Convoy S2+ Desert Tan Available Now!

I still haven’t been able to afford to order one yet :frowning:

Man, I feel ya. I saved up for two months to be able to afford an S2.

Well, these are a bit “amateur” (photos taken with cellphone), but maybe they can help a bit :wink:
L to R (S2; OP; XML2 T6-4C / S2; SMO; XPL-HI U6-3A (desert tan) / S2+; OP; XML2 U2-1A)
All at 100%, 8*7135

S2+; OP; XML2 T6-4C vs S2+; SMO; XPL-HI U6-3A

S2+; OP; XML2 U2-1A vs S2+; SMO; XPL-HI U6-3A

The center spot of the Desert tan is more defined than the others with a OP reflector. About the beam, it is thiner, as expected.
The tints in the photos are not that accurate, but I can’t do white balance, so I’m sorry about that.
Maybe someone with a good camera can help better :wink:

Thank you. This is helpful.

So, given the tighter beam, does this new S2+ Desert Tan still make for a good walking light, in your opinion?

Hum, I must confess i didn’t took it for a night walk yet!
I’ll do it tonight and maybe then I can answer it to you, is that ok? :wink:
I’ll take all of them with me and I’ll try to say which one is better (for me)!
But, I normally like lights that have a more floody beam, even for walks.
One thing I must say is that using it on max output with 8*7135 chips, makes it get hot rapidly!

So, my guess is that if we wanna use for a walk with max output, in a dark place, for a long time, it will get really hot!
If one uses it with 4 or 6 chips, or use a 50% output, maybe it doesn’t get that hotter.

BTW,

a) Heres a S2+ XPL-HI U6-3A with OP reflector

b) Heres a S2+ XML2 U2-1A with SMO reflector

In comparison a) vs b) (Left to Right)

Comparison S2+ XPL-HI U6-3A with OP reflector vs S2+; XML2 T6-4C; OP

Despite the change of reflectors, the XPL-HI still has a more defined centre, but it seems it gets smaller, giving it a more floody aspect.
Using a SMO reflector with XML2 leds defines the spot, but they remain a bit floody.
As seen above, despite the bad quality of the photos, the a) and b) become similar, but a) still has a more defined spot!

I has some measurements about S2+.
Clear Smo reflector XP-L HI V2 1A, 2800 mA, 879 lumen, 12300 Cd, 221m throw
Normal OP reflector XM-L2 T6 3B, 2800 mA, 897 lumen, 4800 Cd 138m throw

Tangra tested the 7135x6 config, and his results are that the light gets just as hot as 7135x8, only not as fast. Now 7135x4, I don’t know. I can attest that an S2 in 7135x3 gets warm, but not hot.

For running a Convoy with a considerable number of 7135’s on max for a while, I’d recommend something with fins or at least more surface area. I have both an M1 and a C8 that are 7135x8, and even when walking on foot during a windless night, they get warm and no more :slight_smile:

I have an older S2+ with 7135x4. It gets warm, but not uncomfortable to hold.

This is the kind of data I can’t provide! Thanks ZozzV6 :wink:

I guess you may be right! For a walk in a dark space where more light is needed for a longer period, another model of flashlight may be better using this kind of driver. :+1:

I’ll still take my S2+ for a walk tonight and try to see what tint and beam can be more “useful” or suitable for night walks :wink:

I have a table with all my lights and one of my flashaholic friends light measurements. It contains 62 different flashlight setups. Has a lot of same lights like S2+ C8 but with different leds or currents or reflectors. Maybe I open a topic and make it readable for everyone.

How long before you’re unable to hold it in bare hand?

I’ve heard good things about the M2. The user said it’s very similar to the M1, only floodier, and the M1 already has excellent heat dissipation for its size and a good general purpose beam pattern that I love to bits for both indoors and outdoors :laughing: Worth a shot, perhaps?

I’m not got at interpreting measurements, so far, but I guess lots of friends here would be pleased to get some of those :wink:

Hum, gotta see some things of the light first, specs, reviews, videos!!
Most of my flashlights are “tube” lights, I just have 2 with a more larger head, so I don’t know if I’d take one of those, at least not now :wink:
But, being a Convoy, I guess that quality is assured whatever the choice is :smiley:

I didn’t went to the point where it is “unholdable”, I didn’t want to eventually damage it!
4 minutes and the head is ver hot, 7 minutes and the top of the tube starts to get a bit hot, and when I took the battery out (Samsung 30Q), the top was slightly warm as the rest of the cell.
I must say that the battery wasn’t fully charged when I tested it.
Also, environment conditions are not controlled. It’s just hand feeling :wink:

With 8x7135 and a 18350 (Aspire 1100mAh), the S2+ XP-L HI battery tube exceeds 50 degrees C at about 5 minutes. Takes naturally longer if you hold the light the whole time.

I find that a S2+ on 30% power is sufficient for night walks. Just use 100% when you need to see a bit further.

As I said before, I took the three S2+ for a night walk. And here’s my veredict (for me, of course)! Just my opinion!

For a night walk I would prefer the desert tan or a configuration like the one I have on it, namely the SMO reflector.
I don’t know if using a XML or XPL-HD led with a SMO reflector would make a difference, namely to get a bit of throw and a bit more of flood.
But, using a XPL-HI with the SMO reflector is a nice configuration for a night walk. It helps to focus some spots in close, medium and longer range, better than those with OP reflector.
The ones with OP are nice, of course but I realised that they would be preferable for indoor use, especially comparing with a SMO.

The only thing I’m not able to judge is if a XPL-HI of a warmer tint would be better than a neutral one for a night walk, or not.

I compared both tints (with different reflectors) and I really like the XML2 T6-4C for outside, namely in tree environment.
I juts don’t know if this tint (XML2 or XPL-HI version) would be better with the SMO.
For a more urban environment, buildings and so on, I guess a Neutral White one is better, though.

I took some pics. Sorry for the bad quality, but here you have them!
a) Desert Tan - SMO, XPL-HI U6-3A

b) S2+ - OP, XML2 U2-1A

c) S2+ - OP, XML2 T6-4C

c) vs a)

Hope it helps :wink:

Can be held indefinitely by the head by changing hands. The head stays below 50 with human heat sinking. Gets a bit uncomfortable though.

To me it has helped me a lot !!, thanks for the images, I definitely need a Sand (Tan) XP-L Hi ……