Problem With Protected 10440

Today I received two Ultrafire gray 10440 protected batteries. One was at 0 volts and the other at 3.82V. I tried the 3.82V battery in my Fenix LD01, but it would not turn on. I saw no evidence of destroying the LED and the Eneloop works fine. I do not yet have a charger that is on order from Manafont.

I understand that the LD01 will handle protected cells, and I realize that 3.82 volts is less than 50%, but I thought it should work to at least give some indication of the brightness of the LD01. Is there an obvious problem? I have read of washers being used but I have no idea what that is about.

Thanks for the help.

Jerry

DUH. I found some information from kreisler that provides the answer. "The grey ones are too long for the E09 and the LD01R4 *unless* you install a washer of 1.0mm (or thicker .. e.g. 1.5mm) thickness in the head of the torches, i.e. a loose ring on top of the driver contact disc as i had documented it in the E09 thread and in the 10440's thread. The grey cell should fit through the ring."

I assume the washers are to be found in hardware stores, but not sure if there is a special washer or not.

Jerry

I had issues with my Ultrafire gray 10440 protected batteries. I had to remove the protection circuit on a couple which fixed the 0 volt problem and allowed them to fit more lights because they are shorter now.

doesnt have to be a special washer. should conduct electricity and be of at least 1.00mm thickness. in theory you could bend your own (open) ring with a little cable (cable diameter 1.00mm).

0V means that the protection has tripped. you need a Liion charger to get the voltage back up. typically the voltage is 3.10-3.20V once you unleash the 0V. a small charge or impulse charge is sufficient to unleash :)

Thanks, guys. Your responses are helpful.

If I wanted to remove the protection circuit, could I just use a knife and cut it off the end? A dumb question?

I expect the charger from Manafont in about a week, but I would not bet anyone's life on it.:)

Jerry