iPhone 13 LED is 100 CRI?

I have one of those Opple LightMaster Pro devices and when I first bought it, I measured everything. I think my iPhone 8 was something pretty bad, like 70 CRI.

Well I upgraded to an iPhone 13 now and sent back my iPhone 8, so I can't compare anymore. But when I measure my iPhone 13's LED 'flashlight', I'm getting a solid 5000K CCT and.... 100 CRI. That seems almost impossible.

Does anyone else have an iPhone 13 and good measuring equipment? I don't recall "stellar flashlight" among the marketing material for this phone announcement, but here we are.

Well, I had been limping along my old iphone 8…. Thanks a lot!

for $900 it better be 105 cri

My girlfriend has a iphone 10 (I’m a Sony geek myself) and the light measures:

CCT=4862
Duv=–0.0028
CRI=95.6
R9=96.8

My brand new Sony measures 4200 K, duv +0.0056, 86 CRI, R9 44, so iphone for the win! The iphone is brighter too.

1 Thank

I guess Apple stepped up their game shortly after my iPhone 8. It makes sense since they are promoting how good the camera is, they need to have equally good flash.

Impressive on the Iphone.

They have also been improving the tint with every generation but at the same time the output is reduced, my 13 pro max flashlight is noticeably dimmer than my old iPhone X, this could be seen as a con but it is also about efficiency, the camera low light improvements allows it to take much better pictures with a dimmer led flash. For the average non flashlight person it is plenty bright for most situations, but it kind of bothers me how little light (and heat) it produces, I could leave it on for a good while and the phone would not get warm.

I do remember my old iPhone 8 being brighter, so yep.

My iPhone 8 Plus has 4 LEDs on the back. The bottom 2 have an obvious lower CCT than the top 2. So I guess that would be “tint” mixing and probably helps with the quality of the flash.

I’ve often wondered if Apple goes even further by adjusting the brightness between the 2 CCTs depending on the situation?

100Ra (Opple) 4965K for IP11 Pro Max.

My Pixel 3a XL - CCT 3970; Ra 95.8 ; Old SamsungS5 - CCT4230; Ra 84.5;

What did you use to get that spectrum of the phone LED flashlight?
It wasn’t the Opple LightMaster Pro, was it?
From what I’ve read on this forum, it can’t really measure a color spectrum.

According to my Opple Lightmaster 3 Pro, my Google Pixel 5 is 4000k cct and has a 97 CRI.

Public service announcement: don’t actually use your cell phone flash for pictures. With the low light processing ability of modern phones, using the flash will lead to worse pictures the vast majority of the time.

I can’t stand those people who use a cell phone flash to attempt to light up a landscape or stadium.

Using it as a backup flashlight is fine of course.

Amen to that!

Well the wife and I caved and upgraded to the 13. Definitely an improvement as a flashlight, lol! A bit of the cat p* green though. Of course I’m partial to the 3500-4000k range but I guess this is ok as a back up. :money_mouth_face:

No, it is a Gossen Mavospec Base spectrometer, bought it a couple of years ago for a huge amount of money (for me it was huge), but I had lots of fun with it since, a really helpful device for the hobby. Btw, I since found that some Sekonic spectrometers, like the C-800-U, are a bit cheaper (still very expensive) and have better specs, but I have not had one in hands for a side-to-side comparison.

reddit user Cheule tested his iPhone 13 with a Sekonic here