KD 5*XML Boost Driver. The Little Driver that could. The best of the Beasties.

In my progressive education in modding flashlights I got interested boost drivers, especially the 5*7 and 9 XML KD beast drivers.

My last 9*KD lasted 20 minutes pushing seven XML2. From the input I've been given, or read, these 7* and 9* KD drivers are very short lived. I think the strain is too much trying to boost power to 7 or 9 LED With just three cells. Even powering 7 XML with the 9* driver, I think its working just as hard, just splitting the current between fewer LEDs. I don't really know how these things work. But that's my theory.

Enter the forgotten little 5*XML beastie. From my tests, this is the best of the lot. It seems to operate differently too. The bigger beasties whine and change modes so slowly that you think the light turned itself off.

Not the wee beastie. It changes modes as fast as you can click the switch And is very quiet. I've been running two of them for over a month with absolutely no problems, and the current levels are rock solid. I believe running 3 XML with two cells, and five XML with three cells is closer to the limits of a boost driver.

I've been running my 5 x XM-L2 Securitying with the 5*KD driver for over a month with 3 x 26650. It's laying down a solid 4.2A per emitter. I'm really liking this light. Fast mode switching and steady current.

The other light I'm running a 5*KD boost in is the old veteran FandyFire STL-V2.

After spending a lot of time with fat SRK type lights, this two cell light feels like a short little stick in my hand.

I rebuilt it with a 5*KD driver, and two protected 18650s (haven't tried unprotected) are giving the three XM-L2s a rock solid 3.6A per emitter. That's pretty nice for a little two cell triple. It's now become one of my favorites, and really throws.

So perhaps we shouldn't write off all those KD boosters, because this wee beastie seems to know its job and has the circuitry to last. I've still got a bunch of the bigger versions that I'll keep experimenting til they're all blown up, but I ordered some more of these wee beasties.

5 x XM-L2 @ 4.2A per (3x26650) 3 x XM-L2 @ 3.6A per (2x18650)

I'm liking this passed over driver a lot. I'll keep you all informed of any new developments.

And as usual in all my favorite show-off lights, my signature clear bootcap.

THE END

hmm… Don’t know if I’m willing again to spend extra $20 for each driver for 15 minutes of glorious joy.
Already busted 3 of 7 XM-L “beast” drivers, That’s $60 that could be used for buying few flashlights and tons of other drivers.
maybe I’ll take your advise and get one of those 5 XML driver for my 3T6 light “stick” :smiley:

This driver is running a realistic amount of emitters per cell for a boost driver to do its job easily.

Every time you say “wee beastie”, I think of Captain Jack Sparrow from the Pirates of the Caribbean.

I agree. These drivers are underrated for how capable they are.