Test/review of Charger NiteCore UM2

Charger NiteCore UM2

This is a USB QC powered universal charger with adjustable current.

The cardboard box lists lot of specifications, battery types and features.

The box contains the charger, a USB cable, manual and a warranty card.

The charger has the USB connection on the back together with a plastic heat sink.

The charger has two switches:

C: A short press will change slot and longer press will enter the charge and battery menu.

V: Step between displayed values and change settings in menu.

When charging it will show chemistry (Li-ion), algorithm (CV), current, charged capacity, voltage and time.

The “Quick Charge” is present when the charger is power from a QC charger.

The 4.35V batteries are shown as 4.3V and NiMH is shown as NiMH/NiCd with -dv/dt algorithm.

The yellow label has the important specifications and is easy to read.

The slots uses the usual construction and works well. They can handle batteries from 30mm to 79.8 mm long, the new 21700 with protection will fit in the charger.

The charger can handle 79.8 mm long batteries, inclusive flat top cells.

Measurements

• Discharges LiIon with 0.1mA and NiMH with 0.02mA when not connected to power

• Below 0.7 volt the charger will show EE and charge with about 1mA, there will be no voltage readout.

• At 0.7 volt the charger will assume NiMH and start charging.

• The charger will assume NiMH below 2.2 volt and LiIon above 2.2 volt.

• Will not restart if battery voltage drops.

• Charges with 0.2mA when LiIon battery is full.

• Voltmeter readout freezes when charging is finished

• Voltmeter is within 0.03 volt.

• Voltmeter has a max. readout of 1.48V for NiMH and 4.20 volt for normal LiIon.

• Change between 0.5A and 1A in QC mode is around 55mm long batteries, but it is not reliable.

• Charger uses 9V in QC mode and up to 1.5A current.

• Charge will restart charging after power loss or battery insertion.

• Power consumption from USB when idle without batteries is 12mA

LiIon charging

Current can be adjusted from 0.1A to 1A in 0.1A step with USB and to 1.5A with QC power supply. Default is 0.5A with normal supply and 1A with QC supply and long batteries.

This is a nice probably simulated CC/CV charge curve with about 100mA termination current.
Display shows 3409mAh in 4:10

Default charge current with normal USB power is 0.5A.
Display shows 3460mAh in 7:13 and 3312mAh in 7:11

All 3 cells are charged nicely at 1A.
Display shows 3115mAh in 4:06, 2868 in 3:44 and 2346mAh in 4:46

The 14500 is handled nicely with 500mA charge current.
Display shows 847Ah in 2:02

For this old worn down cell I uses 100mA charge current, a lower termination current would have been nice here.
Display shows 150mAh in 1:24

Charging two batteries at the default 0.5A charge current works fine.
Display shows 3567mAh in 7:23 and 3402mAh in 7:08

And uses about 1A from USB.

With QC it is possible to select 1.5A charge current and the charger will do it.
Display shows 3491mAh in 2:49 and 3407mAh in 2:42

Adding a 0.5ohm resistor in series with a normal USB charger to simulate a long cable or weak USB charger did reduce the charge speed.
Display shows 3439mAh in 6:13 and 3446mAh in 6:45

M1: 36.6°C, M2: 39.1°C, M3: 40.3°C, HS1: 48.3°C
This photo is from QC at maximum current.

HS1: 47.9°C

The charger need some time to start a charge. The charger measured voltage with current off.

With QC there is a current spike.

When entering the current change menu the current is turned off and first resumed when leaving the menu.

The charger has serious problems with a unstable power supply.

4.35V LiIon charging

The 4.35V cell is charged nicely.
Display shows 3252mAh in 4:36, voltage is 4:35V

IFR (LiFePO4) charging

The two 3.6V cells are also charged fine, but the voltage is slightly on the high side.
Display shows 1310h in 1:45 and 588mAh in 1:29, voltage is 3.70V

NiMH charging

Current can be adjusted from 0.1A to 1A in 0.1A step both with USB and QC power supplies. Default is 0.5A

The charger uses -dv/dt termination on this NiMH cells.
Display shows 2160mAh in 2:09

And the same here.
Display shows 2148mAh in 2:08

The two high capacity cells are also charged with -dv/dt and both terminates nicely.
Display shows 2948mAh in 2:56 and 2991 in 2:58

Default current is 0.5A and termination do also work here.
Display shows 1981mAh in 3:56

Using 0.1A prevent -dv/dt from working, but it did stop at a reasonable capacity. I cannot see it it was on voltage or time (Another way to stop at low current is 0dv/dt, but it is not using that).

