Sofirn would like to know preferred UI for XHP70, 3x18650 light!

up and down button.

I prefer the UI on the original Thrunite TN36. I don’t like to keep the button held down for too long as it makes me feel like I don’t want to turn the button spring into a weak point.

Not familiar with that one… what… press to start and stop ramping?

For me it’s 2), ramping without memory. With default being ML.

Please:

From OFF:
Single click for last used mode
Double click for turbo
Triple click for strobe
Long click for moonlight

From ON:
Single click for OFF
Double click for turbo
Triple clicl for strobe
Keep pressed the button to start cycling trough modes, release the swith to stay in the desired mode

Avoid long clicks for turning ON/OFF

Most springs are made of steel, which has very good memory and won’t ‘learn’ a new shape by being held there too long, unlike elastic materials like rubber. Steel is actually more likely to degrade by cycling more presses.

I can’t be the only person in the world hating ramping UIs? I never know how much current my light is drawing. How am I going to know how long my cell will last?

Something simple with good thermal regulation, without any disco modes

My big ask is to also provide an MT-G2 variant. the tint is so much better.

and also time on high/turbo is more important then max nanosecond, one second, 15 second, 30 second etc etc lumen amounts.

I totally that at some point design run into physics but lets start to see extended 2k, 3k, 4k lumen run times Percent of the time used we need 25K lumens is .0000 something really small

I have made a driver for Acebeam K30 with 3x18650 and 8A output with NarsilM UI
Anduril may be as well an option

It is easy to convert this for a sofirn light, not sure if they have someone who may consider a BLF driver design and UI for their lights?

2) Ramping without memory, starting on low

or preferably as Lexel suggests a BLF driver design

+1 this.

The SP32a, a light I like a lot has all but the long press for moonlight/low. Its also able to switch levels to Std mode for those occasions when I prefer fixed levels.

As it was mentioned above, I too am not so fond of the ramping on my Sofirn SP32a. It’s a bit slow and it pauses somewhere in the middle for some reason that I can’t figure. I still prefer it over individual levels. I’ve been spoiled by my other three ramping lights. I’ll probably always choose it if given the choice.

I do like the fit and finish and quality to price ratio of my two Sofirn lights.

I’m interested in this design and hope that they can speed up and smooth out their ramping and set it up with memory. I trained myself to ramp down before I turn it off. That way I’m pretty darn sure that I won’t blind myself when I turn my lights on and I can also keep a higher level set while walking the dogs at night, turn it off but still be ready to shine a higher powered beam at whatever night critter might cross my path.

To sum it up: I’d choose ramping with memory, work on the ramping speed and smoothness, have turbo available with a double click and moon with a long press. I don’t like strobe so hide it and I’d be happy.

In my opinion the best UI is the one that everyone plans according to their needs; so I’d like to see a UI programmable via a USB cable

Well, and for those that can’t do that? A programmable UI, for sure, but via USB may not be the best option though…

It would be great if you can just edit a text file to change the UI.

Sofirn UI have always been better than the competition. My personal favorite is a well done ramping UI like that of the D4 and Narsil. Cant Sofirn just ise Narsil? Isnt it free to use? Its tweakable too to accomodate everyome’s different preferences.

It is free to use, but since it is open source, you have to contribute back with your changes to NarsilM in exchange for using it.

Also, the problem is you have to buy a capable micro controller, which is more expensive than what most Chinese manufacturers use usually.

The way I see a good UI for any light, it needs to have 3 basic modes that can be accessed from off with 1 more of the users choice in the middle. That to me is what makes Tom E’s Narsil so great for me.
From off you have moonlight if you hold about a half second, from off quick tap starts in last mode used in memory which I set as low, Double quick tap starts in turbo from off, click and hold from off gives you ramping to select any brightness level you need. Memory doesn’t work with turbo or moonlight because you already have short cuts from off for them.
So from off you have Moonlight, Low (or set memory level), Turbo, and Ramping all depending on the time of the first click or double click.
Narsil has many other nice features, but to me this makes the UI so darn good. From just one click any brightness level is accessible and one fast click to off.
Tom E has done a outstanding job with Narsil. I’m so very thankful that he has shared his hard work with the rest of this community.
He has set the UI bar so high, everyone else is struggling to keep up. Hence the question in the title of this thread.
Its all about the simple one button press to get the perfect amount of light and one fast click to off. :smiley:

But since NarsilM is regarded as the best single button flashlight UI by the majority of the flashlight community, it’s worth adding a few buck to have the best. For example, once TA came in to rescue Haikelite MT09R with his driver using NarsilM, everyone was singing praises of how well it works.