XTAR Mc1charger mod, adjustable current

Inspired by Piloddogs tincan charger and with some useful infos found in this forum I managed to mod the mc1 for adjustable current.

The MC1 is just glued around the seam; I used a knife and started at the microusb port and slowly worked my way around. After half the way the case cracked a bit open which made it easier to cut around. I slipped one or two times so better wear some gloves and maybe you can tape the charger to prevent scratching it.
Opened MC1.

The circuit consist of two parallel 4057 charging circuits, the one on the bottom is connected to the LEDs. The resistor marked R1 and with the label “59B” is the current selecting resistor. This site said it is a 4kohm resistor. R2 and R3 are currentlimiting resistors for the Leds.
Mc1 PCB bottom

The top has the same charging chip which has also the same value current selector resistor marked R4.
Mc1 PCB top

After a short search I found a datasheet with lots of Chinese in it, after using google translator a bit I just went with the self explaining pictures:
Here is a schematic of a standard circuit, which is also kind of used in the Mc1

Here is a table which shows which Rprog results in which current

So let’s check that info…in the charger there is a 4kohm resistor for each circuit and the table says this gives you 250mA so two times 250mA should give us 500mA….and that is exactly what the mc1 delivers in normal operation. I am unsure why they used two circuits in parallel because the datasheet says that one chip can deliver 500mA, maybe they feared thermal throttling or so.

After knowing what goes on I removed one of the resistors and got 250mA charge current. The resistors are really small, but there is plenty of room and with a small soldertip it was easy.
You could do this as a mod to half the stock current resulting in 250mA I recommend removing the top resistor because the bottom one is connected to the LEDs. I am unsure if this disable the chip because I can’t read the datasheet I just know it worked in my test. To be 100% sure you should check the datasheet ,unsolder the whole chip or cut the chips GND line…
Then I soldered in a small 10k pot and was able to adjust current, I tried to use one pot for both chips but that didn’t work.

I soldered on the resistor spots some cables, it’s only neccesary to use three cables because the pots are between GND and the Prog Pin. GND is everywhere the same so no need for an additional cable.
Mc1 cables for pot

Here is a short demo, the Pot I used is a stereo 10kohm pot. Of course it is to big(physical size) but it was the only one I have. 10K gives 100mA for every circuit so 200mA is the smallest possible With this setup

If I turn the resistance down I can get up to 1.5A(USB voltage needs to be high)or so, I nowhere found information of minimum Rprog….maybe someone else can find that info. I recommend using a minimum resistor in series with the pot to set maximum current to 1A. As I will try to find a smaller pot this is just a prototype for me and I always use a USB voltage detector anyway.

It runs on 1A for half an hour or so and from my feel the case gets warmer than with stock current. There are modules for sale which are basicly the same design and are using a 1.6kohm resistor for 1A resulting current so I guess it should work fine…I made this for using smaller currents because I want to charge my smaller batteries with it, which I usually do around 0.3A(0.5C).

I just measured the voltage with my DMM on the 9V battery setting(it pulls some mA while measuring) and the voltage differs when I turn the pot. On 500mA setting the voltage is a bit(0.03V) lower. I don’t trust my multimeter in this range for absolute measurements but I guess that is why they have used two parallel chips. So watch out the termination voltage might be a bit higher than stock or lower…

Edit:
I just assembled it together after I sprayed the metal piece some days ago with matt black paint. I changed wiring to come out of the small side and soldered a 1.5kohm resistor to reduce maximum current inseries with each pot. I now have 0.96A max and 0.15A minimum current. I also put a bit of 2k epoxy on the micro USB socket to enforce it a bit, it looked super strong but Warhawk mentioned it somewhere that his broke…

I simply used a permanent Marker for marking the different currents, maybe a logarithmic pot would have been better because if you watch the distances between the lines it’s not linear.

Nice mod. So what would you change to lower the current without using a pot?

So that would be R3 or R4?

I was still in Progress when you asked your question so all infos should now be in the first post.

That would be R4, but as I said it worked in my test but I am unsure if it disable the chip totally so if you are sure you will never undo the mod I would recommend removing the whole charging chip(marked U2) from the top.

R2 and R3 are only current limiter resistors for the Leds.

