Pop/soda can aluminum!

Hey guys, this summer I started melting my empty pop cans into ingots instead of sending them to the recycling center. The idea was to cast some 3D prints into aluminum. And I did. But today I have more aluminum than ideas. SO….

How cool would it be to make your next flashlight from pop cans? I can make the thing any size you like, even larger at one end if you like. Then you just need a metal lathe to go to work. Perhaps you could design a one piece flashlight? I have a limited supply of this stuff, but I would like to see something cool done with it!

After skimming off the slag, you would want to poor it in to a tube shaped cast and hammer forge it while it was still pink hot. Cast aluminium would suck.

Many moons ago when I was in high school, I cast things in metal shop. I remember cast aluminum being brittle. Also from what I recall, cast is a poor thermal conductor compared to forged.

Maybe Old Lumens can share his wisdom on this subject?

You must be thinking iron, aluminum does not glow red or pink at the melting point. Hot aluminum will shatter when struck with a hammer. That’s right, iron and steel get soft when they are hot. Aluminum will become brittle. It can’t be tempered either. Below 900°F aluminum is not brittle, only the alloys are. Aluminum and copper are a common alloy. Mine is just aluminum. From what I have made so far, it is great material to work with. I remove the slag and DEGAS it, so it looks like a mirror.

With a rotor?

I’m not sure what you are asking.

Asking if you use a rotor to degas.

Oh, no I use high concentration pool shock bubbled up from the bottom.

I remember it having a little pink glow just when it solidified. But this was along time ago in a school not far away.

If you can compress it in a tube shaped cast by hammering something piston shaped on top of it just after it solidified, it would be stronger.

Yea, high pressure molten aluminum doesn’t sound like my idea of a DIY :wink:

Just got to try to get the atoms a little closer together. YOLO :smiley:

Perhaps in a dark room. If you find yourself in a dark room with molten aluminum… hold very still… and re-evaluate your decision-making ability. :bigsmile:

You should send some to Old Lumens. I bet he could do something pretty cool with it!

Sounds like a lot of trouble, when you could just do this.

So, what shape are the ingots? Can you do a round “bar stock”?

The alloy used in pop cans is extremely malleable. It’s usually 3004 for the shell and 5182 for the end cap. Not sure what the final equivalent would be when mixed, but it shouldn’t be too brittle. There’s going to be a lot of slag from the plastic lining and paint I’d expect.

OMG that is funny. I’m going to add THAT to the “My Favorite quotes thread”

Lazy-R-us

I might be interested, I just re-discovered a purple laser I’ve had for ages, just the brass module that needs to be mounted. I could turn a host out of your aluminum and use a single CR123 cell.

Be worth a shot anyway, just to see how feasible it is to use. Is it possible to get an “ingot” or bar in a 1” x 4” piece?

Dilligan, on some forumns, @Old-Lumens gets their attention, not sure here.

DavidEF, the ingots are temporary storage, I will re-melt it into a round rod shape of any size. Almost any size, I only have so much molding sand.

Koloepper, Yes there is a LOT of slag each time. Removing it is easy. You could be right on the shell/end cap.

DB Custom, yea no problem, I can make a 1” round and 4” long rod easy. I don’t want any money, just a picture of what you make :). I would like to find a way for each person to pay their shipping, incase I get multiple takers.

How about making heat sinks.

heat sinks dont need to be pretty.

I know lots of folks here wish they had a heat sink they could drill and use. Yes probibly not as good as one machined but a bird in the hand (like M4D MAX’s budget contest).

Heck if you say that the Aluminum is related to copper mayby drop some copper in the mix before you pour? Then it might be pink? :wink:

For example one could make heat sinks for the S2, S2+, etc and the X6, assuming TIR triple conversions.

I bet folks would love to a DIY drill and drop-in heat sink, that lets them convert to TIR projects.

02 Lumens

Send me a 3D printable (.stl) file, and I will tell you if it’s printable and castable. It should work.