Gearbest never gave me my prize from the 2018 scratch build!

Why don’t you just ask GB what the problem is first, rather than start with a PayPal dispute?

At some point though, they just completely stop responding. For awhile, they were actually better and I could apply more points towards purchases than other sites, but after they stopped responding to support requests I also stopped buying.

KuoH

I understand. :+1:

Sorry your having those problems. :frowning: … I can’t relate because I have never had them.

Good luck…… :beer:

Or both…

In general, whether it’s coupons, freebies, whatever, count on not getting it. 35buk prize? Buy a common-as-dirt light for 36bux, even if you don’t need or want it, but it’d be better’n nothing.

Points? Whut’s that? Can’t use ’em on anything that’s on sale (even 1% off), so I can’t even remember cashing in any points.

This may be more applicable to BG than GB, but as far as freebies, they’ll ship the freebie first to cement the transaction, then when your super-priced doodad is eternally “backordered” (even though-regular priced versions of same are in stock and shipping), you might be offered a crap substitution instead and that’s it. Take it or leave it.

Basically, don’t ever count on any prize, freebie, super price, etc. If by some miracle you get it, hallelujah, but if not, at least you wouldn’t be too terribly put off.

Here is my take on this, and again it is just my take;

Any of these giveaways, contests, and the like are a luck of the draw, win some lose some.
Yes it sucks when you realize you were just used for publicity, clicks, etc. but when you win something, I mean really win something that you didn’t see coming, whether it be a mis-priced Amazon item or a going out of business blowout that is like 90% off and you actually get the item.
Or better yet , all the items you padded in the order, or multiple orders…………Just in case :slight_smile:
That makes it all worth the chance.

Way back when, I used to buy lots of slot cars and used to check a web site called Etoys every day because they would run some killer sales from time to time.
Well, one day Whole 1/32 sets complete with a large amount of track, power supply, controllers, cars, the whole bit were like $19.99 for a set that cost $189.99.
I ordered like 10 sets.

Same day Mattel/Tyco sets worth $80 were $9, ordered 40 sets.
You can not imagine the joy when the Cell Phone store that I managed at the time was suddenly full with deliveries of huge boxes because these things actually shipped for that price with no issues.
The company declared bankruptcy and was just clearing out as fast as possible.

My boss ordered another 30 sets and I later bought his at near cost and had these in my attic, sold a lot on Epay and at toy shows, made many times over my money.
That makes up for every time something does not come out as advertised.
Not bragging, just saying if you play the game long enough, there are killer deals that will come along, the ones that don’t?
Water off a Duck’s Back.

/\ . Good story & perspective Muto, thanks for sharing. :beer:

Kibbles!? Modded that for you :smiley:

I have to agree with everydaysurvivalgear here that the way they treated him was disgusting.
Here is a copy of the PM’s that went between me and Gearbest on last years comp winnings. I felt sick through the whole ordeal.

MRsDNF’s picture
You Mar 13 Delete
Hi Gearbest.

I have selected your $65.00 prize in this years competition. Thank you for supporting us.

Can you please send me a coupon for four of these chargers with Australian adaptors.

https://www.gearbest.com/battery-charger/pp_009682586021.html?wid=1433363

Thanks and all the best, Steve.

gearbest’s picture
gearbest Mar 13 Delete Block
Please choose the one item over 65USD, thus we can apply it for you.

MRsDNF’s picture
You Mar 20 Delete
Would it be possible to pick two of these radios?

https://www.gearbest.com/walkie-talkie/pp_182204.html?wid=1433363

MRsDNF’s picture
You Mar 22 Delete
Hi.

I have not heard back from you.

Is this available?

https://www.gearbest.com/walkie-talkies/pp_009289413320.html?wid=1433363

If so I will take this item with Australian plug if it is available.

Thanks, Steve.

gearbest’s picture
gearbest Mar 25 Delete Block
Sorry this item is lower thank 65 we are unable to apply it for you.
Please choose one item above 65USD, such as 100USD or others.

MRsDNF’s picture
You Mar 25 Delete
This one?

https://www.gearbest.com/walkie-talkies/pp_009855081539.html?wid=1433363

gearbest’s picture
gearbest Mar 26 Delete Block
Ok please send me the email account you will place this order.
You need to pay 25.87USD.

MRsDNF’s picture
You Mar 26 Delete
mrsdnf@yahoo.com.au

gearbest’s picture
gearbest Mar 27 Delete Block
I have applied the coupon code for you.
MMSBLFGB01 it just can be used once against the account mrsdnf@yahoo.com.au and the item https://www.gearbest.com/walkie-talkies/pp_009855081539.html?wid=1433363
The valid date from today to April 27th.
Please try to use it tomorrow.

