GEARBEST’S 2017 New Year Giveaway for Zanflare F1 flashlight

Hi, bdpf79!

First impression was good, my G201H seemed well built for its price, I was impressed at first. However, its handles and pliers are nowhere near as durable as they might appear to be at first, I tried to cut 4mm nail with said pliers and succeeded in doing so, not without using excessive force ofcourse(it is, after all, pocketable multi tool with short handles for such heavy duty tasks and alos its hard wire cutters are rather dull), but the problem was that after this operation distance between both handles when opened shrunk from considerable to miserable, now I can squeeze plier handles with one hand and make both ends of handles meet at the bottom, couldnt do so before applying excessive force to make them cut that 4mm nail ;)!

I managed to fix it by simply loosening screws that hold pliers to he handles, but only for a while, after another attempt at cutting 4mm nail it went back to where it was.

Also, during my attempt at loosening both of the screws on one of them BOTH sides of torx wore out so I wasnt able to actually loosen one of the plier sides. Something to do with me either trying to use one size too small torx bit or simply Ganzo using non standard/non-unified torx screws on their tools.

Also, tools arent locking, which I knew, but I didnt expect them to be so hard to deploy, yet so easy to fold down when in use, given that they are all outside accessible, that poses a risk of them closing on my fingers, which wouldnt be nice. Inside accessible tools without locking mechanism would be more secure since they would fold only partly and be stopped by the opposite handle.

And that well looking sheath? Well, its belt loop is flimsy and it started to tear off from my belt when I was out on the pear and luckily it didnt fall off between rocks and into the water, it was on its last thread when I noticed it hanging on my belt, no force or tearing was applied to the sheath when on my belt, the weight of the tool did its job. And that internal bit set pocket is coming apart as well, because when the tool is being inserted into sheath it scrapes at the top the pocked and slowly tears it off.

The tool itself is 270.9 grams, bit kit with holder is almost 73 grams and sheath 48.5 grams, in total it shows 392 grams on my digital scale when weighted together, thus the belt loop is way too weak for such combo.

Tool came very lubed, took me a while to wipe away excessive oil from it and it took lots of attempts to wipe away oil that was constantly coming out from plier heads.

But overall for 13.99 per tool(GB sent me both of them without boxes, so I got 1$ store credit for each of them) its good for the money. If not for the total lack of fixation of tools when in deployed state and flimsy handles after real life usage and stripped torx nest, it could be one reliable tool.

It wont be much of a loss if lost outdoors given its low price.

Americans are better off with Wingman, Sidekick and, perhaps, Rev which they seem to be able to get between 15-20$ on sale.

In the longer run Im not sure how good will it hold up given the torx issue that could make tightening this tool when it gets flimsy a problem.

What Ive used it for:

Ive used its serrated blade which is crap, sheepfoot blade went through rope without problems unlike serrated one which had difficulties cutting through 1+cm rope. But for occasional "dirty" tasks where its desirable to spare main blade it should be fine.

Can opener, just like on Leatherman's is just there just in case, nothing can beat can openers in Vic's :D!

Tried to cut paper with scissors, they seemed ok'ish.

Used Philips head with my cordless drill to screw ~50'ish 4cm long screws into wood, didnt strip it yet.

Used awl to make hole in plasterboard, it did its job well!

At first I thought that it could compete with Wingman, but after couple of days of owning and carrying G201H, I came to conclusions that its neither as well built nor as user friendly despite coming with somewhat more "tools". Only thing where Ganzo beats Wingman/Sidekick/Rev is handle ergonomics, even though with all the tools gloves are a must when doing heavy duty tasks with pliers, medium tasks are harder to accomplish WITHOUT gloves with LM's because their handles will eat-cut into your palms pretty painfully, not an issue with Ganzo tho when doing medium tasks with pliers.

It will take a while to make full review as well as more detailed comparison with my daily driver Wingman and its big brother Super Tool 300.

Thanks Veer for your review.

I have to admit that I am a bit disappointed though.
It was clear that the pliers would not be comparable to those from the ST300 but I was hoping that they would fair well compared to the Wingman.
4mm nail is pretty thick though! Are you saying that the Wingman cuts through those without any issue?
I’m more disappointing to the fact that the tool didn’t work properly after that than the fact that it doesn’t cut the nails properly.
Also the knife, scissors and sheath being subpar is a bit of a bummer as well, I guess my expectations were too high.

