SpaceX ... Like a Boss....

NSFW: contains profanity. But it’s pretty damn good. :smiley:

Elon Musk, head of SpaceX, tweeted that video (then quickly deleted it).

Arstechnica - Falcon soars into space and lands on the ocean

First landing at sea ever. Many millions of dollars of hardware returned to earth instead of being lost, as they were previously, after every satellite launch or space station resupply.

A little background, SpaceX is a little startup (compared to the established players) who comes onto the scene and starts launching satellites at prices that uncuts everyone. In May 2015 they were even certified as safe and reliable enough to launch “national security space missions”. Previously, United Launch Alliance (ULA), a joint venture of Lockheed Martin and Boeing, faced zero competition for these military launches. ULA actually stated that it would go out of business unless won more launch contracts. When a contract for a GPS 3 satellite launch came up, ULA did not even submit a bid. ULA’s VP of Engineering said they can not compete, despite the fact that, according to him, the government “bent over backward” to favor ULA. link
To say SpaceX has been “disruptive” to the commercial aerospace industry would be an understatement. And now they have landed their rocket on a tiny boat on the ocean so that they can reuse it.

That “I’m on a boat” video fits perfectly.

That is cool…

Check out this documentary i think you will like it….

I love that song Halo. The first time I heard it was about 2am in the morning on a cruise ship after I’d had just a couple of drinks on the out skirts of a cyclone. That was one sick cruise for a lot of people. :confounded:

Very impressive.

if you watch it backwards it looks like its taking off.

Looked like pretty rough seas as well. That barge was bobbing around in the waves. This is a big deal.

Russian answer: https://twitter.com/Novorossiya_PR/status/719191223911587841

True…

Unfortunately SpaceX are decades after Roscosmos and NASA…or like John Glenn said several years ago, if you wanna be an astronaut start studying russian

:laughing: I thought it was serious until I saw the video / gif.

Aren’t the spacex rockets based on the soyuz rockets?

You might be thinking of Orbital Science’s rockets, powered by soviet-era engines. One bound for the space station exploded after launch in October 2014.

Nope. They use their own rocket engines. Developed by SpaceX.

They are currently using 9 of their Merlin 1D rocket engines in the first stage of each Falcon 9 FT launch vehicle.