Quintuple XHP70 flood monster. >20,000 Lumens OTF ~270W.... over 9,000°C ;-)

Well, I’ve been stewing this idea for a while, but I didn’t want to post up a thread until I had most of the parts ready and vetted.

I’ll just chuck a bunch of images here for now and will come back to fill in the details when I get a chance.

Basic idea is as follows:

-Body Loosely based on an BTU carcass (only pill and tailcap remain :P)

-Five paralleled XHP70s in 12v config running at ~4A each. Aiming for a total led current over 20Amps, that’s (13.8 X 4 X 5 = 276Watts) and whole bunch of lumens. I should be able to crack 20k lumens OTF with these specs. (the XHP70s I have are on probation until I can test them properly in these reflectors. I won’t be able to accept much of a donut hole, hopefully with the 5 OP reflectors I can achieve a decently blended hotspot. But if I can’t then I may switch to MT-G2s and take the output hit)
–24v battery pack (to keep cable current and loses low(ish)), buck regulator in light to lower this voltage to drive the 12v leds. I have two pathways I’m looking into for the custom regulator/driver, definitely needs some testing because of the high power requirements.
-Substantial 0.5kg copper heatsink and active fan cooling to handle the ridiculous heat. No idea if it will be enough at this stage but fingers crossed.
-Reflectors are 42mm C8 SSC-P7 units with Orange Peel surface.
-Reflector mounting/front end inspired by Apex/Solarstorm 5t6 using a rubber gasket and a 110mm UCLp AR lens.

There’s a fair bit going on with this build and I’ll try to explain my approach as I go along/figure things out. But for now here’s the 3d concepts.

Battery Pack is basically done.
Very similar to my first BTU build with some improvements.

–24v 3700mah Turnigy Lipo (2x 3s packs in series)
-Voltage and current meter readout
-Main power fet switch for low resistance
-Lower current means I can get away with a thinner lighter cable. No spiral stretch this time, trying out a cable tidying sleeve to keep things together. Quite like it.
–30A safety fuse in case of a short (may swap this for something a little more sophisticated)

The body so far, nothing securely combined together yet and that’s the handle from my Courui standing in for now.

A bunch more photos of the progress.

Here’s the five reflectors with their edges sanded slightly to fit snuggly within the 110mm body.

First stab at cutting the rubber gasket (silicone rubber), using a compass cutter works well and produces nice sharp edges. Though I’ll need to do a couple more to get a perfect one.

The gorgeous heatsink…

And here is how the sandwich will go together.

From the front, shame about the blue stuff on the lens. Will be working hard against the temptation to tear it off before things are ready! :open_mouth:

Oh and last but not least, here’s the parade of glowworms that will (probably) be at the heart of this thing.

Well I think that’s it for now, sorry for the image dump. Hopefully someone finds it interesting even if it’s kinda vague.

I’ll try to upload some more structured posts here in future as I make progress. I’m building this light for someone else so it’s going to be a bit of a different process than my usual (fairly aimless and meandering) build threads. :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers
Linus

Placeholder

My bib is in place, and the drooling has commenced. Eagerly awaiting updates.

Thats awesome, where did u buy that large lens and body ?

Awesome project, title is misleading… How are you going to heatsink 9,000°C (Degrees celsius) or 16232°F (Degrees Fahrenheit)??? is that even possible? :open_mouth:

Taking pre-orders?? :bigsmile:

If the fan fails that temp may well be achievable :stuck_out_tongue: (it’s a joke btw… I guess the :wink: didn’t come across well in the title)

The lens if from Flashlightlens UCLp 110mm I believe and the body is once again a combination of large camera lens hoods. The large front element is the same as I used on the courui build.

Dang it. The 20,000 lumen portable... I was happy when I broke the 15,000 lumen barrier...now it seems like 15,000 is old news.

Could have fit 6 Ledil Minnie M reflectors in there and had 6 XHP70’s.

Sure I looked at a whole bunch of potential reflector combinations. I kinda like the slightly deeper, more directional c8 reflector combo myself, not to mention I was showing off my BTU with the mtg2 combination to give an idea of what could be done. “Just like that…but… brighter!” was the response :stuck_out_tongue:

I may regret going with this option if I can’t eliminate the donutyness sufficiently with these reflectors though, the OP isn’t particularly strong but if I can get the focus just right it will probably be ok. We’ll see.

I also offered the option of sneaking a 6th emitter in a smaller reflector right in the middle of the five. That’s only going to happen if I can justifying shedding the extra heat and/or have some driver headroom left over though. :slight_smile:

InfinitusEquitas wrote:

My bib is in place, and the drooling has commenced. Eagerly awaiting updates.

LOL, for sure. Looks like I need to keep a stock of bibs next to my computers for when I open LinusHofmann threads.

LinusHofmann's Slogan: "Go big or go home!"

You’re a mad man! I want one three!

Wow wee.

Go big, then GO BIG.

My BTU Shocker Triple XHP-70 will do 20,079 lumens with 3 LG HE-2 cells on board. That’s only 3 as compared to your 5 and running 6V set-up.

With 2 cells it’s around 13,000, over 14,000 with 6 18650’s in the carrier.

My modified battery carrier DID NOT LIKE that little experiment! I almost fried the traces on the 2 pcbs of the carrier. (stinks, burned the masking off and the copper is a bit worse for wear it appears)

All these XHP builds that I have been seeing on BLF has gotten me anxious. I can’t wait until the plunger that I just ordered gets here.

awesome!

Yeah, baby! Here we go again!

By the way, the first battery pack you made was inspired and really neat. This latest pack is amazing. I find myself wanting to see one of those shielded switches where you have to flip the shield to toggle the switch. Like a master arming switch.

Regarding frying traces, maybe you could conspire with Hoop and machine a driver with big traces?