The new Silva Spectra - beamshot, compared to Olight H67S, Lupine Piko X4 and Nitecore HC65 v1

All lamps on turbo. On for max 30 seconds. Locked exposure. (Typo in the model name on the HC65 beamshot).

I had to google the Spectra…and then it took me a minute to realize that it was the Silva company. :slight_smile: I’ve used their orienteering compasses for years, hands down my favorite. I had no idea they’d gotten into lighting.

This model looks like a winner in so many ways - except the price is ouch. The remote is a genius idea, and having the light stick up a bit higher like this is actually really beneficial at times. Light modes look perfectly spaced for fast mountain biking, even for downhill use. Looks like it’s using maybe a 4S2P battery pack with 3300mAh-ish cells (assuming round cells based on the shape of the housing?).

Your photo shows such nice tint from the XHP50.2…looks great and somewhat surprising. Might be nice if the beam had just a little more oomph in the middle to gain some throw but for most things I bet it’s just fine. Also might be nice if the light didn’t turn on at 2500lm, but rather a L-to-H for firing up in the parking lot (80lm is still a little bright but not eye-searing). And that 250lm reserve mode could be nice to have in the regular rotation for use in camp or slow riding. Run times look pretty great, though, but I’d like to see a cooled graph to see how it really behaves (and if the thermal regulation they mention is overly aggressive). But if it can sustain the 2500lm in warm temperatures outside while moving, that’s plenty.

The light head is HEAVY…that can be a real (literal) pain on a helmet if you ride for more than short stints, and can be super irritating if a helmet isn’t properly adjusted/shifts position on rough terrain.

I would also want to know if the light head has a sort of “breakaway” feature where it will separate from the mount in the event of a crash. That can be very important so that your head/neck doesn’t get wrenched violently if the light happens to impact just so, or snags on something while riding or crashing. Leatt neck braces can save the day but many people will never buy and wear those (do skiers?). With the light being taller above the helmet, this is maybe even a little more important. It can also save the helmet integrity (standard helmets, not stronger downhill/full face types) so it doesn’t crack on light impact and may protect better if you tumble and have one or two more impacts.

Anyway, thanks for sharing this. Great pics & comparison, and I enjoyed browsing this light and the “new” Silva website and products…hadn’t looked at their site in a long time.

Link for those curious: Spectra A – 10 000 lumen headlamp for action sports – Silvasweden.com – Silva Global

Also…the price of a replacement battery pack from Silva almost makes Dyson batteries look fairly priced. :slight_smile:

Silva has made headlamps for many many years. Also, I did not pay full price. It’s 33% off at the moment where I live.

The helmet I use is already 600+ grams and fits really well, so another 230 doesn’t really make that much of a difference to me.

The lamp just sits gently in the slot on the mount and will come loose if it snags on something, but it’s not so loose that it will fall out by itself.

Isn’t remotes kind of common for lamps intended to be mounted on bikes? I put mine just below the handle on one of my ski poles.

Also not sure that tint is 100 % correct as I only locked the exposure and not the WB, but the light does look nice. I prefer the even flood with not too much throw in the middle, as throw can be a bit blinding on snow. It also lights up as far as I need it to (310 meters).

I don’t know what kind of cells are in the battery, but you’re probably right.

It’s indeed sad that it’s lacking any kind of customization for the light modes.

I tested the lamp while just walking in –2 degrees celsius and it stayed on turbo for 30 minutes straight. If it did any gentle dimming, I did not notice it and the lamp did not become too hot to touch.

The battery is currently $150 here. Expensive, but still cheaper than Lupine batteries.

EEEEEEEGADZ!!!

Would be interesting to see drivers and measured output in Watts.

That’s the Olight H67. H67S is huge and heavy, but not as protruding and doesn’t have a built in fan:

Comparing the Olight H67S to the Silva Spectra is like comparing the Silva Spectra to the Lupine Alpha. Huge difference in quality. The H67S can be had for around $250 lightly used these days.

1lumen said they would ask Silva for a review unit. Hopefully they got it, because I’m also curious to see how it measures.

I’m happy to see a Silva review. Is it made in Sweden or Finland?

Seems like a worthy competitor to the 7500 lumen Lucifer: https://luciferlights.net/en/headlamp-ultra

The Lucifer is 600 euros, so cheap by comparison.

That seems so high for an Eastern European light. I remember when CZ had low cost lights.

daymoon.cz

Eastern European … dude have ever heard about EU, no?

Oh, right.