Reveiw: Nitecore MH20 (mostly images)

Nitecore MH20
(provided by GearBest)

Today I received Nitecore MH20, very nice flashlight, very nice indeed, and here are my impressions of it.

(Click the image to see details)

After receiving and short use of Nitecore new addition to their Multitask Hybrid Series I am really not
surprised that this flashlight attracts so much attention.

MH20 arrived in usual yellow-black Nitecore box with just basic info giving only a glimpse what's hidden inside.

What's included:
- Nitecore MH20 flashlight
- basic nylon holster,
- USB cable for recharging,
- lanyard,
- 2 spare O-rings (different sizes)
- spare USB port cover
- User manual and
- Warranty card

Holster is the part that I am not impressed by, I guess it will provide a means of carrying this flashlight on your belt instead in the pocket but that is it not much to say about it, i've seen better ones. It would be very nice if Nitecore would look up at Eagletac heavy duty rigid nylon holsters and start making same thing for their smaller lights.

USB charging cable is just standard, USB-A on one end to Micro USB on other end, type that you probably already have for charging your android phone or connecting some other common device like photo camera etc. This is good because even if you forget to bring your charging cable (or lost it) to work or camping or on a trip you will likely find someone (like co worker) that has the same cable or you can buy one in virtually any computer/phone store.

Excellent fit and finish is like a middle name for Nitecore, you won't be disappointed there, almost every light born at Nitecore manufacturing facilities is a textbook example how it should be done. Dynamic design, flawless anodisation and packed specs are just what you expected from this monster :)

There are a lot of surface ridges ensuring excellent grip in hand but also making sure that flashlight will not roll off easily.

Bottom side of the tailcap is flat allowing comfort tail standing even on slightly angled surfaces. Inside the tailcap is just regular, slightly thicker spring that can pack very tightly (as: it take very little space when compressed) because if you wish to use long protected cell like Panasonic NCR18650B is, it may look it will not fit but flashlight works just fine with it, and you don't even have to apply excessive force when screwing down the tailcap.

Looking at the driver you may notice that there is no retaining ring or anything similar that would hold the driver which means that it is most likely glued down discouraging unauthorised poking inside the driver's guts.

Square cut threads on both ends of battery tube and generously applied lube is something you already used to see on Nitecore lights. Also, as you can see, threads are anodised so you can lock out the light either on head side or tailcap side if you wish so, avoiding any possibility of accidental activation in your pocket or backpack...

I bet this light would look awesome with stainless steel bezel :D
anyway the front glass is AR coated, can't see that on the picture below but trust me, it is.

Let's mention some overall dimensions while we are here:
- Length: 106mm
- Bezel diameter: 32mm
- Diameter at widest spot: 34.8mm
- Diameter at narrowest spot: 22.6mm (this is where you mount the clip)
- Weight (without the battery): 86 grams

For testing purposes I used this 3 types of cells (pictured below): CR123, protected NCR18650B, unprotected NCR18650B (not much difference between this two) also I tested unprotected flat top NCR18650PF cell and, although I thought they will not work, to my suprise they work just fine but it mostly depends on cell because my unprotected flat top Samsung ICR18650-26FU cells are not working.

I did quick current draw testing using primary CR123 cells and rechargeable NCR18650PF cell (testing was done using very short 18 AWG wire connected to my multimeter) here are the results:

Mode CR123 @ 6.3V NCR_PF @ 4.1V
Moonlight
- 1 lumen
N/A N/A
50 lumens 0.13A 0.17A
230 lumens 0.45A 0.60A
410 lumens 0.92A 1.15A
1000 lumens 3.3A 3.22A

Dual stage switch and UI talk

MH20 is equipped with dual stage switch that also serves as a battery level indicator and a location indicator (helps you find the flashlight in complete darkness). Similar switch is used on P25 Smilodon also, it's much like shutter button on a photo camera and "recognizes" light (halfway) press and full press.
This allows implementation of quite interesting user interface with direct access to lowest moonlight mode from off as well as direct access to turbo mode from off.

So, here is how it works: from off halfway press for more than 1 second and you will activate moonlight mode, from off full press for more than 1 second and you will activate Turbo mode. Once the flashlight is ON you can use halfway press to change modes in ascending order. If you want to get one of the special modes (strobe/location beacon and SOS) first you have to power ON the flashlight and then press and hold the switch all the way down for more than one second to enter strobe mode. Once in strobe you can use halfway presses to circle thru SOS , Location Beacon and strobe modes. Exit by pressing the switch all the way down.

