Nitecore TIP Review (OP Updated With The Guts)

I received a TIP to review yesterday. I opted for a red TIP. It’s got an internal 500mAh battery, a micro USB charging port, a power button, a button to change modes, and a bar on the tail end of the light. The specs say that it has four modes…

Low - 1 Lumen
Mid - 35 Lumens
High - 150 Lumens
Turbo - 360 Lumens

I put my finger over the lens for a few seconds while it was on turbo and it burned my finger. It does have mode memory so when you turn it off and turn it back on it will be on the same level of brightness that you left it on. When you turn the light on with the power button, you can change between low mid and high by pressing the mode button. Turbo is the only hidden mode. It can be accessed while the light is on any mode by holding down the mode button for 1 second or when the light is off by holding down the mode button for 2 seconds. The lowest mode can be reached while the light is off by holding down the power button for 2 seconds.

I’m sure everyone will be happy to hear that there is an electronic lockout, it can be accessed by holding both buttons down for two seconds. The led will emit a quick flash and the light will be locked out. To unlock it, hold both buttons for 2 seconds and the light will come on in the last used mode and will be unlocked.

The bar at the end of the light can be used with a key ring or a lanyard…or anything else that will fit. Nitecore says that it’s capable of withstanding a weight of 66lbs. As stated above, the light has an internal battery with a 500mAh capacity that can be charged with a micro USB cable via the built in micro USB port. While charging, both buttons glow red and turn green once fully charged.

I played with the light for a few minutes last night and it was comparable to a stock Lumintop Tool with a 10440 but more floody. All in all, it’s not bad for a rechargeable keychain light with a built in battery.

A couple of things that I noticed right off hand is that the LED isn’t completely centered and the edges around the charging port are a little sharp.

Mine was scheduled to come yesterday from Illumination Supply, but the tracking hasn’t updated yet. I’m super excited to get this. Hopefully I’ll have it Monday

Looks like a winner!

I hope Banggood gets them in stock soon.

Sorry to deflate your bubble slightly, but Monday is a holiday.

Does it have a rubber cover protecting the charging port?

Hey mate how much are they going for?

Is it just me or does it look pink? maybe i need glasses.

Shit, You’re right!

Nope, another con that I forgot about…no port cover.

It’s about the same shade of red as the red Klarus Mi7.

From the OP’s pic, I’m guessing there is no port protection plug. What were they thinking? Guess one can be had somewhere. Or the dreaded lint in the pocket thing.

Thanks for the info.
Can you access the LED untwisting the bezel, or you have to take apart the whole light?

Some modern waterproof phones have exposed Micro-USB port and still manages good resistance. For example the Samsung S7 with IP68 rating, >1M deep continuous submersion.

But the TIP is only rated at IP54 which means Dust protected (not dust tight) and can only resist water splashing.

IMO they could have easily used a sealed-back MicroUSB connector instead and make it IP66… Or at least a simple silicone cover like in the tube.

It looks like you have to take the light apart to access it, I’ll probably do that in a few.

Thanks for the review. I’ve been very tempted over the last few weeks but have been waiting for some reviews. The finish quality looks dissapointing compared to all of the images previously available. Does it “feel” cheep in the hand, or when you pick it up do you say, “hmm, this is a nice little light.”?

It doesn’t feel like other cheap, plastic lights do, it’s not heavy in the least bit but I wouldn’t want to pay $30 for it when there’s other nice lights that can be purchased for that price. That’s just my thoughts on it though.

Great overview. Interested to see some white wall beam shots, and to know how long it takes to step down in turbo.

I’m assuming the case is aluminium. Are the screws self-tapping or machine?

I ordered micro USB port covers from ebay. They’re $.99 for 25

WoW…any cheaper and they’d almost be FREE…. :laughing:

Do you need any? I’ll send a few to you when I get them