interesting video

why li-ion die

i feel asleep after 9mins

and i am still sleeping as i am typing

Thanks, that was rather interesting.

His mains points about extending LiIon cell life: Keep them cool and keep the voltage down.

The video was about a way to estimate what cells has the longest lifetime, when experimenting with adjustments to the chemistry in the cell.

Thanks snakebit. This is a pretty interesting video so far.

Wow, this video was really enlightening. The temperature and voltage things really only come up in passing. His presentation is about how “High Precision Charging” setups allow them to measure Coulombic Efficiency with great accuracy. In that way they are able to quantify how a cell degrades. He demonstrates how the CE degradation measurements can accurately predict how a cell is going to degrade on a larger scale. He does touch on some other things, such as how “time of exposure” is key rather than “number of cycles” at high temp.

The key to the high precision charging technique is that they can quickly quantify the CE degradation rate after only a few charges at a fixed temperature. Traditional techniques gather less useful data and take much longer.

One relevant thing he discusses at length and demonstrates with graphs is the addition of additives. They make a huge difference, but when we look at a “chemistry” such as LiFe or LiCo we don’t see the additives, it’s like a “secret sauce” in his words.

The whole presentation is really simplified and made to be accessible. There were really no concepts I couldn’t follow during the main presentation, which is a big achievement.

At the end there is a Q/A session and some of the questions go above my head, but other than being long and slightly boring (not really, he keeps it rolling) this video is great for everyone with just introductory level knowledge of batteries.

The subtitles are a tad …disrupting lol.

Is this skin they refer to the reason for some people suggesting a break in cycles for new batteries? Control the rate, to improve or maintain the CE and protect the battery? It sounds to me like that offers good evidence there is something to the break in cycle idea. I could of course be overlooking many, many things.

Nice lecture, and there's enough in there that even a non battery expert like me can understand to follow the story. It tells me that although perhaps miracles may not be expected soon in li-ion capacity or robustness, there still is a lot of improvement going on this very moment.

Thanks for sharing :-)

I know with high frequency pulse charging of lead acid you can desulfate the plates…I wonder if CC/CV pulsated at say a few Ghz would help eliminate that sulfation of the charging media…or blow it up?

err.

The resonant freq thing is probably not true for lead acid desulfators. The freq doesn’t really matter. Increasing to the Ghz range is probably only going to make the device less effective at whatever it does (I suspect).

I do not think that sort of device will be able to do whatever it does to Li-ion chemistry batteries.