Change again...Its it still tf-3t6 most light with budget

EDITED…got my answer… never search enough, my bad.
(never search enough for skyray 818 vs 3t6)

Dun want make new thread so change topic.

As topic>>??
(Getting another light)

Or is there any light in the $30ish that can OTF about 1500 lumen? floody prefered but throwey also ok.

Have a hard time deciding…—

I had both the 2x18650 version of Trustfire and SkyRay 818. I couldn’t tell the difference between max output of the two. There was slight difference in tint. A summary of pros and cons:

Trustfire
+good out of the box
+better protected tail switch
+original glass and retaining ring can be removed and replaced with a really thick glass
-harder to operate tail switch
-no direct thermal path (can be improved with thermal grease)

Sky Ray 818
+direct thermal path
+easier to operate tail switch
+more recessed glass (deeper bezel)
-can accidentally switch on (solved with trimming the switch boot nipple)
-not waterproof (needs some o-rings replaced)

I bought trustfire for fellow caver almost a year ago and he hasn’t complained so far. OTOH I can testify for Sky Ray that it can take the beating of a cave.

Thx Matjazz for fast reply.

By any chance, u know any lights in the $30ish that can illuminate as much as 3t6?

@Matjazz: TR-3T6 has no direct thermal path?? The pill and reflector thread into the head/body for about the best thermal path of all the plunger styled multi-XM-L torches. It’s the reason that the 3T6 excelled compared to the Skyrays which, except for the first edition of the first one, were basically drop-ins with poor thermal properties earning them the nickname of “FryRays” causing many members here to swear off Skyray lights forever.

As for output, there is a simple $2 mod you can do to the TR-3T6 that kicks up output considerably and safely (@2200 lumens). My 3T6 now puts out the same visible light as my King which in turn is nearly as bright as my DRY on turbo. :wink:

@Cop: The TR-3T6 is the most lumen/$ there is and they are rock-solid with the best reputation for reliability. The Skyray triples (except for the SR King) are known for being plagued with driver failure. There are a few exceptions to that reputation, like Matjazz’s Skyray, but most of those were all from the first batch of SR triples. Later releases had loads of issues.

I had that one too and lost it in a muddy water. The head of 818 (at least the one I have) is made the same way so leds are glued directly on the head.
That being said I recommend trustfire as both of my skyrays needed some attention to make them reliable.

The cheapest one i found is $39 shipped on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270788479701?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&\_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

does this apply to all skyRay lights ?

thx Johnny for confirming 3t6 is still unbeatable base on $.

ya, read bout he resistor mod. 2.2 amp to each led> tink i will also do that mod, do u think is still save to run ~60mins on turbo mode?

I’m getting 2.6A to each LED with mine after the mod. The light is more than safe to run for an hour IMO. 2.2A - 2.6A is still plenty below Cree rated max for the T6 and the torch has plenty of mass and finning to keep it all under control. I wouldn’t recommend tail standing it on high indoors with no air movement but outdoors walking around…no hesitation. It’s really a wonderful light and the only reason I don’t use mine more is the length of it. Ever since I got the DRY, followed by the King, I prefer the short fatties over the tall skinnies (always a first for everything). It still only applies to torches though. Some things will never change! :wink:

Hehe… think i also must mod it!!

So, from the originally “sub 1500 lumen” till 2200 lumen (king/dry’s lumen).
Is it quite alot of diff? Or can it be said as brighter only?

Meaning if 2 piece 3t6, 1 with mod, 1 without, when switched on, can tell diff by 1 glance?

Tried taking my C8 shining together with my 3t6 also dun make sense?
I cannot visualise an extra 500-700 lumen on 3t6…

Reason being i use j18 also like double the light intensity…normal see not very bright, only when totally dark then see things are brighter at a given distance .

Thanks.

EDITED: At that 3t6 thread> there is something i cannot understand clearly regarding the turbo mode. (my english is poor)
Understand mid now will be the original high. then the high will be the NEW turbo mode. [the 20sec turbo mode post by benckie is only reffering to the other driver?]

By doing the resistor, the turbo mode can be used for long time?

Edited again: the 3t6 that i have is good workhorse that got “abused” (heat sink/fins in water & on for some hours) & survived.
my old man ditch 3t6 & now use j18, so i am stuck with 2 piece 3t6…

My new issue now is> my backpack have 3 slots/packet for light (left/right/middle).
Left & right i put 3t6 into it… “left the middle slot/pocket”, if i get the 3rd piece 3t6 seems abit blend…LOL

Which is why i originally wanted to get skyray 818 but read its fryray…of cos setting the budget not more then $40/- as i can get 3t6 at $35/-
Is there really no lights about $30ish that gv off 1500lumen?

They only call it “turbo mode” because of the increase in brightness. There is no 20 second timer. That is referring to the DRY.

Because medium on the modded light is about the same as high on an unmodded light, its like having a turbo mode.

Ok, understood. Will be getting the resistor soon.

Last qus. For $30ish, is there no light that can be in 1500 lumen range?
Cos if there is non, getting the 3rd piece 3t6…

This

Price is good.

Warranty: All the Life (means when it dies the warranty dies-lol)

Everbuying.com has the TR-3T6 (3-cell version) for $33.99 shipped. I have used them in the past without issue but others have had issues with them.