Is this a fake XM-L2?

Hi All,

i got some torches delivered that i had ordered before finding this place.

one of the torches i ordered is this one Meco XM-L2 2000LM

Looking at the LED im about 95% sure its not an XM-L2 but can someone please confirm,

above is the best photo i could grab with my phone camera, i can see that it is different to the convoy s2+ led beside it ,

can anyone confirm its an XM-L2 or not. and should i chat to banggood about it?

Doesn't look like any of my XM-L2 emitters. The grid pattern is more pronounced than I'm familiar with. I also don't see the dot in the corner like on the XM-L2 in my EDC light I have at hand now... I've not purchased any XM-L2s recently though, so maybe Cree has changed the production like they have with other emitter families? I've never personally seen a counterfeit XM-L2 emitter before either. Most of those G700-type clones have had the first-gen XM-L counterfeits, not an XM-L2.

How well does it work? Is the tint nice or a radically obnoxious blue?

Curious about the emitter in that S2 as well, is it a Nichia? (Edit) I see it's an XM-sized package, not the 3535-sized nichia. I assume it's just a warmer tint with the darker phosphor, and the angle through the dome makes it look odd in that photo.

Looks ok to me in the zoomed out picture. The dots do look more pronounced though. Maybe Latticebright is getting even better.

Unscrew that brown retaining ring. A lot of times they say “LB” right on the star.

The convoy ont he left is XM-L2 t6-4c

the things that made me check are the following
it isnt as bright as the XML version of the zoomie i bought , (could be my imagination)
the dot pattern on the led i couldnt see on other XM-L2 photo’s.
there is no dot in the corner
and lastly when i shine a torch onto it the led doesnt seem to glow like the convoy does. (could be the reflector causing this)

otherwise ill take the brown ring off when i get home later and take another pic

If I understand the “glow” you reference on the Convoy, then it’s just the light being reflected and concentrated onto the emitter from the reflector. A light without a reflector won’t do that.

Keep in mind, what’s printed on the LED board doesn’t necessarily mean anything. If it says “LatticeBright”, I think it’s a safe bet that it’s fake… :student:

.but lots of LatticeBright emitters get reflowed onto board printed “Cree”… :confounded:

Looks fake to me…

Dots are in straight lines. In real XM-L2 dots are in diagonal lines.

Agree, not a Cree led. All generation 2 leds from Cree have the same diagonal dot pattern, the latest version have a denser array of dots but still diagonal.

heres the shot without the brown top

Lettuce shyte…

This is a fake XM-L2.

+1

+1

Great chance that it is a genuine LatticeBright XM

I posted a topic on the BG page.

In the pictures on there it seems they put the black dot in the corner with fotoshop…

Thanks for the info guys,

The image on the banggood page is of a different LED i think as it has solder tabs either side of the led and it also has the black dot.

Ill contact banggood and see what they say.

I just compared it to a brand new still in the tape XM-L2 U4 1A and it’s not the same. The dots are not placed the same, as noted, and the negative marker (black dot) is missing, also as previously noted. Fake for sure.

Color of the phosphor will appear different with different tint bins, so you can’t really go by that… the Convoy light has a warmer tint I’d say.

Some of the LB emitters are surprisingly good, perhaps this is a new generation?

Definite fake. the Bond wire pads are square as in the latticebright Cree knock-offs.