Chinese and Japanese Eneloops Test Comparison

I ran across this thread on CPF and recall some discussion here but no definitive test results. This should answer many questions. It looks like Chinese Eneloop batteries ARE NOT the equivalent of Japanese ones. Considerably inferior in multiple respects.

Lol, that one is hilarious

Too bad. I hate seeing companies buy a brand and trash it. Hopefully they pick it up.

Although if I’m reading the graph right, 400 recharges isn’t too bad.

I was reading about rechargeable batteries last winter. Eneloops are LSD ( low self discharge, you shouldn’t get high haha) batteries, i.e. they stay charged on the shelf

So theres less milliamps, since it takes a larger separator to keep the stuff apart so it doesn’t self discharge. This takes up space.

So you can get more milliamps in non LSD batteries. Thompson Distributing sold me some Delkin that were supposed to be 2900 milliamps, I think the Eneloops are 2000.

Higher capacity batteries apparently don’t last as many recharges, though.

If you are using them all the time, you might try Delkin or something. I’ve got some energizers that seem to last on the shelf fairly well and are rated at 2300. Wondering if they’re Chinese.

Everybody already knows that you can save 15% with Geico

400 is awful.
The batteries were made in Japan, were also LSD, had 2100 cycles, and 2000mah and held 70% charge over 5 yrs. These are still available to some markets, but not mine)
The batteries are now made in China, are also LSD, have 2100 cycles, and 2000mah and hold 65% of charge over 5 yrs. (claimed ratings)

The comparison is not about the technology, or the brand, but the results of the two different plants that make them. The Japanese plant has been at this for a number of years, and does it really well. Panasonic is trying to shift production t China, and the product has suffered as a result. It really is a comparison of Japanese apples and Chinese apples.

Essentially these Chinese batteries are behaving like non LSD Eneloops without the extra capacity, or extra current. Its the worst of both worlds.

From what I understood (and I could have understood completely wrong) Panasonic only have the right to use the brand but not the Japanese factory right? So does it means that there will be another company making cells at the Japanese facility? And If so, will the quality be the same?

Just an explanation who think that 400 is not many.

2100 cycles etc are rated to a specific Japanese measuring standards...the ones tested are WAY above those standards...So don't think that 400 is less just looking at the rated 2100 cycles.... that's not fair..

Don't start comparing those 2 numbers!

If you want to get 2100 cycles you need to do the testing according to JIS C8708. 2013 (5.7.1.3).

PowerMeUp hasn't done that yet.. mainly because that will take many many many days. And almost nobody uses their batteries that way anyway, with the JIS kind of charging and discharging specifics.

You still can compare 400 to 700-800 cycles the Japanese Eneloops that had been tested by the same methods got to and kept going. For me 400 cycles is quite enough, but the fact is that they now perform worse than they used to.

That's true, you can compare them to the Japanese made cells.. but it's not fair looking at the MAX cycles...because of the difference in testing methods

Couple of issues need clearing up. The Chinese made cells are not available officially in many places but some markets are getting them exclusively though (sooner or later we all will get them from China it seems likely). It matters to us, at least to me when the official figures say 65% retention of charge over 5 yrs, compared to 70% for the same era Japanese cell. Its not the number that worries me, its the need for that new number when its the same battery, or so we are led to believe. The change in number suggests otherwise.

Panasonic now officially own both plant and production in Japan and its management. They have always had ownership of the factory, they have been there with Sanyo, and created Twicell from day one, Fujitsu had a part in it too, and no it wasnt simply having batteries made there. The Japanese anti trust issues that created the previous convoluted situation are very old indeed in terms of the Eneloop product life. Now, the pretense of Panasonics involvement being limited is removed, this is basically the change that occurred.

Then again I could be wrong, but from what Ive read, thats it in a nutshell.

Which is about half as good, and falling. Seems significant.

Glad I live in Japan ;)

So am I, and that you like to organise GBs of Japanese battery goodness. Although, with 40 AA and 16 AAA, Im kind of set for some time.

If you can’t get genuine Japanese Eneloops, try to get these:
Test of Fujitsu AA HR-3UTA 1900mAh (White) which are a 1to1 equivalent of the 3rd generation Eneloops. In Germany they are also available as HR-3UTB rated for 2100 cycles and are the equivalent of 4th generation Eneloops.
These batteries are not cheap (like the genuine Eneloops) but are the real McCoy, because they are made by FDK, the factory producing the original Eneloops in Japan.

Glad i bought my Eneloops from you mate :bigsmile:

Don't get disturbed guys if I tell you that fdk (Fujitsu) already has the latest HR 3UTHC started in July 2014 (press release in May) only available in Japan ;)

Maybe they are the 5th gen eneloops? Lol.. specs are same as eneloop pro.

Sorry but eneloop batteries just look better than any other battery on the market.

Why pay more for an fdk cell, if you can buy the real deal eneloops from me ;) plus they look much cooler.

I Don't understand you ulibar ;)

I bought the Glamour Eneloops directly from you, because they are not available here in Germany - thanks again!
The Fujis HR-3UTB i can get for 31,50€ a 16(!!)-pack AAs including shipping in the bay from a German dealer. That’s a very reasonable price, even a little less than for genuine Eneloops, at least here in Germany.

The Chinese eneloops (currently being sold in Australia) are selling from $10-14 including shipping per 8 pack. Shipping could cost the average person about $8 to send them so they are still a good deal.

One have also been giving away $10 coupons when you buy them for $10, then you could use your coupons to buy more $10 eneloops for free.

I only bought one packet and they all measured 1950+/- may at 1A discharge.

I’d have no problem recommending them to family and friends but probably won’t be purchasing anymore myself. I’d like to see more testing on them but there isn’t much I can do myself with them.

Maybe we could try and get some to HKJ.

I’m so glad too!!

I'm glad I don't live in Japan .