Ganzo G706 failure

Since I lost my six-year EDC-carry Boker Subcom clone, I've been carrying my Ganzo G706. I had purchased the Ganzo from FT a year or more ago, but never carried it until now. After about 2 weeks of carrying this knife, I went to remove it from my pocket, and found that the scale had fallen off! On examining it more closely, it appears that the Torx screws that hold the scale only have a few thin bite on the G10(?) material, which snapped. On this knife, the scale appears to have been glued on using a super-glue type of adhesive. In addition, the heads of the screws seem to have been filled with the same material so I'm not able to remove them normally! I'm having bad luck with knives lately.

<edit>Edited to correct knife model number.

thank you for this, i have been thinking about getting this blade.

That’s terrible, hope you didn’t get injured.
I have the G706-2, the two bladed model but I think the scales are aluminium.
If the G10 is located well enough on the screw/stand off’s them roughing up the surfaces of the G10 and the frame and using a good quality Epoxy then it should be repairable.
The G10 looks awfully thin on the mounting screws, I suppose it has to be for the rebate that the blade sits in when closed. Not a good design, something that important to the knife’s integrity should not be able to fail in that way.

No injuries, but the blade is far enough from the frame that I could have ended up with a painful cut...

So the pins are loose enough that they spin freely when you try to loosen the screws. The screws are apparently retained with a thread locker, so the pins spin when I try to remove them. I've tried to grip them with needle-nose pliers, but that's proving difficult. I was able to remove one by gripping the opposite screw head with the pliers and using the Torx bit on the other. The second pin is too closely placed to the pivot to let me get a good grip with the pliers. Overall, I'm not happy with this knife!

Review:

Style: Really cool!

Utility: Okay

Durability and Serviceability: -∞

The blade is a bit too stiff for my liking, and you need a special tool to disassemble for cleaning the bushings at the joint.

Thanks for posting. Im so glad that you didnt get cut!

I’ll double check all my scales before tossing one of my cheapo knives in my pocket from now on.