I hope that MK’s impression of the G301 will be better given that it is a bigger tool and the blades are different.

Scissors arent bad, as I said, I only tried to cut paper with it and it did its job OK, nothing spectacular, but not bad either, on par or even better than Wingman.

About cutting nails - well, yes, 4mm is alot, however, its a good indication whether pliers are capable of some heavier cutting or not, Im not sure in normal case scenario one would need cut even 4mm nails or wire, let alone something bigger. Jaws on G20x/G30x overlap, thus, theoretically, giving more cutting-through effect when cutting hard wire, however, hard wire cutters are not sharp enough to effectively allow for smoother and easier cutting experience.

Wingman/Sidekick have hard wire cutters which neither overlap, nor are super sharp, however, they are capable of going through the same 4mm just as good as G20x, aside from worse handle ergonomics. Yet, Wingman holds its ground much better and its handles didnt become flimsy after hard tests.

I will repeat myself again - 4mm is pretty hefty for a nail, so its nothing to sneeze at if the tool can cut it and at least sustain NO visible damage to jaws, yes the handles wore out, I will try to dismantle handles from jaws and take a look what could be the casuse for handles getting closer to each other when in opened position, so you might reconsider if you really want to use it for really hard and thick wire/nail/screw cutting, but I believe that should be good indication of overall pliers durability in the long run.

Yes, SERRATED blade is basically crap, if you have the tools or patience, you might as well grind/file it into regular profiled blade instead.

Regarding G301 - the only real difference between G20x and G301 is that G301 has got locking tools, thats it, its the same size, the same pliers, basically the same multi tool with only difference being locking mechanism for its tools, so no reason to set expectations too high with G301/G302.

As for Leathermans - my first encounter with plier multi tools were Wingman and ST300, at first my expectations were set also very high, I would say sky-high :D! But after a while they grew on me and I learned what to expect from multi tools and set my expectation accordingly.

I didnt need Ganzo, the price was just too good to pass so I bought two G201H to close this chapter of Chinese budget, yet quality, multi tools for me. Well, at least until they release something NEW, not just with minor changes and +10$ price increase like they did with G301 and then with G302B.

Thanks Veer, you’ve been very helpful

I’m looking for a good first mutitool for both myself and my Father-in-Law (for a gift).

For my needs, most likely Ganzo quality would be fine. I would use it for very small tasks around the house or keep it in the car or for basic camping needs.
The multitude of tools provided from the G20x/G30x seemed like a great value when compared to what can be had from LM for the same price.

For my father in law, that’s a different story though and your testimony mostly convinced me not to buy him a Ganzo.
He is a handy man, often outside gardening, cutting trees, does quite a bit of handy work at home, hunts, fishes, etc…
While he doesn’t own any multi tool, he does have A LOT of tools and all of good quality.
First I was thinking more of a heavier duty tool/pliers and was considering the Surge and ST300. He doesn’t carry a separate knifeso the Surge takes the lead by having the blades accessible when the tool is closed however, I’m not found of the removable tools. Also honestly, they are both a bit over my budget LOL!

Then I reconsidered and though about the sidekick. It has a knife and saw accessible from the outside and a couple of screwdrivers. These and the pliers would probably the most tools used anyway. I was at first a bit worried about the pliers but they are decent enough if you are able to cut a 4mm nail LOL!
It is still $60 in Canada (about $43 US) so like everyone else, was hoping that the Ganzo would be on par with those and save some cash LOL!

Glad its helpful!

At least now I know for sure that Ganzo isnt exactly your Leatherman so unless LM’s will cost you twice or more, then I see no benefit of paying full price for Ganzo’s, especially their G30x series.
Even though G302B looked tempting for a while.

There happen to be deals on Ebay with brand new Leathermans once in a while, so if youre not in a hurry, take your time and check Ebay daily.

