Single XML Shootout featuring Stanley FatMax spotlight

I posted this here because the majority of the lights in this shootout are CN parts and xxxFire hosts modded with overdriven XML emitters. It could have as easily been posted in the LED Spotlight forum because it highlights the throw prowess of the Stanley FatMax XML version spotlight.

First, the contenders. All beamshots are in this order left to right and the group shot is in the same left to right order:

From left to right, with drive current measured just before shooting, they are:

UltraFire C308 @ 3.5A

UltraFire C8-A1 @ 3.45A

DX V8 drop-in @ 2.7A (calculated)

xxxFire D1 / DX V6 5000K @ 3.0A (calculated)

HD2010 @ 3.7A measured

Stanley FatMax XML @ 2.7A (calculated)

All individual beamshots taken 55ft from the (filthy) white PVC fence. Camera settings for individual shots were: F/14, ISO 200, WB 5200K, 0.3 sec

UltraFire C308 @ 3.5A:

UltraFire C8-A1 @ 3.45A:

DX V8 drop-in @ 2.7A (calculated):

xxxxFire D1 / DX V6 drop-in 5000K @ 3.0A calculated:

HD2010 @ 3.7A measured:

Stanley FatMax XML @ 2.7A (calculated):

Group shots taken with all lights 11ft from fence (same left to right order). Camera settings were F/22, ISO 200, WB 5200K with shutter speeds as follows:

0.3 sec:

1/6 sec:

1/10 sec:

1/20 sec:

1/30 sec:

thanks for sharing, whats that big thing with ashperical lens at the back ? :stuck_out_tongue:

Where to buy? International here…. :smiley:

This would out throw the TN31 and SR90. Possibly the SR95 UT.

Aw shucks….looks like its not. I thought it would be at least 4 inches for the reflector.

stanley Fat Max XML spotlight !!! | Candle Power Flashlight Forum!!!

I was in walmart today and saw the stanley fat max rechargable spot light and picked it up and looked at the bussness end and my jaw dropped. The reflector is huge and at the bottom is a nice cool white xml(not sure the bin)!!!. So for 50 bucks i bought it… i wish i new how to put pictures on here. The reflector is 3 inches wide and about 3.5 inches deep. i compared it to my sunwayman t40cs and the hot spot is 3 times smaller and twice as bright so i compared it to my dereelight ez900 aspheric and it was very close between the two in terms of throw. output is slightly higher then my t40cs. for 50 bucks its a great bang for your buck. it also uses li-ion rechargable batteries in it.

Thanks for taking the time to do these shots. The Fat Max seems to be developing a bit of a following here. After your beam shots and 2100's comments they will probably sell a few more.

???

That's weird coming from you? Same 2100? XTAR S1 reviewer?

Where did you get that, previous post? Wierd, forum got hacked?

Post #3. I thought the whole post was weird, didn't sound like you at all. And I didn't think there's any Walmart in SG.

What happened? Cross-post? Check above post #3, is it editable by you? Maybe time to change the password. Quote below in case the above post deleted.

Sorry to derail this thread anyway, carry on guys.

Oh i see….sorry Pulsar, i just copied and pasted the first post from CPF. :smiley:

Possibly. There’s a lot I like about it, but I can’t wholeheartedly recommend it because of all the don’t get it wet, don’t knock it around (or drop it) warnings in the manual. Seriously, how they ever decided to market a flashlight that’s so delicate and not the least bit weather resistant, I’ll never understand. I guess it’s great if you live in a desert… oh wait, there are warnings about heat as well. Make that, it’s the perfect light if you live inside a dark, climate controlled warehouse with wall-to-wall gym mats for carpeting. This one’s for throw junkies only, but not very practical.

I'm impressed that the HD2010 (2-inch reflector) compares as well as it does against such a single-purpose light.

Foy

Nah it’s probably pretty tough, they’re just covering themselves against lawsuits. Kinda like the warning labels mcdonalds puts on their coffee.

Thanks tech for doing this.

Curious hw did you calculate the 2.7A drive current?

Based on 1.34A draw from a fully charged 7.4V nominal pack (9.916W consumed). That assumes very little sag under load and 10% driver loss. (9.916 * 90% = 8.92 and CREE XM-L pulls 2.7A @ 3.3Vf = 8.91W to LED)

I would agree with you, except for the fact that the smaller FatMax LED spotlight with the 500 lumen label has “dip it, dunk it, drop it” right on the outside of the box. I have a feeling this one is easily damaged.

Does it use lithium batteries?

Probably not, or they wouldn’t have made it air tight. I think one of the reasons for the “2000 Lumen” version not being air tight is in case the Li cells need to vent. Another being to avoid pressure build up as hot components inside heat the air.

Don’t get me wrong, mine won’t be a shelf queen, but my expectation is that might malfunction if it gets wet and under that circumstance, won’t be covered by warranty. For that reason, I might not take it places that I would have if it were the 500L version.

That’d be this: “109 LED conversion to 75mm Aspheric XML (pic heavy) | Candle Power Flashlight Forum“:109 LED conversion to 75mm Aspheric XML (pic heavy) | Candle Power Flashlight Forum~~(pic-heavy)