So do we think the 1amp “MC1 plus” is just a normal MC1 with a different resistor?

noooo…. :stuck_out_tongue:

I just bought gazillion of stuff to build my own charger with the retention slider etc… i should have done it by using the MC1, using directly its slider and its circuits would have been less expensive and probably more effective and safe (instead of those noname TP4056 boards)

yeah, I was going to buy a balance charger and going to build my own charging setup. Once I added up all the connectors, quality battery holders for each size (or sliding holders) and all the time + parts I realized it will be more expensive than any other charger you can just buy!

but this mod seems decent, think I’ll buy a MC1 and try it myself.

Maybe someone with a mc1plus is willing to open and inspect it…?
I just tried to charge a battery with 1.1A but after a couple of minutes the LED began to flicker so I guess that was some sort of shutdown maybe thermal or so, I needed to go back a bit and then it worked…sadly all my batteries are charged up so I need to play more with my lights instead of chargers today.

I am searching the Internet for a nice stereo potentiometer, the best would maybe a slider one which can be fixed to a common baseplate

I could make a scale to select the suitable current without any meter…sadly these pots are expensive(2-3times the mc1) and I have nothing laying around what I can use…
But I don’t see how I can fix the currently used pot on the charger in a neat way…maybe I will play around with a bend in shape piece of metal this evening.

Heh, nice mod!

Up to 1A should be the norm for 18650 charging even in such small charger as MC1.
Some sort of auto detection of smaller sizes would avoid charging 10440/16340/14500 at too high currents.

For autodetection you could simply buy the mc1plus :wink: or some more of the mc1 modded and labeled to different currents…but I have no fear using the wrong current because I usually double check everything and there are even people who charge everything even the 14500 with 1A without any direct problem. Also a poti seems to be a really intuitive selector.

I bend a piece of metal to use the poti I already have its not super neat but it will work okay, I will paint it in the next days if I find a suitable spraycan anywhere and reassemble the wiring.

Also the Nitecore UM10 which switches between either 1amp or 500ma based on length of cell. It also has a “% of full” meter but I think it just goes off of voltage. It stays at 99% for a looong time before going to 100%

Having an easier to adjust one would be cool though. Maybe find smaller pots that you could mount inside the MC1 case with only a knob or something poking out?

The problem is that you need 2 pots and I don’t want to play around with asynchronous levels of the charger chips and so two single pots is no way for me(but it would be possible)…there are pots which have a hole through the body and I guess with a longer handle they could be mounted behind each other. Stereo pots seem to be outdated and if they are available they are big like mine. At least I have not found a suitable one for me.
Space should be enough on top of the PCB, I first planned to use one of the small blue 10k pots you can see in one of the photos. That would have been super neat, just a small hole in the case.

I don’t care if the charger is 3 cm longer I like to use things I have layin around and I can play a bit with my nibbler to make a small metal housing:)

I am looking forward to see iterations of this mod from others…
If they do a sale on the mc1 again I probably would buy another one to try a different style.

Duplex pot do not work?

Oh man thanks for that hint, never heard of them but it seems that they are small and two in one…I always searched for stereo by put duplex brings up a lot of other possibilities

This one here is just 14mmX1mm
http://www.ebay.de/itm/231752635851
That might be a nice fit…

Well i discoverd it just to day thanks to your topic….

but this is more what i was thinking

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?shipCountry=IT&shipFromCountry=&shipCompanies=&SearchText=duplex+potentiometer&exception=&minPrice=&maxPrice=&minQuantity=&maxQuantity=&isFreeShip=y&isFavorite=n&isRtl=n&isOnSale=n&isBigSale=n&similar_style=n&similar_style_id=&CatId=400502&SortType=price_asc&initiative_id=AS_20151124114900&isAffiliate=y&needQuery=y&isOnlyAffiliate=y

Gearbest has the mc1 for a reasonable price again :wink:
http://www.gearbest.com/chargers-batteries/pp_94490.html
No coupon or anything just a nice price and they said that this will not come again in near future because of the MAP

I bought one and I will order some small duplex pots to try another mod…

I did the same lol… MC1
plus 5x 10K duplex pot for 1.xx dollar total

to be honest i was very undecided for the MC2, since seems able to put just 250mA, but i do not like how it charges in HKJ review.
Also the slider does not move for the full lenght of the space, and the 250mA are triggered just by sensing the voltage drop in the input,s o…

Which pots did you order?

1.15$ bought thru their app

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-Pcs-B10K-10K-ohm-6-Pins-Split-Shaft-Rotary-Linear-Dual-Taper-Potentiometers/32241048882.html