95CRI 5000K keychain light from Sofirn's website

So Sofirn is selling a new keychain light on their website, and I had to try it.

It has an e-switch with high, low and off function, and uses two 3V CR2016 batteries in series.

Classic 5mm LED, but with 5000K CCT and 95CRI.
It looks colder to my eye, as I have a 5800K 97CRI diode that seems a bit warmer, see one of the pictures.

Matte black body with a clicky switch, looks good. Image courtesy of Sofirn.

Opening it up…

We find the LED & PCB, two batteries, a clear plastic divider (sits on top of LED pin and batteries), keychain, and the four tiny screws.

Closeup of the PCB.

WB @5000K - Consistency between the LEDs are okay, although some look a bit dimmer than the others. Most likely due to the battery voltage, but it could also be a bad contact as they flicker a bit when handling the light.
It is recommended to open the light and bending the LED pin on top of the batteries a bit down, so it has a better contact with the battery.

Beamshot, completely dark hallway, WB @5000K. Works about as good as my phone flashlight, the quality and throw is a bit better.

WB @5000K - Original 5000K 95 CRI, 5800K 97CRI, 3400K 96CRI, 3200K 97CRI, 2300K 95CRI and 1900K 93CRI. All custom diodes from rngwn here on BLF.

All in all, a great keychain light.
It is also a great sample light for my diode collection, I keep them in the diode drawers so I can easily test them out.
For example when changing out original incandescent bulbs in car instruments, I want to see how it looks like with the different CCTs before I do the soldering job.

Might be the 5800K LED rngwn found. Sofirn used warmer Sophia-LEDs for their C01 lights already.

Thanks for showing!

An excellent review, thank you very much! I thought these were old news when I saw them buried on Sofirn website a few weeks ago :person_facepalming:

Still challenging to find on their site, I can only see the product by using the search bar for “5mm”.

I’d like to see lower CCT options on their site. If they offered a selection pack with a wide range of CCT (at high CRI), I’d probably buy it. In addition, it would be brilliant if they could sell the diodes too!

Thanks for the recommendation. It’s really surprising to see these generic coin-cell lights sold with high CRI LED’s, but more importantly, it looks like a good value as a host for different emitters.

I already mentioned this over on Reddit, but I think it is also worth noting here: My experience has been that 2 x CR2016 lights will run fine on 1 x CR2032 if you swap in a low forward voltage LED like those from rngwn or Yuji.

Since CR2016 and CR2032 usually sell for the same price, you can save money on replacement cells this way, and I think get longer runtimes. I have not comparison tested actual runtimes, and there might be nuances to it like better operation in short pulses for one type versus better operation for continuous-on operation for the other type. Regardless, I’ve had a CR2032 in my old Inova Microlight (with a Yuji 3200K) for years and been happy with how it runs.

In the menu bar at the top:

Non-Sofirn Products > Non-Sofirn Flashlights

what is the cost?

$0.99 US.

+$6 per order

I have a soft spot for this style light even if I havent carried one for years. The Photon 2 was my first EDC and served reliably for years, unfortunately they refuse to modernize their emitters it seems.

Based on your handling does the case seem durable? Is that an e-switch or a clicky?

What price do you think is good enough?

What color temperature is better?

I just ordered a dozen along with a headlamp and there were zero shipping charges. Perhaps your total order needs to exceed a certain $ limit, in my case I ordered $34 in items.

Price would be ok if free shipping are available without min order amount, or 0.50$ pcs?

Color 1800K :smiley:

This light start in low mode and there is pwm?

Would be great implement sub lumen level like 0.1 LM