Solarstorm T3 and T4

These lights look awesome, and should be nice if the same quality of the similar looking K2. The K2 frustrated me though with after repeated attempts, unable to get the tailcap off (in bag of boiling water, strap wrench's, etc.) - I assume it's seriously glued. Without the ability to copper wire the tailcap spring, it's difficult to get the most out of modding it. The UI I'm not happy with either, but that could be corrected with a driver change, like done with a SRK/M6, but you'd lose the battery level indicators - no one has done that yet in a Nanjg custom driver, but may be available in other custom drivers.

Still, the K2 is an awesome light with a emitter change and resistor modded, so I'm sure these can be improved upon as well. My questions:

• Appears to be an aluminum bezel? Would be great if SS but probably not at this price (I'd pay more to get SS)
  • how do the modes work exactly?
  • what's the stock amps from the cells? FT says 2800 mA but they admit they use that # when they don't know (Frown), so I'm sure it's higher
  • Ouch - 67 mm battery length max? Oh boy - just like a XinTD X3 - only unprotected cells if this is true

I do really like the smaller size of the 3 cell lights, and these seem to really hit a mark for value. I missed the Warrior deal for $30, but the T3 is there, or less with a discount.

SolarStorm is apparently a cheap division of Black Shadow and does not seem to have it’s own web site per the Alibaba listing I found for it. Black Shadow also does Starry Light products.

http://blackshadow.en.alibaba.com/productgrouplist-221474846/New_product.html

Afraid going to have to wait and see what the actual dimensions are once members actually receive lights. The same for actual current draw and Lumens output etc. In other words until some knowledgeable people get their hands on the lights and report test results everything is speculation. Lots of questions and minimal answers.

Www.solarstorm.hk

Odd thing is using Google translate for the multi-led highlighting series is no SolarStorm T3 or T4 on the site??

Here is the Google translate products page

Too busy with sales :wink:

[/quote]

Ok, so I was out of town and had a T3 and T4 waiting for two weeks when I return. Luckily DHL held them that long for me. I’m very surprised with this light. For the price you just can’t beat it. You will never want to pick up a sky ray king again. It feels similar to the warrior but just looks so much better. The single side button light is well done and the green “on” led glows about 4 times brighter than the green light in the Solarstorm K2.

This light has momentary on, I wasn’t expecting that nice addition. If you double click real fast, you get instant strobe. If you hold it for longer than 2.5 seconds then it goes into the always on mode and the green led lights up. I wish it had started on low and went to medium and then high. But I guess they can’t please everyone. It is nice that they listened and hid the strobe, removed sos.

So bascially momentary on, longer then 2.5 second hold down and it goes to always on high, click again, medium, click again, low. It’s a nice set up in my opinion besides me feeling that it should be reversed with low, med, high. When it is always on you can double click while in any level and get the strobe again. And You can easily turn the battery body and get a very quick off.

They also did some other interesting machining in the battery tube to keep the weight down, sorry i’m super busy and can’t get pics right now. This light is plenty heavy. It’s not heavy light an M6 but more like a warrior if you ever held that light. I would say the perfect balance of weight. Not too heavy but not cheap and light feeling. I’m currently using flat top samsung batteries and they rattle a tiny bit, i’m sure that when i try button top later, the rattle will be gone. But i’m surprised that it is working with flat top batteries to begin with.

The anodizing and machining are top notch. The anodizing is nice and flat like the Solarstorm K2. The end tactical ring is aluminum but I can understand their goal. They gave this light other good features and removed stainless from the design. I wish these lights had a side lanyard hole like the K2 and more knurling. But I guess we can’t have everything. I can see why they made the tail stick out, it gives a slightly more comfortable feel in the hand. The side button ring appears to be stainless.

These reflectors are some deep little buggers. Deeper than warrior(i’m taking a wild guess because I don’t have my warrior with me to compare), supfire M6 and sky ray king. This light is geared more towards throw. It still has a lot of flood but more on the throw side. The XML is a little annoying, with a cool white tint. I’m sure we will see some XM-L2 soon in a neutral tint. I’m guessing that the output is equal to or slightly higher than the warrior. I will test that out later. I’m trying to see if I detect any PWM but I have no idea. I can’t tell at this point, if it is present then it must be minimal.

This is a great light for the price. It honestly looks like a high end light when it is sitting in front of you. Great design and the anodizing looks expensive. If I paid $80 for this light, I would not complain.

Great. As soon as you can please tell us how many lumens do you think it outputs.

Really 2.5 seconds of watch? You measure it? Much time, but the ui is much better than Blackshadow Terminator T70:

T70 has momentary on, and 2.5 seconds to always on too, but the green light is on with the light off and on, and you don’t know when you can release the button to always on, much better on the T4 for what you say.

Oh, when light is on…hold the button 2.5 seconds for off?

Can you make any photo or video?

Thanks.

Yes. The green light on t3 and t4 only comes on when light is on. On takes 2.5 sec and off only takes 2 sec.

Thanks again, sounds good.

can’t wait for a review of the light.

may I ask where u purchased the lights?

thanks.

Thanks for the sharing phsinvent. I’m glad that with $30+ you can get such a great light. :slight_smile:

If you shine the T3 and T4 towards a spinning fan in low and medium mode can you notice any PWM?

Good Day phsinvent, :slight_smile:
Could You Please tell me if the Panasonic 3400mAh Protected Batteries (button top) fit in the Solarstorm T3 & T4?
Or are they too long?
Both the T3 & T4 look like Very Worthy additions to my collection.
Looking forward to any further info/review….
Thank You Very Much,
Roberta 0:)

hi phsinvent,
are the t3 and t4 same in brightness? which one has more flood and spill? and which one throws further?
so theres a delay to turn on and off for the t3 and t4?

thats the only gripe i had on the warrior. delay for off is ok i guess, but i hate the delay just to turn on the light. yes , i know theres momentary, but it means you have to keep your finger pressed on it.

I hope to get my t3 soon to write some lines…

maybe it is a candidate for a Groupbuy? :wink:

I don’t understand your question:

“So bascially momentary on, longer then 2.5 second hold down and it goes to always on high”

Press the button and light on (no delay), if you want “always on”, don’t release the button before 2.5 seconds.

Easy to unscrew tailcap?

Hows the pill? We need to know that.

Group Buy on both T3 and T4 would probably be of interest to many. Someone should check with several of the vendors what price we can get depending on the quantity. Best price offered wins. I wouldn't be surprised if they can sell a ton of these lights.

BG selling T4 at $31.27 with blf coupon. :wink:

Added T4 from BG and included all prices in OP. Im not aware of any coupon codes for KD and CNQ.

maybe (if some are interested) we get the price below 30….

if the light is nice I try to get a good qouta…