MRsDNF’s picture
You Mar 27 Delete
Thanks. Purchased.

MRsDNF’s picture
You May 9 Delete
I received this package tonight.

Unfortunately for me you did not ship this with a battery.

I cannot use the radio.

Can you please ship the battery.

Thanks Steve.

gearbest’s picture
gearbest May 10 Delete Block
Sorry we are unable to ship out the battery for you.
As there is no any shipping method can ship out the battery.

MRsDNF’s picture
You May 10 Delete
So what do I use this item for without a battery?

Why did you not tell me before I chose it?

I cannot believe what Gearbest has done to me.

Please let me know what is going to happen now before I post this up in the forum.

This ain’t good :zipper_mouth_face:
Besides the dishonest and disrespectful situation for you guys that have not receive the prizes, it is also a bad thing for the OL Contest, as the participants can eventually “stay away” from it…

Maybe the organization of the OL Contest can chime in and “demand” the prizes to GB?

Waaaait a sec. That Baofeng radio? The one where it says right in the list of ingredients, “1 x Li-ion battery pack”?

No battery included? :person_facepalming:

That… sucks.

Wow…. That is pitiful!! :person_facepalming:

gearbest sucks, they used to be good but now today u might aswell buy somewhere else.

This is a particular situation where forum moderators/owners can step up and support the community by reprimanding gb or any other sponsors that doesn’t honor it’s agreed upon promisses.

Ouch. To everydaysurvivalgear, CRX, and MRsDNF, my sincere apologies for your experience. I wasn’t involved with any of the negotiations with GearBest, so unfortunately I’m not privy to any additional information or solutions to the problems in this year’s OL contest. But I’ll be sure to take this into account for next year’s contest to make sure nobody suffers through that treatment again.

Oh, and speaking of privies

I guess that pretty much sums up your experiences. :weary:

Also please make sure to post your experiences in this thread so they get more coverage, both by BLFers and random Google searchers:

:sunglasses: photo!

Outhouse - In the winter, 30 feet too far from the house. in the summer, 30 feet too close!

What’s weird to me is that there’s really no good reason to do any of this crap. Promotions are promotions; they are supposed to cost the company some money in order to generate sales via good will with a community or the prestige of the promotion.

I understand that BG and GB operate at low margins and depend on high volume, but it’s not good customer relations to constantly be skimping on all the supposed loyalty benefits they promote. It’s not intelligent to expect that minimizing your investment in rewards programs will somehow maximize the returns in customer loyalty and increased purchases.

Why make a points system when it’s so limited that it’s useless? This makes customers hate you more than if you had no points system at all! Expiring points, hard-to-honor coupons, etc are all just more ways to annoy the customers you claim to value. Yes, customers understand that buying at “wholesale” prices will not provide luxury-level customer service, but just do what you say and offer only what you can afford to honor.

The stories from MRsDNF and everydaysurvivalgear are both ridiculous as it would have cost the companies almost nothing to simply honor the prizes with no limitations. There’s zero reason that GB couldn’t have given a $65 discount (via points, coupon, whatever) that applied to any order and everydaysurvivalgear’s situation is even sillier since they only owed $35. In either case, the actual costs to the companies is less than the prize amount as they get to honor it at their cost and even write off whatever minor loss might remain (depending on relevant tax laws, obviously).

I especially loved how MRsDNF was encouraged to buy something at the $100 level, which would benefit GB since higher-priced items will generally be a lesser loss when honoring a $65 discount. But this “negotiating” is stupid when you originally agreed to a $65 coupon in exchange for the sponsor placement.

I’m not a fan of the modern-day mob mentality where online groups try to punish people or companies for perceived wrongs that often don’t even pass the smell test, but I’m all in favor of companies losing customers because they aren’t smart enough to create happy ones.

Why even sponsor a contest if you’re going to skimp on prizes that aren’t even worth $100? That’s more than just being cheap; it’s dumb. Even small contest winners should be assigned to an individual customer service rep and treated as a VIP. If the rep can’t apply the prize to anything that the winner wants to order, they’re either powerless, incompetent, or part of a criminal organization.

My money’s on all three :stuck_out_tongue: .

Thanks for the feedback every one!

What they done to moose is worse then my situation how the fudge do you use radios without the batteries. Bunch of flops!

I don’t think Gearbest is going to come to the party here this time.