need advice on tail clicky

I received a brand new Nightfighter F30B today, and before even inserting a battery, I push the tail clicky, and the whole assembly fell out. There was no retaining ring, c-clip or anything to hold it in. I'm not a modder, short of gluing the switch in place,is there another solution to this ?

ask for a refund first?
then only you glue it up
if not you can slip some electrical tape alongside of the switch to tighten things up.

whatever you do it is not going to be waterproof as the tail will leak.

Looks like a common 501b tail switch. Try bending the tabs out a tiny bit and push it back in place. Then don’t press it without a battery installed. Some lights have press fit parts that work fine but are removed in just this fashion. You just found out how to disassemble it is all.

Edit- the battery tube probably acts as the retainer.

2nd edit - and yes sometimes parts do get glued in.

I really don’t think a refund is fair, BangGood has been good to me, and this seem more like a design based on budget, hence components issue.
Glue it is then, after all, the WHOLE thing was glued together tight anyway. How it rated a IPX-7 is beyond me, but maybe after I glued and CAULKED it, it would survive the winter rains that’s coming fast. Not upset, actually find this rather humorous, gluing and caulking a flashlight. My first step into the strange universe of modding :slight_smile:

Best make sure the tab on the side of the switch has a good contact with the tailcap body. If its insulated the torch will not work. Welcome to the mad world of modding.

+1, the bare aluminum parts inside are without anodizing for contact purposes. Make sure there isn’t any adhesive or caulk between those silver contacts on the sides of the switch and the silver aluminum they are supposed to make electrical contact with. The silver end of the battery tube also needs to contact bare metal to carry current through the body to the switch.

Sounds quite a lot like the things I do. Nothing I own gets left alone if I can see a way to improve it :bigsmile: You don’t need to glue the whole switch, just 2 dabs opposite the contact tabs should be enough to retain it, and a thin ring of sealer where it seats at the back should keep the water out. One of my secret weapons is “Shoe Goo”, a very thick-bodied glue which isn’t so active as to melt plastics. It’s meant to repair shoe soles so it holds like crazy. Like household cement on steroids, it will fix anything yet it doesn’t harden like epoxies so you can take it apart later if you really need to.

Always look for better and you’ll usually find it. Happy Modding!
Phil

you know…
If you think of it as if the cap is the retaining ring, then if the button rubber is a good seal and if a good o ring is in place it might just be water tight (were else can the water come in)?

but yes a switch that presses out if no battery is in place … well lets just say it is not a good design.

It almost looks like the threaded aluminum retaining ring is missing?