I believe the pliers on Wingman/Sidekick were made that way to avoid over-use and abuse so they wouldnt break and people wouldnt bring these budget tools in for warranty replacements so LM dont lose money on them.
4mm is doable, but they wont necessarily cut through at first attempt, unless you position nail correctly in jaws and your hands grip handles perfectly, otherwise you will have to re-do that attempt. Wing/Side arent your carpenters tools, they are entry level full sized multi tools just in case.

However, I suppose people might have complained and thats why pliers went back to regular shaped ones in Rev.

Good alternative between size and function and price is Rebar, though it lacks outside accessible tools.

Surge with replaceable hard wire cutters IMHO would be the best all round tool, albeit big. For a while I thought that my ST300 is an overkill given that it has seen no real life use because I carry either Wingman or SAK. But given that ST300 is really a TOOL, I can accept its size and heft :D!

As for G20x vs G30x, the dimensions on fasttech show that the G30x is bigger. Also, all 3 blades are different and “hopefully” better. The scissors also look different. The one hand opening and lock of all tools is a nice feature as well.

Those are minor differences and I doubt it makes that tool much more dependable than G20x series.
I dont own G30x tho.

My Xtar SP1 charger has arrived saturday.

At $12.69 it was a bargain I just could not let go by. I intend to use it for the 4.35V Li-Ion batteries I bought for my 1x18650 lights with a high Vf LED.
Delivery time was 20 days from ordering to my doorstep. (I don’t care how long it actually travels: my clock starts ticking the moment I place the order).
Small minus point: I knew it was the version with US plug. Plus point: GearBest supplied an adapter so it can also be plugged into european wall sockets.

Mine still in China :frowning:

With google translator

The purchase did 23 days ago and Paypal deadline is still 45 days for my country.

Got my Xtar VC2 today, still wish I bought VC4 as well for that price, higher charging current, 4 slots, NiMh option :D!

Hello every one flash sale 20:00-04:00 on 19th and 20th ( two nights, two chances ) in Beijing Time, wish you can like it.

you could use this link to check your local time and Beijing time ( Beijing is GMT+8 )

The example of finding Beijing time :wink:

1. $47.99 for Klarus XTQ2 Cree XM - L2 flashlight

2. $26.59 for Olight S15R 280LM CREE XM L2 4 - Modes Water - resistant Rechargeable LED Torch

Hello every one flash sale 20:00-04:00 on 19th and 20th ( two nights, two chances ) in Beijing Time, wish you can like it.

you could use this link to check your local time and Beijing time ( Beijing is GMT+8 )

The example of finding Beijing time :wink:

1. $47.99 for Klarus XTQ2 Cree XM - L2 flashlight

2. $26.59 for Olight S15R 280LM CREE XM L2 4 - Modes Water - resistant Rechargeable LED Torch

3.31.59 for Multi - Purpose Ganzo G302B Multi Tool

I asked for it a couple of days ago and Gearbest delivered. Thanks Gearbest!
Couldn’t resist and purchased 2 :bigsmile:

That price looks great on that G302B!

If you cant get Leatherman for cheap that is :).

Yeah I’ve looked for the past 2/3 weeks on Ebay but can’t really say that I have found a good deal on a new Leatherman shipped to Canada. It’s probably a seasonal thing and now they are more expensive since it’s summer time (ie camping time). Prices might drop in the winter time or I might find a better deal if from a Canadian seller.

Anyway, I think the G302B will make for a good first MT and I’ll keep my eyes open for a LM deal on Ebay though :wink:

And still, $31.59 and then 30% off from rebate points that I had brings it to $22 shipped to me :open_mouth: .
I can’t buy much of a LM for 22 bucks :wink:

Only received the 201H yesterday. First impressions. Quality is great for the price. Impressed. Knives, serrated knife and saw pretty sharp out of the box. Quality nylon pouch.

My 301B is still missing :frowning: I considered of doing a proper review for it.

MountainKing, try to carry that thing in that pouch on your belt and then tell me how good the pouch is :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: !
And serrated knife is useless for ropes too ;)!

That price is something too hard to argue about given the specs of G302B!
Mine wont go lover than 27.5$ so I will pass this time, it is budget LIGHT forum after all, so Im gonna invest that in BLF SD10 v2 instead 8) !

I’ve wanted an S15R since they were first announced, this price is too good to pass up.