The AAA cell is no problem.
Display shows 836mAh in 1:40

A full cell takes nearly 20 minutes to detect, this is normal for -dv/dt termination.
Display shows 309mAh in 0:18

Two cells at 1A each works fine.
Display shows 2137mAh in 2:08 and 2066 in 2:03

And also works with QC.
Display shows 2221mAh in 2:12 and 2161 in 2:09

M1: 36.2°C, M2: 35.0°C, M3: 35.7°C, HS1: 42.1°C

HS1: 39.9°C

The charger uses about the same 2.5s to start with NiMH.

Again QC has a current spike.

When selecting current or voltage the charging is turned off.

Unstable power supply do not work with NiMH either.

Conclusion

The charger charges nicely, the default current is low enough to always work when using a normal USB charger, with QC it may be necessary to adjust the current down for smaller LiIon batteries (According to the manual this is supposed to be automatic, but it do not always work). The mAh display is rather optimistic in its values.
The user interface is fairly easy to use.

I will call it a good charger, just verify the current when charging smaller cells with a QC power supply.

Notes

The charger was supplied by a Nitecore for review.

Here is an explanation on how I did the above charge curves: How do I test a charger

Thanks for the review! Do you think the UMS2 will be the same as good except for higher maximum charge current?

You will have to wait for the review (It is written).

Tak for den store anmeldelse, Henrik!

I have recently bought the UMS2 charger and I am very curious about your verdict.

There are two things that keep me wondering about the UM2:

• According to your graphs the termination voltage seems a bit high, i.e. around 4.25V. So, if you want cells that are charged to their very limits with a resting voltage of close to 4.20V, the UM2 is the right charger, correct?
  • Something that I deem to be a real safety concern is that the UM2 can charge LiFePO4 cells (3.6V) but once there's a short power interruption, the UM2 will restart with it's standard settings. Thus, it will eventually charge a 3.6V cell to 4.2V as this is usually the factory default. IMHO, this is really dangerous if the charger is left unattended with LiFePO4 cells in it. I would rather prefer manufacturers to not automatically restart charging once the power supply has been interrupted. What's your opinion about it?

Best regards

Thomas

My copy of the charger is a little high on charge voltage, this do not means all UM2 are. Usual I will not comment on it when it is within specifications.

I live in a country where there are years between power cuts, this means the risk is very low.
I do not believe that LiFePO4 explode when charged to 4.2V, but it will probably not be good for their lifespan.
There is also the point about removing batteries when a charger is finished, this is always a good idea.

All in all I do not see it as a big issue, but if you live in a country with frequent power cuts, it would be best to find a charger that remember chemistry or do not restart (There are very few of them).

FWIW, a member of TLF recently tested his UM2 (and UM4) and it also appears to charge cells to 4.25V or even slightly beyond that, see link below (in German language only).

With a minimum adjustable LiIon charging current of 100 mA, this would probably be the cheapest traditional style charger which might (barely) safely charge 10180 cells.

I know this thread is not about the UMS2 but the UM2 but I thought it might be interesting for some of you to know that my UMS2 has a different "charging-termination" behaviour in comparison to the UM2.

Yesterday, I have recharged six Samsung 29E batteries. All of them were either at 3.98V or 4.12V before charging. I figured out that the UMS2 always switches from CC to CV at exactly 4.00V no matter what batteries were inside the charger. So far so good. The CV phase runs from 4.00V to 4.20V and I got the impression that charging immediately stops as soon as the display indicates 4.20V (no more blinking bars on the display).

This is very much different to the Miboxer chargers I have for comparison. They still keep charging once the display shows 4.20V, of course with subsequently reduced current. This phase of being at 4.20V runs quite a while with those Miboxers. Now, the UMS2 does not do that. As soon as 4.20V has been reached it's done. I measured voltage of all six Samsung 29E and of another Sony VTC6 that I charged with only 0.5A.

Resting voltage of the 29Es was:

4.16V after 10min resting

4.15V after 12 hours

Resting voltage of the Sony VTC6 was:

4.13V after 12 hours

My questions:

• Is it obvious that my UMS2 will not "overcharge" these cells beyond 4.20V, unlike Henrik's UM2 does?
  • Is what I see on the display consistent with the actual voltage that is applied to the batteries during charging?
  • Why does the CV phase already starts at 4.00V unlike to Henrik's UM2 where the CC profile will not stop before reaching 4.15V?
  • Is the termination current probably much higher with the UMS2 as those batteries rest with 4.13 - 4.15V after charging? (The batteries I used are rather new with only few charging cycles and being 6-8 months old).

Supplemental:

My UMS2 has some minor differences between charging bay #1 and #2. While cells from bay #1 rest at 4.15 - 4.16V those from bay #2 rest at 4.14 - 4.15V, i.e. in worst case there's a difference of 0.02V between two batteries.

Is there any way to turn off the backlight? After 10min or so, the backlight will dim, there seems to be no way to turn it off completely.