Test/Review of Blitzwolf Mini power bank 3350mAh BW-P2

Blitzwolf Mini power bank 3350mAh BW-P2

The Blitzwolf brand covers many different products, this time it is a small power bank I am looking at.

The specifications are:

• Model: BW-P2

• Capacity: 3350mAh/12.06Wh

• Battery Type: SANYO/Panasonic Li-ion Battery * 1

• Input: 5V/1.5A (Rated), 5V/2A (Max)

• Output: 5V/1A (Rated), 5V/2A (Max)

• Size: 3.98x0.87*0.87in/10.1*2.2*2.2cm

• Color: Black,Silver,Blue

• Weight: 80±10g

• Certification: CE,FCC,Rohs

I got it from Banggood

How does it look

The power bank is delivered in the usual Blitzwolf brown cardboard box, but this time it has a Lithium sticker on it.

It contains the power bank, a usb cable, a instruction sheet and a warranty card.

Both input and output usb connector is placed at one end. The micro is for charging the power bank and the USB-A for charging other devices from the power bank.

The other end has some specifications.

On top is the on button and the four charge status led behind some small holes.

Measurements
  • The power bank do not turn on automatic, but requires a press on the button.

• When the load is below 50mA for 40seconds the output will turn off.

• The usb output has automatic coding.

• The power gauge is only on for a few seconds when the button is pressed.

• The usb output can be used while charging.

• It cannot be used as a UPS, when input power is switched off, the output will turn off.

• Size: 101mm x 22.1mm x 22.1mm

• Weight: 83.3g (Accessories not included)

The output is very stable up to 2.5A and then the overload protection kicks in.

The cyan copy has slight lower current cut-off, but well above the specified 2A maximum.

With 0.5A load it will last nearly 4 hours. With about 2000mAh output capacity, the efficiency is about 83% (Assuming 3340mAh used from battery).

The output can deliver 1A for nearly 2 hours with full voltage, due to the higher current the efficiency goes slightly down.

At 2A the output is straining to keep the voltage up, it do not fully succeed, but the result is very good for a 1 cell power bank.

The above tests was done on the black unit, for comparison I also did a 1A run with the cyan unit.

At 0.5A load the noise is very low with 3mV rms and 42mVpp.

At 1A the noise is 5mV rms and 50mVpp.

At 2A the noise is 11mV rms and 63mVpp. This is very impressive noise figures.

The charge curves looks mostly like a CC/CV curve with a fairly high termination current and it taks about 3 hours to charge the box.

Adding some series resistance, equivalent to a long cable or a weak charger reduce the charge rate, this means longer charge time.

Conclusion

For a single cell power bank this looks very good, it can deliver a lot of current and it has very low noise.

Notes

The power bank was supplied by Banggood for review.

Read more about how I test USB power supplies and chargers

nice review! if there was a coupon that gave $2 off the regular price i would buy one…

8.99 for the silver one using the code 12blitzw ;)

Thanks for the, as always, excellent review! :slight_smile:
I was looking for a good single 18650 powerbank, so I bought this one now. (thanks for the code m4d m4x)

Thanks for the review.
I think it would be very useful to include a measurement of the current drained on the battery when the device is off.
I had a similar device that would drain about 5mA when in standby, making it useless for a power backup as it would always be discharged when I really needed it.

I agree :wink: also, I’d like to know how far the cell is drained (I mean, the cell voltage at which the powerbank stops charging the device). It would be also nice to know if at that point the parasitic draw is still going on of if there is some low voltage cutoff that disconnects the battery.

I know that all those things involve opening the powerbank (and that might not be always easy and without consequences) but after all that’s also another thing that would be really interesting to know: if it’s possible to open a device without damaging it to swap che cell when it’s worn out. Last but not least: we would also get to know which cell is used (likely a NCR18650B, but you never know)

Thanks for the review! It already looks better than many other devices :wink:

I need this,

Thanks HKJ!

Hi thanks for the great review. Would it be possible to do a quick teardown to see what’s inside the device, eg battery and board?

Do you think there’s any single 18650 (cheap) powerbank better than this?

N41 12blitzw code was still good for $8.99 shipped. My first power bank.

received a silver one, thanks MM. Have not tried it but there’s already demands to get more.

$9 shipped, hasn’t that solidly set a cost/risk low point? Its like 5% of the cost of most of the devices I will use it with.

The price has gone up recently. It’s now $11.99 (silver) or $10.79 after coupon 12blitzw.

There’s also this BlitzWolf package deal running currently: the powerbank + USB light & fan for $11.98:

(the price for the light & fan by itself is $4.99)

On sale right now at BG. $10.11 for the silver one.

I received mine from BG but testing with the J7-4T tester and a 4Ohm load (1.17 amp resulting current, 5.00V under load) I get around 1690mAh or 8.48Wh. This doesn’t correspond with the numbers in the review, is this due to test setup losses?

I would say your result is rather close, with my 5 ohm load I get about 1800mAh:

Thanks, the difference most likely comes from loses in the tester (I have found out that the reversible USB plug on my copy does not make the best contact).

On sale for next two days at BG for $8.99

JW3608A http://www.joulwatt.com/page423
FL8205A or similar. http://www.fangjing.com.tw/uploads/file/mos/FL8205A.pdf
CW3002D http://www.cellwise-semi.com/en/ProductView.asp?ID=140
“G2JL” ???
cutoff 3.05V