Just did this for fun

Made a CAD design of what my personalized “ideal edc flashlight” would be like :slight_smile:

It would output ~500 lumens and have 250kcd for a 1km throw distance.
Easily fits in one hand and has a very minimalist design while still being strong.

Just thought it would be cool to share :slight_smile:
Post your thoughts, or your own ideal EDC design.

how do you turn this on?

Hahaha there’s no switch on it yet!
I need to fit it around the driver somehow.
Just a simple latching push button switch, somewhere around where the USB port is but on the opposite side.

ah - ok. if that sliding head could somehow also be used for on-off and ramping - this would be awesome!

That’s a cool idea, like one of those twisty rings but with the entire head :stuck_out_tongue:
I wonder how much space the circuitry would take up though.

How about ditching the aspherical lens thing, going TIR, and doing a capacitive hidden switch. Nice ramping with that between .5 and 750l would be awesome.

Only 1 km throw for an EDC? You’re lightening up a bit I can see.

:laughing:

Considered it, the only good TIRs are the led lenser ones, problem is I can’t use a collar with those which means I would get less than half the intensity.
Also there is an area around the transition from center lens to the reflector portion of the TIR where there is a ring of unused area.

Less area = less throw.
They are more practical for regular people though, much less travel needed to focus and unfocus. Also less delicate and cheaper.

Tried to keep it a compact tube light single cell :stuck_out_tongue: it’s just an EDC.
This is as much lux as I could possibly get out of a light this size, there is only 1mm of metal around the lens so almost the entire front of the flashlight gets used for throw.

Don’t worry I’ll post some design stuff another day with much bigger numbers :smiley:

“Don’t worry…….”

Yeah, I was starting to get concerned there for a second. :+1:

Looking in my DQG 26650, 38 mm head does not add much bulk, but will give few more lux with bigger lens and space for switch/driver. Also the slightly bigger head will give better support for sliding. Just a thought…

:wink:

Yeah, this is just personal preference, I much prefer tube lights.
Even my P5r.2 which has a head only a few mm bigger than the body annoys me.

Could be a cool build :+1:

+1

I like it :+1:

Nice. Cool idea that looks like it’ll run quite hot. :wink:

Tail clicky for me, or a twisty head. Adding a button on the side would take away from the tube aesthetic.

I like it, get me one of those please :slight_smile:

It is pretty close to ideal for me too, I have a love for small throwers and have built quite a few. But I like a waist in a flashlight so my choice would be a 18650 battery.

Can’t find back the led type though, I would expect a Compact PL but the partnr. is different.

Wow 250kcd at the size = instant buy! Please pitch this design to a manufacturer to turn this into reality!

Hmm true, the problem is that a tail clicky would add like 10mm more and also remove the magnet at the back.
I was thinking maybe hiding it below the sliding head, like the USB port, but that would be inconvenient.
I will research twisty head mechanisms and circuitry to see if it’s possible to fit that in the 5mm of space there is :stuck_out_tongue:

Haha :stuck_out_tongue:

The LED is just newly released, basically the successor to the black flat.

Neutral center pad, no corner notch, flat top surface, better thermal performance.
https://octopart.com/search?q=KW%20CSLNM1.TG&start=0
Currently not available in small quantities, but the flashlight isn’t something I’m going to build any time soon…

Yeah it’s like that acebeam W10 but with an LED instead of laser phosphor :slight_smile:
I think this is a very specific custom flashlight for my use case, not many manufacturers will make an expensive flashlight that few people will buy.
The wavien collar alone is over $50, and the professional quality lens is about $300.