Knife kit

I just bought this knife kit. I have a nice piece of old oak wood, it should be looking good as handle. So far i haven't build any knife kit, but I have a lot of experiance in metal working, and I'm familiar with woodworking too. If someone may have some tips regarding knife making, I'm listening.

Be careful if you are grinding/cutting the blade as heating it up much may damage the blades heat treat.

does not look like much work is needed - just polishing and fitting ..

When doing the handle , test fit the scales - panels and do the final fit - fitted and then pull apart and clean the blade one last time

if your going for the polished look , or leave it in the rough , especially if its going to be used .

Why not ask the guys who are knife crazy ?

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forum.php?s=b6e8926a3cf9ae4d207395ee7f1a8bc5

Thanks Jack, but I'm afraid if I register on that forum, this could go out of control :)

Yeah, you're probably right. Not like around here........

Bladeforums is just like CPF for knives. Just way, way, way worse.

As for tips? Make sure you treat or stabilize the wood before you make a handle out of it. Also, you're going to need to make a sheath. If you already have shop skills a kydex sheath is actually quite easy to make and doesn't cost that much for raw materials, and most of the tools needed are fairly general.

Yup. May I suggest britishblades.com? There's some overlap with BF and you still get the occasional "I'd never buy a Chinese knife!1!eleventy", but for the most part, it's much better than BF.

+1, they are worse, its not a friendly or fun forum over there.

Just finished my first knife kit, Drop Point Hunter, which I bought alongside Delta 5 kit. This is done purely for practice, before I move on to the real stuff.

Some pictures:

Wow! That's pretty darn sharp looking. Very nice!

I saw the first pic and was like "what..." then I scrolled down and saw the last one and was like "oooooooooh". Well done.

hope that blade is as sharp as the rest of it

VERY NICE

Finally finished Delta 5 knife kit. A knife handle is made of cherry wood, coated with linseed oil. I’m not completely satisfied, there are some minors mistakes, but for a second knife kit it may pass. Now I have to find a good leather to make a holster.

Looks lovely, Hrvoje. Nice work on the bolsters/guard especially.