Jetbeam RRT-01 mods by Athlon2350

Athlon2350 posted his mod on Facebook and I thought it was cool! I was able to convince him to let me post it here.

"Must turn a copper round to fix hole in body."

I think it is convenient that it fits a Carclo triple so well, and this is a really nice mod. But in the meantime I have become a bit oversaturated with multiled TIR flashlights, I actually like the RRT01 for its single led reflector feature.

Does it fit so well? It’s mounted in a lathe….

Also, when I did a triple mod to my niteye eye10 I had to cut down the noctigon AND the carclo to fit nicely.

Ah, not so perfect host then. A very nice mod anyway :slight_smile:

SWEET :blush:

It seems that the Carclo fits without mod, but the Noctigon not so much :stuck_out_tongue:

The details of the mod are not so clear…

When I modded my Jetbeam TCR1 to a triple several years ago I don’t recall it being too hard.

• The stock star is 14mm. Fortunately, when you lift the reflector out there is a ledge partway down at just the right height for a 20mm triple star.
  • I don’t recall if I had to file down the edges of the triple star. I think some small filing with a handfile was done.
  • I didn’t need to mod the optic at all. It fit with no modification. The front of the optic is exposed though… there wasn’t room for both the optic and the lens.
  • The stock driver wires weren’t long enough to cover the additional distance to get to the triple star. I recall lengthening mine by attaching little bits of extra wire and then putting arctic alumina over the solder joins to prevent shorts.
  • If I were doing the mod again, I would instead replace the stock driver wires. They are quit thin anyways. The hard part is in the original RRT-01, the driver is a 2-board sandwich and the wires are soldered in the middle of the sandwich. Best option is to apply a soldering iron to the posts holding the sandwhich together, then pull the sandwich apart. With it apart you can then easily replace the driver wires just like on any other driver.
  • In my TCR-01 I left a void below the star. Heatsinking is still fine as the star is copper and I used plenty of thermal paste at the edges where contact is made. However, the “proper” way to do this mod would be to fill in the void below the star with a machined copper plug like the guy in the video above did. The copper would make the light substantially heavier, but would provide some ballast making the longer take longer to heat up.
  • My 2019 version RRT-01 hasn’t arrived yet, but I suspect some of the construction is similar. However there are some clear differences, such as the use of a brass pill. The old version had no pill.

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to put an aspherical lens there? I am into sundrop type beams lately.

As soon as I get some optisolis boards from Clemence I will attempt such a mod. I have tested 3x linear optisolis setup with an aspherical lens, and it was very good beyond 30deg. No tint shift across the beam whatsoever.

I see a POS SF clip so the holes of the clip are compatible??