and wish you all the best

Regards

JO

Sales Team