WARNING: Cometa – read/fix BEFORE inserting battery

I’ve got 2 of these on their way, don’t even want them now. Worst thing is that one of them was for a muggle mate.

I do not hope for redemption, I hope for a thread to be followed by all and it is us who make it a much too long and negative thread. Just wait there is no point in repeating things already said three tmes nor attack personally, it is your and others responsibility to think about greater good and let the organisers come with input and let new receivers catch up.
Feel free to start new thread for your mass claim idea, a fix thread, sure cool go ahead!

Since I have nothing more to add I will refrain from posting till I

A
find a solution not mentioned

B
find an issue not mentioned

C
receive word from organisers about a solution or denying a solution

And I urge all to do the same, if only from the point of civilisation, adulthood, good manners and good spirit so typical of BLF.

FIXUP NOTE: be careful if you put a “butterfly” spacer with square hole over the LED, there’s a known risk that it will rotate and rip the LED off the board especially when hot.
And the emitter does have a clear cover over the phosphor which can also be peeled off accidentally, if you happen to twist a spacer around that runs into it.

I don’t know of a butterfly spacer with the bigger round hole that could rotate without contacting the emitter.

ALTERNATIVE: the 19mm 3M stick-on insulators have a hole big enough to rotate around the LED if they come unstuck, and the outside diameter is big enough to cover the solder bumps. Those squish down comfortably when you tighten the black parabolic thing down, and stay stuck to the board so they don’t rotate easily.

Not centered yet in the picture:
!

!

The Miller, start a new thread titled ….COMETA Solutions ….

Lock it.

Only let person with real answers post.

That is the only way any thread will ever be clean & clear.

LOL. Thank you Killforfood! I have had a fractured neck, fractured ribs, a hole punctured through my bottom lip, three concussions, a bleed on the brain and still have a steel plate and 6 screws in my forearm, but by the grace of God, the brain seems to be functioning at a relatively adequate level all things considered.

You are not alone in feeling this way. Mine is ready for collection at the post office and I’m feeling quite nervous about the required dissembly, mods, and turning it on.

Whilst it is good that the warning is more prominent in the first post of this huge thread, there is no mention in the first post about the raised solder shorting issue. This needs to be addressed.

Haha, great catch as well as a great response teacher! I had not noticed the “caveat emptor” part as I was too focused on his spelling of “sissies”…and then it occurred to me that Sharpie must be a Brit! How ironic that the guy who doesn’t like US laws has such strict weapon laws in his country that a flashlight might be his only option? Don’t forget the strobe there Sharpie! Lol.

What about something with an adhesive backing such as a firm rubber which could be cut as well as molded to the shape of the retaining disc?

I can't see any differences in the lens, so at least that's the same.

I ordered NW and my box has "V0 3B" on the label, so I assume it's a V0 bin. Probably right from my measurements.

Hhmm, this is really good news bout the Super Lube - gotta try some!

I can see differences in the threads, and I took pictures. I never had to touch the stock Z1's zoom threads though, still feels great.

Kept everything totally stock, and I measured 5.72A on the clamp meter, on a EFEST 26650 4200 @4.19v. With the NW V0 3B:

Lumens in flood: 1078 @start, 1044 @30 secs (think turbo timeout kicks in at ~30 secs though as shipped!!)

Throw: 140 kcd, taken at 5 m (748 meters)

I think the relatively low #'s for the high amps is probably the V0 3B, but it's also important to know when I take measurements, I'm not measuring with a true 5.72A because of loss's in the tail. I measured the loss's and it's about 6.6% in lumens, probably over 10% in kcd (not measured though). This is why it still pays off to bypass wire the tail spring. You will probably get the full 6.6% back.

+1 Brett H and thanks. Dang I missed that spelling.

I was just trying to decide why he would write something that would force him to “butt-out”??

Well, look at it this way, his flashlight will most likely be black therefore evil you know, like the evil black AR :person_facepalming: … so he can call it an Assault Flashlight.
Wait, stop the bus…. Sharpie living under the Crown, may actually call it a “torch”.

So ’Assault Torch’ would probably be the proper designation.

The bloke could show it off to the other chaps as they had Crumpets and Tea at the club.

Wonder if they have to show the Bobbies a CC Permit for an ’Assault Torch’??

This is what I did to take care of the wires:

Before (stock):

After, low flow, shiny clean with 99% isopropyl alcohol:

I used one of the 19 mm 3M isolators for the batt+ end problem:

Jax Z1 pill vs. Cometa (those bent needlenose have bent 100's of 7135 pins, and were used to hold down the wires for flattening):

JAX Z1 zoom threads:

Cometa zoom threads:

Z1 on left, Cometa on right:

Slide show of all Cometa pics so far: photobucket TomE Cometa shots

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Like I said Sharpie, don’t forget the strobe mode Lol! It appears you were correct on the naming of this “lethal torch” teacher Lol!

Thanks Tom E. I suppose that means there’s either variability in the Z1 or the Cometa. At least pertaining to the lens.

My Z1 is one of an older batch so they may have made changes to them since then. My Z1 has a green AR coating. The Cometa has a pink AR coating. Eventually planning on testing to see if there’s a difference as soon as I can get out my iron to flatten the joints and stick some tape on the pill.

Oh my gosh, that link…. what a find Brett H !!
The only word that comes to mind is………… “priceless” !!!

I must agree, for “not being a smart man”, I did good when I came up with…………… ‘Assault Torch’ !!

I do still wonder about the CC Permit though…………. :wink:

Hi Tom E,
Does the glass lens of the JAX Z1 fit into the Cometa? I’ll probably have to buy one ’cause mine came broken and I’m not sure if I can sort that out with BG.

Thanks
Wolf

PS: I was really disappointed when I first tried the zooming, as I expected differently from JAX! Now it gets clear slowly….

Just make sure that you use a High temperature non-conductive tape (like Kapton or another polyimide tape) or a High-temperature washer.

Best Regards,

George

+1,000,000,000,000,000

+1,000,000,000,000,000

This thread is fast becoming useless to anyone but teacher, Brett-H, & bella-headlight.

Best Regards,

George

G'Day Tom E & unknown00101,

Thank you Very Much for the Valuable information.

Best Regards,

George