Enlan EL-04 / Bee Review ( Pics havy)

Hi!

My firs review here, so please keep it in mind :slight_smile:

This is going to be more of a firs impressions and quick overview, since I have just received the knife. And I must say, I am impressed. Didn’t really have the time to use it properly, but so far feels really solid and well made. Well, firs some specs. (from original site) BTW, I bought it from eBay, it was around 15$.

Enlan EL-04 (newer models marked “Bee”)
8Cr13MoV, 58HRC
G10 handles
“AXIS” lock
Whole length - 204mm
Blade’s length - 85mm
Closed Length - 118mm
Weight - 135g

For better introduction (sorry for my messy table):

As I said, it feels really solid in hand, no blade play up/down, nor left to right. lock is nice, solid, maybe even a little to stiff. But nothing to critical, actually I like it, feels more secure. G10 scales offer a lot of grip, knife really locks in hand. Have a nice gimping on the blade too. When closed may be a little wide, but even compered to tenacious it is a little thinner. Overall spec vise it is quite comparable to spyderco tenacious, except the lock type and some other specs. So far the biggest problems I can think of are the weight and pivot screw, which is a standard “cheepo” three hole one.

Enough of my talk, a few comparison pics:

side by side with tenacious

As seen here, a lot of its weight comes from much thicker blade, and not so skeletonized liners.

The only flaw I can spot are two scratches on the blade:

Other than that, the knife looks perfect to me. It was the reason I bought it in the first place. It is my firs Chinese knife and so far I am happy with it!

Oh, and the blade centering is spot on!

I am sorry, that I can’t provide any field experience with it, just received it and was too excited to wait :slight_smile:

Short conclusions:

For first Chinese made knife, very impressed!

+Solid lock/feel
+nicely put together
+gripy scales
+perfect blade centering
+sturdy pocket clip
+nice quality overall

-a little to stiff lock
-heavy!
-piwot screw
-those little marks/scratches on the blade
-says Bee on the blade :wink:

few more shots:

Any questions, please ask! i will do my best to answer it.

And sorry for any mistakes or badly explained stuff :wink:

EDIT

A few fondings will be writhen here:

• the pocket clip is sturdy, and the g10 is grypy… So, some pocket threading is expected.

Sorry guys, still figuring out the picture posting thing…

“EDIT… done! or at least I hope it is ;)”

You can alter the size with the image width commands. % or set a width and height! . Just click insert image and the options pop up in a box, along with the space for the URL.

Or alternatively, just add this {width:50%} between the ! and the URL. ie:!IMAGEURL etc

Thanx! That helped a lot :slight_smile:

I have had the other version of this knife, the EL-04MCT with the Micarta scales, other than adjusting the Omega springs by bending them a little to give less tension I’d agree with what you say, I’ve actually had two and recently gave one away, after a couple of years of use, only light stuff, I’m sure it would be up to just about any normal task, the blade sharpens easily and the edge retention is fairly good.
The Micarta scales are contoured a little more than the G10 and I think they’re a bit wider, they do fit my hand nicely.
Seen here with a couple of SanRenMu’s.

The Axis lock has always been secure even after taming the rather stiff springs, good lock up with no blade play at all in any direction, the blade has freed off nicely so it will open with just a wrist flick, they just get smoother as they wear in.

I can’t understand why some people don’t like the Bee on Enlan/Bee knives, I have quite a few and they are the same knife, the logo reminds me of PacMan.
I hope you enjoy your first Chinese knife, I bet it won’t be the last. :slight_smile:

Review and great comparison photos I have my eye on the micarta. Version as well

I have the mct version and it is a good knife. Beautiful and ergonomic handle, wide blade, good lock up but the axis lock is not smooth at all.
Really strong blade!.

Some molybdenum grease, the type used in car CV joints would very likely fix this or something like Sentry solutions Hi Slip grease.
A good clean or a spray with an air duster, the compressed air in a can used on computers before the greasing will help blow things clean without stripping.

Even a pencil rubbed on the back of the tang where the lock pin bears can smooth out the action.
I stripped mine down to bend the Ω spring, changed the washers for phosphor bronze and cleaned and lubricated everything. A lot of work for an inexpensive knife and not all need it but the difference it makes is amazing.

They are a very good strong knife - with or without the extra work.

I use my knives daily and I prefer the rugged simplicity of a frame lock…with more small parts that tend to break and fail with use, I haven’t seen that the added complexity of the Axis lock design brings anything to the table.

Steve, sounds like a lot of good work put in to this knife, I am sure, it will serve you even better!

Some of the Chinese knives need work more than others. The Enlan EL-xx series knives, a couple of years ago nearly all needed washers and cleaning. The ones that I’ve bought recently EL-01’s are very much better and actually don’t need any work other than a good bedding in period. If they do need anything it’s usually phosphor bronze washers, at first I measured the thickness of them all then I realised that they were all 0.020” - 20 thousandth of an inch both sides of the blade so it makes ordering easier.
Whatever I do to them costs very little still under $15 including the knife for most, it’s just the time, you can improve these inexpensive knives a lot without the washers, just clean, smooth out the bearing surfaces with 800ish wet/dry lubricate and reassemble and you’ll be amazed at the difference.
The Axis lock models are a bit more complicated but there are videos on YouTube taking you through the process. All you need is the basic tools and a bit of time.
Thanks to SRJoben (Lazy Lizard Gear) for this video.

Incidentally, the SanRenMu 763/7063AUC-xx range have the best Axis lock of all the China made knives that I’ve tried straight out of the box smooth and the correct tension on the Axis lock’s Ω spring.

Thank you for the info! I dont mind some extra “playing” with the knife, so this little project sounds interesting :slight_smile: Where do u buy those washers from? Wel, I might just use google :slight_smile: btw is the diameter lways the same?

I believe these were the size that I used on the EL series, all the EL-01s were this 1/4” ID and 1/2” or 5/8” OD and various thickness’s most uses 2x0.010” or 0.020” 20 thousandths of an inch. I bought a variety of thicknesses 5.10,and15 thou just to be certain but 0.020” was the most common measurement using a digital caliper.
five thou
ten thou
fifteen thou Out of stock.
Be sat down before you find out the price of the shipping, it doubled my costs, they ship in a set box size when an envelope would do and it’s a bit of a rippoff, I ordered from them then the next day ordered some more and they wouldn’t combine the orders even though they admitted eventually that the first order had not been sent at that time.
If I could find the sizes anywhere else I would.