How hard is it to mod an Eagletac D25A, D25C, D3a, D3c?

I love the size and shape of Eagletac lights, I love how thin they are relative to everything else out there. Some models even come with Nichia as an option which is great.

My only complaint with them is I don’t like their UI.

I’m wondering how hard would it be to drop in a different control module with a different LED to get a UI I like more and maybe a little more output?

The D3A/D3C are the titanium models and I’d prefer those if I could but if the aluminium models D25A/D25C are easier for some reason I’d work with it.

I have no soldiering iron or anything like that so I’d need drop in parts if possible.

Is this possible?

Without soldering, not much is possible unfortunately.

D25C/A lights also come in titanium.

Chris

No drop in options?

The d25c is a 17mm driver. The issue with the d25’s is keeping multiple chemistry support and losing the twisty feature.

They’re extremely easy to mod. Bezel screws off, parts fall out. You can even remove the pill in the d25c. Some titanium models don’t have the bezel and can’t be worked on.

Can I get a replacement pill or pull the board/driver off without soldiering it?

I’ve never modded a light before, can I just buy a board with a LED already on it and slap it in there?

The answer is no . Almost no lights are made that simple . that was the attraction of the P-60 lights .. Actually it seemed cooler than it really was . Swapping drop ins in or out of a light really never happened and it was just easier to have a cheap host (ultra-fire or solarforce ) to throw it in.. instead of a big briefcase with slots cut out of the foam .

Well there goes my dream.

What don’t you like about the U.I.?

It’s got memory mode and also comes on in L>M>H if you want that. Two full cycles before the blinkies, but you can soft press up until your seventh step and go back to zero.

Moonlight if you want it.

It’s a fantastic light, the ’14 Ti. version that I have, IMO. Looks sharp, is slender and short and is easily cleaned. Plus it’s got a GITD switch boot and nice clip.

I carry mine often.

Chris

…and that’s the reason many people start modding for themselves

I thought you had to go through the strobes to get back to low.

Negative ghost rider.

Soft press and you go all the way around and collect $200.

Chris

I haven’t tried the CR123 lights but with the AA/14500 lights I don’t like that when you put in a 14500 you don’t have a moonlight mode anymore. I’d prefer to mode the D3A or D25A clicky because I vastly prefer a slimmer light but if I can’t I might just grab the D25C or D3C with a Nichia and call it done because at 20mm it’s slimmer than some of the other 14500 lights out there (I’m looking at you Reylight)

Yeah, the D25A behaves differently than the D25C clicky, with a li-ion.

Chris

Soft press goes to the next mode, I thought. Do you mean long press?

Just barely press it and see what you see. If you advance to the next level, you’re doing it too hard.

Now mine is the 2014 titanium special edition, so I can’t speak to the standard D25C clicky.

Chris

Is the D3C the same diameter as the D25C Mk2? Eagletac doesn’t seem to say on their website.