Adjusting the number of posts per thread?

Hi, I’m guessing this post will not be a concern for the majority of fellow BLF members due to their unlimited data usage, but I hope that it may be beneficial for those of us that do not. Personally, I live in the country which means my internet connection is via the cell towers with a costly monthly fee ($80) for a limited usage of 10GB. Additional Mb’s are 25 cents apiece! (legal thievery for sure IMO)

I have been looking around the forum to learn if there is a way to at least lower/change/adjust the # of posts that are loaded per page each time I look at a thread. So far I am not having any luck finding a way to do it. My limited data usage is being consumed extremely fast, especially with many threads/pages having “higher data pictures” that are unnecessarily repeated many times on the same page. For the record: I am happily addicted to BLF and cannot handle withdrawal treatments or therapy :SICK:

I’m really hoping there is a way to adjust the viewing options, as I cannot continue to load 50 or 100 posts per page just to read the first post (again, especially with superfluous pics). Also I’d rather not PM the administrator with all that is going on with the recent site changes, so I (and others O:-) ) appreciate your “possible” help resolving this.

Thank you and enjoy your unlimited viewing pleasure!

Perhaps there is a browser extension that offers something like click-to-load for images. You can disable all images but that certainly seems less than ideal.

I’m afraid the option to adjust posts per page was lost in the recent forum software upgrade. Not sure if it can be easily re-added. Some forum functions were handled by addons which are no longer compatible. The admin did put off the upgrade but it couldn’t be avoided any longer since security updates would no longer be available for the old software.

with the recent forum upgrade I do not believe there is a way to adjust post count, but you could probably find a browser extension/plugin that stops auto-downloading/caching the pictures until you click on them or something like that. You’d want to make sure the extension actually stops the download though, not just hide the image.

edit: Halo… beat me to it

Hmmmm…

I’ve never looked for that option, but I’m on cellular as well, and feel your pain! :-((

I think the biggest issue on the site is related to threads with many large high-megapixel images. Even if they are scaled down through the forum view, the full resolution photo is still downloaded across your pricy data connection. I typically resize my photos to a small 640x480 jpg, which is usually enough to show what I’m trying to demonstrate, but small enough that it’s practically inconsequential.

I did discover this while searching for a possible solution to your issue:

It seems that Google browsers can operate via a Proxy, which first loads your page view through a remote server which compresses the images, then passes the compressed view onto your browser, to reduce data usage. They claim a 50% compression in the size of pages viewed. I’ve not tried it, but it looks interesting, and I may give it a shot.

edit—
You can also completely disable the images from loading if you like:

Couple extensions for firefox which may work
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/imglikeopera/reviews/ (only works after you go to the url about:config and set browser.cache.use_new_backend_temp to false)
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/policeman/

That data saver option looks nice. Easy to use

Thank you all for trying to help. I’m nearing retirement age and computer illiterate to say the least, but I think I may try and give Firefox a feeble try. It’s probably a big mistake for me to even attempt anything like this but I have to try something. Withdrawal, you know.

Referencing Google Chrome, in the past it seemed too complicated and problem prone, and was too “controlling” for my taste but maybe that has changed.

Dang I’m lost, but still hanging in there,ohhh, the pain

Sorry I did not mention the fact that I use a PC and do not have a data cell phone. Maybe that simplifies my problem? I HOPE!

Thanks again, you guys really are appreciated!

You’re not the only one annoyed by paying needlessly for that:

https://www.google.com/search?q=reduce+data+charge+web+internet+picture

finds among other ideas

And there’s always the hope that people will actually be kind if we ask them to stop repeated posting and quoting of images in replies and signatures.
Once having seen a picture, few people need to see it again — and that’s what backscroll is for.

P.S. — you can also block the sites being used to serve repetitive images with uBlock.
I’ve done that with a lot of the images that keep being repeated taking up lots of screen space with no added information, to reduce the annoyance and distraction.

The old forum had an option but i have not looked since the upgrade
Do modern browsers still offer no images option?

Just try Opera browser with Turbo on, it has built in data compression - saves tons of data especially on images. Make sure you turn the compression on, last time I used it the option was off by default.

SB doesn’t mind this sort of query so definitely do send him a pm.

Wow that is too much indeed , I have optic-fiber connection with 5MBdownl./2.5MB upload. unlimited for 13$ per month, and yes I do live
in economical underdeveloped country !

Big +1 for Opera with Turbo, both on the desktop and for Android. I used to activate data packets of ~10MB for $1 on my Android smartphone, and with Opera Mini with images disabled and Opera Turbo compression enabled, I could easily browse all day long until the battery died without getting anywhere near my data limit.

I’m getting some great feedback and it helps me in a positive way for sure. I think there is hope if I ask the right questions so here goes,
Is Opera browser a stand alone or an add-on to Firefox?

Is Google Chrome worth adding? Just seems like it is too invasive but I’m only going on hearsay other than unstalling it from my dear mammys (83 yrs old) PC. She installs things like that because it’s so easy to click “agree” O:) >:#

I’ll wait a bit before PM’ing SB and maybe it won’t be necessary. I have to hear about Opera and it sounds great to me if it cures my ailment!!!

Nikola S, Yes, how I ponder at times of living in a reasonably priced environment. I understand as you do (implied :slight_smile: ) that there is high expense to operate the internet world, but it shouldn’t mean they can put the screws to the customer. I am happy for everyone that can enjoy the web at a fair price, and wait for the day we see it too!

My mobile PC connection (Virgin Mobile Pre-paid Wifi) is similar but a bit less costly. I use it as little as possible since open wifi’s are common at stores around here. Firefox had a “no add-ons” option that disables most pics (and a lot of ads) from loading but I don’t know if that will reduce the bandwith used since the sites will still be trying to transmit them.

The US has websites to find open wifis wherever you go- perhaps there’s something like that where you are. If you do use public wifi your security needs to be good- they’re favorite spots for hackers to try their skills at. I look for the less-used ones to minimize the chances of being on with a hacker present- they go for the most popular spots.

Phil

It looks as though Opera is a nice choice for increased speed and reducing data usage which is what I am after, but it is reviewed as less secure. While it is very nice review and I am tempted to try it, first I have to overlook the review making the choice for speed as a trade-off for security. For now security is winning out but then I only have 1 day of reduced BLF surfing under my belt, so it is still early and things can change.

I think for now, at least to satisfy my data intake habit, I’ll surely be visiting some in-town cousins and share the wifi there. You know, where unlimited usage is the norm.

I’ve been living out in the quiet country for 6+ years and I hope this site doesn’t end up being “the” reason I move into town! lol

I wonder just how serious this addiction can get! :smiley:

SB’s response on the migration discussion thread:

Funny, he didn’t directly say so in post #13 of this discussion.

Bummer! I also used 300 posts per page to speed up searches. I hope a way is found to bring this back.

Seconded. I would love to see 300 comments per page again.

I save threads as MHTML files on my PC and read them on my tablet so I would use even more. But 300 is the maximum in Drupal 7.

I found this but I have no clue if it is useful.

(Sorry, my first post and not about flashlights. Well, next time.)

Before RC beats me to it!!! >-)