【convoy】Golden S3 available now

That’s great news :sunglasses:

When will this be available?

:partying_face:

Yeah, great idea Simon.

Remove the cruft of 219Bs and 219Cs.

It makes for too many models :stuck_out_tongue:

Great news, but can we also have 2700k and 6500k please.

This may take a while. I’m not sure if it could be a month or it could be two months. Affected by the epidemic and the Russian-Ukrainian war, this year is a difficult year, and my funds are not very sufficient.

That’s cool simon! will you get them in 3 step?

Not in a hurry with more temperatures. Although I have to admit I’m very much looking forward to trying them.

It’s been a crazy ride lately with the initial 519a offering, the FC40 and B35AM, the upcoming M21x models, etc. Heck, I’m still waiting for some shipments to arrive. Then play with new hosts, swap emitters, form an opinion, etc. And by the time I’m done with that, it’ll be daylight most of the day anyway. Until autumn comes and flashlight stuff goes into high gear again. At least that’s how it works for me personally. And I still need to resist getting that T4. That orange is just so appealing. It looks to be exactly the same as the S21A orange (my favourite Convoy colour!)

I’ve got to say, I don’t think the solid post positive contact is a good idea as-implemented on 21700 lights, because of physics…

Inertia is proportional to mass.
21700 mass is almost 50% higher than 18650.
Given the same spring rate on the tail end, it’s much easier to get disconnects on the solid post end with a 21700 than it is with an 18650.

f_18650=m*a
f_spring=k*(delta_l)
f_21700=1.5*f_18650

if f_21700 > f_spring : change mode

There are setups where k was high enough to offset 18650 inertia, and issues were probably rare. So there should probably be either 21700-specific heavy tail springs, or dual-end springs, from a design standpoint.

I’m holding the M21C 2000K in my hand right now. It’s a great light, and this is not a deal-breaker. But it is easy to change modes by gently bopping the rear of it with my hand.
I don’t use mode mem, so it’s a minor annoyance at worst, but it’s still a flaw.

There are a number of convoy 21700 lights that are dual-spring.

Had issues with the button and replaced with a spring. Convoy had these:

Just a note: ground the pigtail (skewed end) and soldered that end to the board. Too stiff to flatten out for proper electrical contact.
The material is steel as some have observed in the customer reviews. Mine are magnetic Simon responded they were copper and perhaps he was given a steel batch; hence the discontinuation?

Conductivity-wise, it would have been better as brass being about a quarter of pure copper compared to steel which is a sixth. Bronze doesn’t fair well at one eighth (BeCu about one fifth).

Woke up this morning and I caved… ordered the orange T4. Simon, you have a bad influence on me :smiley:

Bwt, any update on the M21B with OP reflector and B35AM?

Copper core would be a mechanically bad spring. Maybe the implication is it’s double-plated?

The springs show their steel core when filed. Simon uses the term ‘copper’ in reference to brass or bronze. Not that they are made of pure copper.

Anyways, I’ve ordered some thinner steel springs (0.5 & 0.8mm diameter wire) and make my own by-pass.

I’m suggesting the 21700 lights need 1mm+ steel core springs in the tail if the drivers are to keep the solid post. Your solution is valid for modding after the fact, of course.

The stiffer springs lead to indentation to the + cap. It’s one of the issues I have with the brass posts.

However, those Convoy springs, if he decides to re-introduce, handsomely fit the brass post footprint.

Hello Simon .

Could you please add the PCB connect 4 x 18650 flat-head for 4x18a to your store ? I odered your 4x18a but I lose it . Thanks Simon !

Stiffer tail springs aren’t within an order of magnitude of the battery cap force seen by dropping the light head-first onto the ground.
I was suggesting it because it is a problem, and changing the tail spring for just 21700 lights is probably easier than redesigning the driver, which Convoy probably has thousands of pre-assembled.

I’m surprised to see 219B getting replaced, I thought it was a favorite on BLF, but maybe it doesn’t sell well. I need to stash up.

It may be that it was a long discontinued emitter that somehow has been made again, probably a special order. I guess that can’t go on forever and a modern replacement has to happen.

I’m going to rush the manufacturing plant.
Maybe in one week.