Two blue leds under the switch are utilized as a battery level indicators, when you insert battery and establish electric circle blue leds will blink that many times who much volts there is in the battery. For example if the battery is at 4.08V blue leds will blink 4 times then make slight pause and then blink one more time (rounding to 4.1V)... This voltmeter is actually quite precise, 6.34V will be rounded to 6.3V (6 blinks, pause, 3 blinks) while 4.06V will be rounded to 4,1V

I think that Nitecore did an excellent job with this flashlight especially when we talk about the UI. If the price was a bit lower this could be one of their most successful models so I can only give them compliments on this flashlight, and if you forced me to be picky, only thing that I could comment is that the rubber cover for USB port is really tight and you have to push it firmly and all the way down otherwise it will, over time, push (because it is squeezed too tightly) itself out.

Overall this is one 5 stars flashlight :) if you are thinking on buyng it go ahead, you will not be sorry.

I am interested in the UI. Is it te type that requires holding the button to change modes?

Its like a camera shutter button. Press hard to hear click and turn it off or on. After you turn it on, press halfway to change modes. Press hard to turn it off. While off you have direct shortcut access to both moonlight and turbo.

Very intuitive and easy to learn and operate. Great UI.

to turn on light, does it require to hold for a second before it actually clicks on?
and can turbo mode be memorized?

From off, to turn it on in moonlight mode, you half click and hold for about 1 sec.

From off, to turn it on in Turbo mode, full click and hold for about 1 sec.

From off, to turn it on in memorized mode (any of the five modes, ML, low, mid, high, turbo), just full click.

When ON, half click to change mode (ML, low, mid, high, turbo)

From ON, full click to turn off.

Read the manual if you want to know more. Here

Ok great. I just wanted to be sure that you do not need to hold switch down for one second to turn on.
So I guess that one second hold down only applies to quick access to turbo if your memorized mode was on say medium.
Is there a step down for turbo? I forget

Just read manual, didn’t see a stepdown. Is this confirmed?
This actually sounds like a really decent light.

There is no defined stepdown. Nitecore applied some technique called dynamic thermal control, basically the output will lower if the temperature gets too high. And this technique proved to be good (from a CPF review).

But my experience was this light was plenty bright and gets warm quickly, meaning it is well-driven and gets good thermal path, but does not go too hot to be safe.

Very good light indeed. I just wish they announce an updated MH20 with XPL HI. I will buy another one immediately.

I will make this for test the thermal management:
Runtime test of 20 minutes of NITECORE MH20.Comparison; orange line is fan assisted, blue line not fan assisted;
(the ambient temperature is 27 degrees at the time of test

This is what I was talking about. Thanks man!

I tested the 50 Lumen Mode with a Protected Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh (Green)

After 21h08m the light began to flicker shortly then turned off, the cell was at 2.8V (bad!)

It MUST be more than 50 Lumens, else this Light is a fail runtime wise.
It should have run at least double the time of my test (42h), or even more.

Very weird.

Sirius9 posted 170mA draw for 50 lumen mode on a Pana PF 2.9Ah cell.That is 1.7Ah in 10 hours,or 3.4Ah in 20 hours.3.4Ah is the Pana B.You got 21 hours and you got a problem??? :wink:

Just saying the 50 Lumen and most likely all other modes are considerably higher than stated by nitecore.
Sirius’s 170mA draw should be like ~80 Lumen, thats 60% more output than advertised.
The runtimes are actually fine, looking at the Amp. draw in each mode.
Wish i had a calibrated lightbox to check actual output.

I guess it would look like:

1000+ | ~510 | ~300 | ~85 | ~2

As opposed to the stated:

1000 | 410 | 230 | 50 | 1

Yes, integrating sphere would be nice (and useful) to have, wish I could just buy one and then mode it to show more lumens :smiley: hahahaha

Thanks for the review and great photos. :slight_smile:

Digging out this topic.

MH20 says that it’s IPX8 waterproof…how this is possible while it has rubber cover for micro-USB port?
Manker U11 has the same construction and states IPX6 which sounds much more reasonable.

USB connector inside the head might be covered with an epoxy resin, which makes it waterproof.
I heard that’s a good way to prevent leak through the connector, even if itself is wet.
Don’t know if it’s true, but sounds reasonable.

Finally fixed images…
On waterproofness topic: I disassemble a few Nitecore lights that feature USB charging and not one of them had epoxied USB connector inside the head, cowered with silicone or sealed on any other way to reduce possibility of water getting inside. An example: Nitecore P25 driver.
How they come to IPX8 rating I would also like to know.