Eneloop D cell Batteries

Japanese sellers have these listed on Amazon for about $30 each plus outrageous shipping. Actually 11 sellers shown for the listing I found with prices including shipping from $47 to about $80 PER BATTERY. Batteries are pretty limited capacity at 5700 mAh and the prices seem to be way too high. We need Panasonic to start offering these here to see what the actual wholesale and retail prices are likely to be. I did not find a thread on these yet.

Its better to buy 3xAA to D adapters and use 3 eneloops, you’ll get higher capacity, and much cheaper than those prices you mention.
IIRC those D eneloops have 3 AA cells inside anyway

Agreed. I have a batch of the Chinese 3 AA cells to D battery holders and have used them with good results in my Fenix TK50 light.

Powerex Imedions are still a genuine D cell. Also some D cells made by Tenergy if I recall correctly.

As you are in the US, do a search for Thomas Distributing. I'm pretty sure they will be able to supply something suitable.

This was the pic I’ve seen. I don’t know if it’s real, but the adapter solution seems good for me, I have only 16 or so AAA and a bunch of AA nimh batteries. For the other sizes just bought adapters
Anyway, maybe the picture is not real, it seems to have 4 cells inside, and I am not sure if 4 AA fit into one D cell

That’s a C cell, and it’s made from 4x AAA Eneloops.

Apparently multiple smaller cells works better than one big cell…?

Thanks, I was going to post and ask you for a link.

Hmm, looking at the discharge numbers 4xAAA sounds a little better than 1xAA but not better than 2xAA. Too bad they didn’t make “real ones” with one big C/D cell.

Maybe it has a reason (other than selling).
There’s also that expensive 8xAA flashlight.
why not C or D ?
Might have to with current handling (?)

You couldn’t fit 2x AA in a C cell. It’s only 26mm wide, while 2xAA would be at least 28mm wide (+ the casing).

I realize that. My point was that 4xAAA looks like a pretty sorry replacement for a ‘real’ LSD C-cell. I didn’t do the math but I feel confident a C-cell has more volume than two AA’s. Aren’t Emedion brand C-cells the real deal?

>Aren’t Emedion brand C-cells the real deal?
They are. (Nitpicking here, but they’re Imedion, not Emedion)

I suppose C/D cells sell very little amounts, so there is little financial sense to spend money on research and development on them, for Sanyo.

I agree with you. This is just the cheap way out for them. Most people need the LSD aspect a lot more than they need high current or maximum capacity - this method meets that need and gives decent capacity.

True D cell NiMh rechargeables manage to handle the current demand of the Fenix TK70 successfully and from the review on CPF that light is drawing 7.5 amps at 4.8V or 36 watts to provide about 2000 OTF Lumens so properly made D cell NiMH batteries have quite good current capability, far better than alkalines. In fact I believe the true D cell NiMH is the ONLY battery recommended by Fenix for the TK70. However based on the relatively short life in production of the Fenix TK50, TK60 and TK70 D cell lights the demand is just not there in adequate numbers for high end D cell flashlights. In that category the market seems to have pretty well decided that the 18650 format is what is wanted. The best D NiMH have about 12 watt hours and high end 18650 Lithium Ions are almost identical in capacity.

Personally I like my TK50 and have a TK60 on order as I want one before the last of them are gone.

Yes, it’s a c cell, didn’t realize before
I use AA to C adapters (single cell obviously…) Bought here but don’t buy there, it’s a set of 2. I bought 2 sets and received just 2 adapters. I had lots of trouble to get the remaining. The plastic is good enough
I do t remember where I got the 3aa to d adapter. It’s similar to this
Found Here