Convoy S2+ Desert Tan Available Now!

You can get it directly from Simon.

Contact him directly with message on aliexpress

Yes, it terms of the dimmensions they will probably fit as Persechini said. You may have to sand a bit the plastic holder to make it fit perfectly, but they will fit, because the host is equal to a “normal” S2+.

But…here you have some images (click to open bigger photo):

The XPL-HI doesn’t fit perfectly on the lens, as you suspected! The XML2 LEDs fit perfectly on the holder and the Lenses. The XPL-HI has some empty margins in all sides.
Using the white gasket doesn’t help to center that much. The best option - at least for me - was to take the gasket out and use the TIR in the plastic holder.
The beam is not that bad, but it is not completely defined as in a SMO or OP reflector. It works.

Clear TIR 60º Lens - Produces a super “hot” hotspot and some spill. The hotspot is more intense than with a SMO reflector, and the spill is smaller than with a SMO.

Pebbled 60º Lens - Unlike the XML2 LEDs, on the XPL-HI, there is a “small” glimpse of an hotspot. Both “hotspot” and spill are floody with this lens. XML2 LEDs with these lenses give a more floody and homogeneous beam.

SMO Reflector (the original)

OP Reflector (the ones use mostly on the other S2+) - the hotspot is still intense, and it seems less defined a bit wider than on a SMO.

Hope this helps!!

On the right and middle there are TIR lens (clear surface, 60º; pebbled, 60º), and on the left, a reflector (OP).

The stripped ( = ) TIR lens can be seen here, along with other TIR lens that fit the S2+ flashlights: 0.47€ 84% OFF|10/25/45/60 grad TIR objektiv, streifen led objektiv für XML XML2 LED|led for|cree ledlens cree - AliExpress

About the OP reflector, as XXX-Man said, contact Simon through AliExpress store. Recently I ordered 2 reflectors and I wanted 1 SMO and 1 OP, and asked Simon for it.

You can also try to see if these reflectors fit (Kaidomain Store in AliExpress):
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/20mm-D-x-12mm-H-OP-Aluminum-Reflector-for-Cree-XM-L/708513_32729065065.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.24741740eMRTpN

But the best option is to talk to Simon at Convoy Store!!

That was very informative and helpful. I’m definitely going to grab one of the pebbled 60degree lenses for an upcoming project.

Also, I added an OP reflector to my desert tan and I like how the hotspot is smoothed out a bit. It’s more like my Zebralight HI.

Thanks :wink: I hope it helps, despite this was made in a rush! :smiley:
Some days ago I made some “essays” with TIR lenses, on a S2+ XML2. Here’s the link, maybe it can help: Essays with TIR lenses on Convoy S2+: XML2 + XPL-HI [Update]

The pebbled lens is pretty nice for floody homogeneous beam in XML2 LEDs. On XPL-HI, a slight hotspot (blurred) can be noticed.
I like to use it with warmer tint LED (XML2 T6-4C)

Yup, the OP produces a larger but very intense hotspot, not sot defined as a SMO, but pretty intense actually!

BTW, Left to Righ:
S2+ XML2 T6-4C OP reflector > S2+ Tan XPL-HI U6-3A SMO Reflector > Modded SSteel light XML2 U2-1A SMO reflector

S2+ XML2 T6-4C OP reflector > S2+ Tan XPL-HI U6-3A OP Reflector > Modded SSteel light XML2 U2-1A SMO reflector

S2+ Tan XPL-HI U6-3A SMO Reflector > Modded SSteel light XML2 U2-1A SMO reflector

S2+ Tan XPL-HI U6-3A OP Reflector > Modded SSteel light XML2 U2-1A SMO reflector

At ceiling:
S2+ Tan XPL-HI U6-3A OP Reflector vs S2+ Tan XPL-HI U6-3A SMO Reflector

Interesting to notice than, in lower levels, the hotspot of XML2 LED flashlight with SMO reflector is as defined as it is with a XPL-HI. On higher outputs, despite having some hotspot definition, but being an XML2, it becomes wider and not so defined.

