The $2 Maglite upgrade to LED

Back in the hotwire days 2x 18650 mods used to be common in 2D mags. Typically used PVC tubing as a sleeve for the batteries, and the tail spring needed shortened to account for the increased length. A single battery configuration would allow you to create a dummy cell any length you wish to avoid the tail spring issue.

I have the complete opposite desire. I like the old incandescent mags. I hate the “new” LED mags. (I use that term loosely, since mag is so far behind the competition in LED lights.) Their LED tints and beams are so awful. And while the old incans had horrible beam artifacts, the incandescent light was very nice.

If I could convert my LED mags into incandescent versions, I’d do that. At least then they’d have some retro charm.

Enlighten me on creating a dummy cell please .

[quote=pennzy]

[quote=Kindle]

The easiest method would be to cut a wooden dowel to the desired length & run copper wire from end to end as the conductor. Brass thumb tacks work great to secure the wire at each end & create a de facto terminal.

I decided to try 3x C-cells in the 2D maglite instead because I have tonnes of spare NiCD C-cells and that gives me a steady ~3.6V which works well with this 3V drop-in.

I just have to figure out some kinda spring for the tailcap but it should be pretty straightforward.

Thanks for the ideas .

You can reverse or cut down the stock spring to fit, you’ll probably need to de-anodize the inside of the tail cap.

If you pop one of the Fusion 36 modules in a 2C Mag , and power it with a pair of 18500 Liion batteries in a sleeve to minimize rattling , you can make a fairly bright and elegant looking flashlight .

Although I have not seen the LED “upgrades” , I have to say my incandescent Mags look like ghosts on a wall and very dim . What am I missing ?

You’re right. The AA and AAA incans were horribly dim. But the 4D and 4C bigger incan lights were reasonably bright, and still okay today for most purposes. We’re spoiled by 1000+ lumen lights now, but it’s really far more than we really need.

I just like the feel of warm incandescent light. They’re nice indoors, ceiling-bounced. Not practical to carry outdoors any more, since a small 18650 light (or even a single AA light like a Zebralight) will blow the mags away. But I still have a soft-spot for those old incan lights.

My favourite indoor light happens to be a Convoy with a 7A tint LED. So, yeah, I like warm tints.

I checked with over 20 of the different sellers on ebay, and noticed they listed two voltage options, 18v and 3~18v. ALL of them “seem” to be sold out of the warm white in the 3~18v option. makes me wonder if its all just the same seller with dozens of different ebay account names…

Are you talking about the Fusion replacement or the $2 ones?

Mine don't work in 2* applications unfortunately. The one I have in my 3D is cool white.

2 dollar ones. I have an old 3-D cell Maglite with a burnt out incan bulb that is collecting dust and could use a mild upgrade.

Yeah, go fo it, for $2 you can't go wrong!

The first link in the thread has a CW 3-18V for $2.07 ww is $1,97

Certainly not a $2 upgrade, but I instantly think of Brian’s (kyfishguy) builds when I hear about building up Maglites. If nothing else, a read through some of his threads will be educational. He’s got some good descriptions and pictures of his work.

I could not find the W/W in the 3-18v range option.

I ordered a “1200” lumen LED piece for a fenix or trustfire light. it was like $6 so I think I can mod it to fit They say it’s 3.7 volts, so I am assuming it’s for a 1x18650 light but for a 3 D cell it should by good to go.

These are great for long runtime and emergency backup. I have a few stashed in various kits. Beware, though. Brightness is not there (obviously, 30lm) and the color tint is angry blue. Would do very well to have a mix of D and C cell maglites and/or lanterns to use these with for emergencies.

Re Walmart cheap led bulbs I have a couple of those in old explosion proof Rayovac flashlights. The output is terrible but I saw a test of the runtime and it was days, I think the tester just gave up