100% Perfect dedome method

The only one we have confirmed damaging max Amp if left in for way to long is acetone, Mitko found out the hard way :wink:

The rest of these new dedoming solutions we just don’t know yet.

Here is what I used, just in case you guys need the info. Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) Solvent

Zero gas smell!

I just noticed that stuff is not for sale or use in California. I guess the powers that be don’t want us to hurt ourselves or the earth with a little paint thinner. Ugh.

Great, so what do we use? I guess that other thinner mentioned above...

Yeah, I guess its safer to use gallons of stuff that doesn’t work, instead of just a little bit of something that does. :~

Or you could use the stuff nitro recently told us about, if it is available in your area. It is called Klean Strip After Wash.

It looks like we can get that, thanks! Maybe one of these days I will be brave, and try a dedome.

Yea, the thinner I use is actually an emitter preservative. Comes out tougher than when it went in...

Just bought some REAL Goof-Off. Made fast works out of the dome. Turned it into flaky chunks immediately. Done.

Well not immediately but you know what I mean..

Ok, so that’s the brand.
What’s the type? Part number?

Photos resized for Quote

i have some of that, so does anyone have a list of LED's that CAN be dedomed?

Oh, I forgot to mention that this goof off evaporates about 4 times faster than gasoline.

Maybe it should be called Dome Off.

Dome Off! I love it!

Just found the hazmat for MEK Substitute and it is 100% Acetic acid, ethyl ester {Ethyl acetate} So I am not sure how well it will work. For those of you in places where MEK is not sold in stores; Fiberglass shops might be a good source as they use a lot of it. For those in California maybe surfboard shops.

Why bother with MEK when you can get Dome Off at Home Depot in California...

I’ve actually got some Dome Off in the cabinet in the garage. I’ve never used it for anything practical, so maybe I’ll give it a try before I buy something else.

XP-L V6 1A dedome and reflow into XP32 to use in a Courui. I made a quick video showing how a quick blow of compressed air gets rid of the residue. For this dedome I pulled the LED as soon as the dome fell off just after 30 mins of submersion. In the back you can see the thinner I’m using “LACA THINNER” (local brand).

For a even cleaner dedome the led can be left more time, or submerged again after the first blow.

V6 1A after dedome looks much like my MT-G2 Q0, about 5000k. Not green at all, just sightly warm. For some reason it throws 30% more in the courui compared to the DD XM-L2 U3 1A with the same driver, same reflector at the same height.

[video:www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB9tfrMBw8M]

Just pulled out of the thinner:

After reflowing:

Lookin good!