Thrunite TC15 V3

The Thrunite TC15 V3 is the updated version of Thrunite’s original 18650 powered Thrunite TC15 V2. The TC15 features the Cree XHP35.2 emitter in cool white, which is rated for 2400 lumens on turbo. The beam profile is very smooth with decent throw thanks to the deep orange peel reflector. Overall it’s a nice beam profile for an edc / general use light. Included in the package is a 3100 mah 18650 non-proprietary battery, holster, usb c cable, spare o-rings, lanyard, spare usb cover, and the dual direction pocket clip. The included battery is not proprietary and the light functions and charges just fine with my other flat top 18650’s, although there is slight battery rattle with a flat top 18650. Inside the tailcap is a spring on the negative side and a metal contact on the head side to make battery contact.

The TC15 V3 upgrades the charging from micro usb to USB C, which is a great improvement. The rubber charging port is located on the side of the light which fits securely in place. On the V2, the rubber part of the charging port went around the whole light, but the V3 uses a typical charging port. The switch button is the same great metal switch used on previous Thrunite models. The switch button also acts as a battery indicator to show battery status when the light is on. Blue is fully charged and red means the battery needs to be charged. The light design has been updated with new knurling style as seen on the T1s and TH30V2. The knurling looks very nice and feels well in hand. The included dual direction pocket clips attaches nicely to the middle of the light and provides a mostly deep carry in the pocket. I wish the clip would attach to the tail of the light as seen on the T2. The body tube can be reversed and the threads screw in, however the light will not function with the body tube reversed.

UI is straightforward Thrunite but with one setback. A single press turns the light onto the last memorized mode. A long press from off is moonlight, a hold while on cycles through low, med, high, and a double click activates turbo. However if you are in moonlight mode and do another long press, it puts the light in lockout mode. You cannot proceed from moonlight mode into the regular modes. You have to turn the light back off and then single click to get into the last memorized mode. Mode spacing is pretty good here with the low mode rated at 34 lumens, medium at 330 lumens, and high at 1057 lumens.

I am quite impressed with the runtimes of this light. As you would expect, the light gets slightly warm on turbo. High mode is great with an output of 1057 lumens for 1.5 minutes and then 754 lumens for 108 minutes. Medium mode has a runtime of 4.6 hours at the 330 lumens setting. And low has a runtime of 50 hours at the 34 lumens setting. The Cree XHP35.2 does experience a little tint shift and appears green on lower levels. Overall I am very pleased with the TC15 V3, and the Cree XHP35.2 is a great LED choice for power, budget, and runtime for this size light.

Things I like:

• Included 18650
  • 2400 lumen turbo output
  • Onboard USB-C charging
  • Smooth anodizing and knurling

Things I don’t like:

• Cannot cycle from moonlight to regular modes
  • Tint shift