Cramming an SST-90 into an SK98 (asepheric) for fun.

Hey guys the LEDs took forever to get here. I got bored and started stacking the AMC7135 (a total of 28 on one 20mm board). I’m by far no experert nor do I even know if stacking these works like they say, but I guess that would be around 9.8Amps right? (supposedly)? I did use 20AWG silicone wire to make sure I didn’t end up dicking-up the easy part. I wanted “12Amps” but soldering these damn things is very frustrating so I called it a day and put the SST90 on. I think I’ll put the other SST on a proper mag light build.

I ordered two of these LEDs and I like the SK98 flashlight; so I did this for fun to see what would happen; just because… This isn’t about performance or reliability.

Begining the stacks on stacks…

Compared to a fake XML-T6 that it came with.

Comparing… My hack-job SST-90 on the left | Real XML-T6 on the right. About what was expected, but it (SST90) does appear slightly brighter to the eye, and I prefer the color.
It also doubles as an excellent hand warmer!

If Yall have any better ideas for the other one or links to a good driver please let me know. -Thanks.

Those 7135 stacks make me feel warm and nostalgic and look neatly done :slight_smile:
Great build there, thanks for sharing.

I would think that the SST90 on a single battery could be connected direct drive if the heat is taken care of, so a FET-driver like the BLF-A6 driver could be used.

you certainly are from Texas.

I like it! Hey, I’ve got a de-domed SST-90 laying around, not earning its keep, and plenty of FET drivers. Maybe I’ll do something like this! :smiling_imp:

Thanks for sharing, kludge!

:+1:

Why sst 90 when you have XHP70 which smaller size, lower cost and more lumen?

oh wait, the SST90 can run on single battery?

Well, a couple reasons come to mind. One huge reason is the beam profile. XHP-70 has a cross in the middle where the four dies don’t exactly meet. With aspheric lens, that would project “cleanly” when focused and look like you’re shining the light through a window pane. Another reason for me is that I already own the SST-90. I know kludge said he bought his, so this doesn’t apply to him, but it’s a good reason for me anyway. :smiley:

…oh yeah, that too! :wink: