Side-by-side beamshot comparison between Sanyo (non-IMR) and the Nitecore IMR 14500 on two NC EA11s (now with VIDEO CLIP)

Yesterday I received my two NC EA11 lights and prepared the 14500 cells I plan to use with them.
One is the Nitecore IMR 14500 6.5A High Drains and the other is the Sanyo UR14500P I got from FT last year. https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10002603/1287511-authentic-sanyo-ur14500p-14500-840mah-li-ion
The charging/discharging sessions below: (discharge cap results of the 2 IMRs at 700ma rate was 660mah and 685mah, just above its rated capacity of 650mah)

!!

Now for the beamshots. The two cells were charged in my Opus at .3A, rested overnight, and tested at 4.17V before the photo session.
Take note that the EA11 beamshots on the left light are always powered by the Sanyo UR14500P, and of course the NC IMR 14500 on the right. I held the two lights together as my son took the photos.

!!

!!

I was surprised by the result. To remove the possibility that the left EA11 is brighter, on the photos below, the two light’s position was switched, but the cell used on the left is still the Sanyo and NC IMR cell on the right.

!!
!!

Well, judge for yourself! The Sanyo consistently beat the NC IMR, regardless which light it was used. Why?

My cellphone’s video rendition below, while does not show high accuracy as compared to the still photos above, nevertheless shows the highly-vaunted IMR versus the Sanyo.
Click on the YouTube logo on the bottom right to watch via Youtube for maximized video.

WTF?
I have a couple of Sanyos from FT and I ordered one nc imr for ea11.
:frowning:

Well, the Sanyo is a Sanyo. I wonder who makes NC’s IMRs ? Are there Sanyo IMR cells too?

Are the nitecores protected?

Unprotected

Good Day Tatasal,

I got the same result as you.

Best Regards,

George

Really? Well, we know the Sanyo is of unquestionable quality…

Nice beam shots. Thank you for doing the tests.

Are they using the “IMR” denomination just because people relate IMR to high drain cells or are they actually IMR?

Can you do a tailcap measure with both batteries? Judging from the photos I expect at least 1A difference, and that’s a lot.

Will try later when my son’s around to take the photo while I take the amp readings…

Edit: my dmm’s amp mode acting weird at the moment.

Do you have other brands 14500 other than Sanyo & NC?

I also ordered the Nitecore 14500 IMR to get more out the light. I am pretty disappointed now.

Do you think a protected 840 mah Sanyo will be as bright as an unprotected Sanyo?

Well, I guess there is just no beating those pink batteries! The UR14500p is all I use in my 14500 lights. And I have been VERY safisfied with them. The voltage curve of the UR14500p is a out as good as you are going to get from a 3.7V Li-Ion - alkost NiMH flat. Not only do they make your light brighter. But I’m SURE they also run a hell of alot longer than those Chinese IMR cells.As for protected cells, they probably wouldn’t run as bright. You typically lose a tenth or two of a volt through the protection circuit, which is why I don’t favor protected cells in lights that already have low voltage protection.

It would have been great if they added a low voltage protection to the EA11 but unfortunately there is none.
I drained my IMR down to 2,1V just to see if there is a protection.

So we have to check the voltage once in a while with the integrated voltmeter.

Good Day prodal,

I have the Protected KeepPower 14500 840mAh (Cell & IC made in Japan) which use the Sanyo UR14500P, and also unprotected Sanyo UR14500P.

Subjectively, I can Not see any difference in brightness when using the Nitecore EA11.

The Protected KeepPower 14500 840mAh (Cell & IC made in Japan) have become my standard 14500 batteries, due to their quality & performance.

I bought them from Banggood:

KeepPower 14500 840mAh Protected U$7.99 Rechargeable li-ion Battery | Banggood

HKJ's Review:

Test/Review of Keeppower 14500 840mAh (Black) 2014 (VERY GOOD,Cell:Sanyo UR14500P,14.4x52.5mm) | BudgetLightForum (Mar14)

Best Regards.

George

I just added a short video clip, taken from another pair of EA11s, but still using the Sanyo and Nitecore IMR 14500 in the op.