Cut 16mm LED Base Down to 12.8?

I'm looking to order an XP-G R5 neutral white and found what I want at Shiningbeam.com, but it's on a 16mm base. I believe I will need an LED on a +/- 12.8mm base. Can this be cut down to 12.8mm? Do I have to move the wire leads from the base board to the emitter pad itself (which sounds tricky)? Does anyone know where I can order one on a 12.8mm or even 14mm base (assuming there is room to trim it down to 12.8mm) with reasonable shipping fee and preferably not a long long wait time?

I've emailed Shiningbeam to inquire about this and see what they can do.

Thanks,
Garry

I have cut several stars down and by looking at the pic would say yes. I use a belt sander and go slow to avoid heat. Then finish with a file to deburr edges. Wire slots can be made deeper with a dremel. ONLY if extra solder pad area is needed LIGHTLY scrape at traces to remove insulation. YMMV

Thanks for your reply, good to know. Will give the 16mm a try (after I hear from Shiningbeam).

-Garry

I've cut star boards down before but it's a pain to do... The end product worked, but it wasn't pretty. I would avoid doing it again if possible.

You would rather buy some 12,8mm pcb from kd and resolder them, if you have an oven, you can try to do it. Cutting a pcb might destroy the thermal or +,- path (or even the led if you are not careful!!), so, i don't suggest doing it.

I really didn't want to resolder / reflow them. That sounds more tricky than trimming.

-Garry

Ok, Bryan from Shiningbeam responded to my email that all he has available is what is listed on his website.

-Garry

Here is what I get when I size this in AutoCAD for 16mm edge to edge and then show a 12.8mm diameter outline for what would be trimmed. See any issue here?

Looks like there isn't much room for centering error!

-Garry

I say it is go! Use a pencil and lay a scribe line. Use a machinist trick by doing half the circle, go slow, double check with calipers to the existing opposite diameter. When satisfied, finish the other half.

It's actually not that hard to do. I have done several and only messed up the very first one by letting the tweezers slip and de-domed the XP-G.

If you have a flat-top stove or a burner, you can re-flow emitters more easily than you would think. Use soldering paste on the emitter pad and contacts and put the star with the emitter in place on your burner. It will melt the flux/solder and make the joints. There are videos on Youtube showing how it can be done.

I am not knocking reflowing but in a one time single application trimming a star works and is a viable solution.

If that-all doesn't work, Cutter.com.au can set you up with a variety of emitters on 10mm boards. Of course, it's a long way from Australia to the east coast, so you'll want to be pretty desperate...

http://www.cutter.com.au/products.php?cat=Leds+on+10mm+Round+MCPCB

KD has XPG R4 4B on 12.8mm boards. i have several and they are good.

link

it usually takes two weeks for me to receive my stuff from them, but i don't know how long it'll take during this time of year.

Thanks Robo. I'll keep that in mind. I'm sure I'd never see the difference between an R4 and R5 (but I would know it's only an R4!). Wish I could get an S2 or S3!

-Garry

Errrmm........ KD also have XP-G R5's on 12.8mm boards. Isn't that what you want, Gary?

EDIT. Just noticed that you want Neutral so I guess its not what you are after.

+1 The KD one is a really nice tint very close to the Shiningbeam one and it's the right size. I have had nothing but problems trimming these boards. One nick with your fingernail and the dome is damaged never mind a sharp implement. I actually like the 4B tint better than the 3D and it's just as bright.