XPL-HI, also becomes wider on a OP reflector, as mentioned! It also produces a “strange” effect. When turned ON at max power (ex: level 6 of Biscotti = 100–20–1%) the hotspot seems to provoke a “fade”.
Meaning: my eyes tell me that XPL-HI using OP, when turned ON at max, seems to produce higher output beam than when using SMO reflector, and then “fades” and stabilizes and get more defined.

But, these are just my eyes, not an accurate measurement. I don’t have another XPL-HI S2+, otherwise I would compare side by side…

I ordered mine directly from simon but haven’t heard back. did he start his Chinese holiday already?

Thanks MascaratumB for those comparison images. Very useful! Can Simon install these as standard on request or is it modder only?

There is a notice in a large font size at the top of the homepage of the Convoy aliexpress store that clearly states no deliveries until after October 7. Not in those exact words, but just saying…

Glad it helped :wink:
Hum, I never posed myself that question. I guess those are mostly modding options.

But, communication with Simon is pretty easy going, so maybe (reinforce, maybe!) he is open to that situation, to send a light with TIR optics by request.
In previous orders I asked him driver changes (3/5 modes to biscotti) and he arranged that, adjusting the price, of course!

Maybe this can be a similar situation! If you can, please contact him and ask that :wink:

BTW, his store will be closed the next days, due to Chinese holiday! The Convoy Store @ AliExpress mentions that! As korpzgrinda said above ^ :smiley:

I ordered weeks ago. Was hoping for at least an acknowledgement. The banner doesn’t show up as I’m always on my phone.

That’s very odd, as I made an order on 9/19 and saw the tracking number was issued on 9/23. It’s supposedly at the Shenzen sorting center now. Not sure if any of that information will help, but I hope there isn’t any huge delay and it works out OK for you.

Anyone know if the Desert Tan S2+ at GearBest uses 8*7135? https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_724946.html
I have a fellow light painter interested, but requiring the 3/5mode firmware for the constant 10Hz strobe instead of the variable strobe in the latest Biscotti version.

Ordered mine 9/14 but it was a special with biscotti if that makes a difference

Let’s make a note here: the deep reflector on the left is for the S2, not the S2+.

S2: thin pill, deep reflector
S2+: thick pill, shallow reflector

Was it advertised as having Biscotti?

Only newer models are advertised with biscotti, but you can ask Simon to mix and match the host, driver, led and reflector in the older listings

My desert tan s2+ left New Jersey 3 days ago so it might be here tomorrow. Thanks to the failure to acquire a light offered by another member I had deposited funds to cover (I keep a minimal balance in the account linked to paypal and deposit as needed - bank employees are familiar with my reason and I go there often enough that I’m greeted by them by name when I walk in) but today I went to a different branch while shopping for mom and after waiting in line for over 1/2 hour found someone else got it and I had funds in the account I didn’t want to leave there. It didn’t take long to decide how to use them. I really liked the lucidrv driver I purchased from DrJones that I had in the S2 I sent to my brother in Tampa and ordered a h17f from RMM. I have a feeling this will be a really nice combination - an s2+ with thermal regulation and configurable mode groups.

Thank you MascaratumB for your extremely informative and helpful posts!

Received my desert tan s2+ today and am mostly happy with it. The color is somewhere about midway between my baked astrolux s41 and baked convoy l4. As I suspected, since I find the 3d tint my preferred cree tint the 3a tint though a bit cooler is a good alternative. My only negative observation is the gap between the tailcap and battery tube. It will be simple enough to remove about 1mm from the tube to eliminate it. The H17F was shipped from mtnelectronics today and based on past orders will arrive friday or saturday. When I install it I plan to sand down the centering ring a bit and install spring bypasses. It’s also possible I might change my mind and put the H17F in the s41, the s41’s driver in the s2+ (I like bi-directional mode stepping), and order a few TA boards from osh park to build.

Overall the quality is excellent. I like the feel of the metal button more than the slightly mushy feeling silicone covers commonly used although that mushy feeling is relatively simple to fix using a bit of rtv silicone and a razor blade. The reflector is smooth and without flaws. Anodizing is excellent with no blemishes. Though replies were curt and after mentioning blf no discount was offered or applied I feel the price was fair for the quality and would not hesitate to buy from Simon again.