fake efest cells! another reason to avoid ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-High-Drain-Rechargeable-Battery-18650-35A-3-7v-LI-MN-2500mAh-Button-Top-BX-/251674486579?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item3a98f7e733

yet another.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-High-Drain-Rechargeable-Battery-18650-35A-3-7v-LI-MN-2500mAh-Button-Top-FS-/321544143700?pt=US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item4add864354

It worries me that 187 units have been sold, yet no negative feedback at all because it is still there…

Do people really have no idea of how their batteries are performing and just trust whatever the wrapping says?

I suppose the majority (if not all) of the buyer are new-to-the-hobby vapers and really have no expertise in batteries, they just buy what others recommend.

Care to share how you know they are fakes please?

I think because of the price… $1.38 shipped, too good to be true?

They don't even say Efest on them. That is a blatant rip off though...and it's scary that people are going to run these "35A" cells in sub-ohm e-cigs.

Yeah…grenade waiting to happen

I have only seen one video of a dude venting a battery with a sub ohm rig…but he PURPOSEFULLY tried to flame it…even had hot pad gloves on his hands so he could keep hitting it over an over, and even when the vaping rig got stupid hot he swapped out batteries and kept vaping…till it vented (not a big ol’ ’splosion, but more or like a pop and a fizzle) usually see the catastrophic smoking burney kablooey when charging improperly

And after closer inspection…yeah the wrapper is NOT an Efest, at all

I have never seen an authentic high drain cell with a button top.

Efest's own high drain cells are available directly from them with a button top in almost every size. I also sell Samsung 20R, 25R, and LG HE2 with button tops added aftermarket.

For these types of purchases, I’ve grown to like eBay. They are pretty good with these refunds and if they ever fail, you can still use your credit card protection.

Having said that, I find PayPal protection to be a lot easier to deal with than eBay protection.

Exactly!!

As soon as I saw that price I knew it was fake!! Plus as others have mentioned they do not even have Efest written on them!!

I have these batteries and they are ~$9/$10 each! Depending on where you get them,Mt. Electronics where I got them or IS!

There's been a lot of stories about fake batteries. Remember the photo of the tons of Li-ions laying in wait to be "recycled"? The majority of the world has no clue and yes, they trust sellers to provide good product, or at least safe product. Too bad sellers don't care. The dollar is king. Unfortunately, even if you got that seller kicked off, he would be back on in a day, selling the same thing. I know many sellers have 10,20 or more ebay IDs, just to be able to sell more stuff. They even do price wars against themselves, to get more sales. It's all a big hoax, more or less and even "trusted sellers" are going south, looking to get money to replaced reduced sales volumes.

Li-ion batteries are dangerous enough that I don’t think it’s wise to skimp on them. Better to pay for premium batteries from a known supplier for maximum safety.

Ebay is fine for buying budget hosts and lights…. just not li-ion cells.

I can help you out on that one…
As RMM said: Original cell, button top welded by aftermarket sellers, bought from a reliable source and definitely legit.

Sellers name & other products can sometimes yield clues. Dealinabox is a NO BUY at anytime for any product.

I am also not going to buy any “new’ flashlight gear from a seller with ”Fashion or Suit” in their name. lol

Keep your eyeballs a lookin!

Oh Lord… What a waste of money! 190 poor souls so far.

So i guess what I should be saying is that I have never seen a high drain battery from the OEM with a button top. :slight_smile:
And I haven’t, so I am not wrong about not seeing one, but I don’t claim to have seen everything :wink:

Now those Samsung IMR’s that you show, who welded on the button top? If it is a reseller, then they wrapped it afterwards with a Samsung wrapper. If that is the case, then where did those wrappers come from? and what does THAT mean?

Also I would think that spot welded button tops would not provide as good of an electrical connection in high drain situations. Can you imagine 35A passing through maybe 4 spot welds! The reason why the spot welds forms in the first place is because when the weld takes place, most of the current used in the spot welding process ONLY passes through those spots.

Just me thinking out loud.

BTW, based on those thoughts, I concluded that high drain cells would not be produced by the OEM’s that manufacture them. Am I wrong to conclude that?

To sum it up in one sentence.
My premise is that it would be a bad idea to have a welded button top on a high drain cell, therefore OEM’s wouldn’t do that and any so called high drain cell WITH a button top is either fake or an authentic high drain cell with a button top added by a reseller.

Does Efest not count as an OEM? Even though some of their cells are rebranded cells, their own line of IMR cells have been available in button top for years.

Respectfully, I do think that your premises are incorrect.

The Samsung batteries you seen in that photo still have the OEM wrapper underneath an additional clear wrapper. The OEM wrapper was never removed.

I have not seen any noticeable loss from the button top cells and in my experience they pull just as hard as the flat top cells.

The only plausible reason Panasonic, Samsung, etc. don't put button tops on their cells is that as sold from them, they are all intended to be used in battery packs, and not as individual cells. Those battery packs are generally assembled using...you guessed it...spot welded tabs. Any guess as to how tool packs with 20A+ continuous draws and large inductive loads are assembled? With spot welded tabs.

the 4 abovementioned spotwelds introduce a tiny resistance if done right.tiny enough to be ignored for flashlights and yes power tools.the internal resistance of the cell and other parts is higher.
and no these cells do not say efest but knock off the logo.
just another whateverfire varient.