1000 Lumen , 60-90 minute run time-Night walker?

Looking for Aprox 1000 lumens that can be sustained for 60-90 minutes of walking time. Obviously pocket sized preferred. New to this game so looking for any guidance.
I have an Imalent R60C but that thing is similar to carrying a bowling ball in pocket.

Depends on what you mean by pocketable. I don’t think even a low CRI 6500k XHP70.3 will sustain 1000 lumens in a host small enough to be jeans pocketable (I’m thinking 1x18650 sized hosts here). There’s not enough surface area on the host to dissipate the heat.

If you beef the size of the host up a bit, like an SC700D, E12R or D4SV2 with boost driver, you’ll be able to get 900-1000 sustained lumens for multiple hours.

Small Jacket Pocketable sodacan style lights like the TC20 v2 can definitely do it as well. If you’re looking for something a little more throwy, the K30GT can sustain even 2000 lumens for over an hour, and throw 100kcd to boot. It can also fit into a jacket pocket.

Welcome to BLF, Brokearrow.

The Convoy M3C is a popular recommendation here. Smaller than that Imalent but not quite pants-pocket sized (fine in most jacket pockets, though, if a bit weighty). 26650 cells or you can add a tube extender for a couple bucks and use 26800 cells which will give you far more run time than you’re asking for and can also deliver a lot of current compared to most 26650 cells. USB-C onboard charging. It’s a single emitter reflector and he’s got a few choices. Around $40 give or take depending on what you choose.

Emisar/Noctigon has some smaller multi-emitter models that are worth a look, too, if you get them with his add-on boost driver. Hank has excellent quality lights and all will have Anduril firmware. The multi-emitter lights use plastic optics and generally have pretty smooth floody or flood-ish beams (can swap optics for small changes there), generally don’t throw as far as what you get in a more traditional setup like this Convoy, if that matters. Depending on the light and mode you’re always going to have at least 40-80 yards of real life usable light, though, which is plenty for most things. The newer D4K uses a 21700 cell and is very pocketable….with the boost driver and depending on emitter choice you’re looking at around $70 or so. He has the D4SV2 as well, which is 26650/26800…more light and still pocketable and considerably smaller than the M3C.

I have all three of those lights and they’re great, honestly. If you don’t mind the size and want more throw when needed, the Convoy is the way to go. Both of those lights from Hank are fantastic and he has many emitters to choose from, just a little less reach but also smaller…do get the boost driver for what you’re needing, though (extra $12). Without the boost driver you’ll get a smidge more light output but also more heat and stepdown in that output (you could keep bumping it up but that’s a hassle and sometimes not the best decision).

Part of the trick here is sustaining that higher light output for a long period. To do so you need a lot of heat dissipation from the host….larger, more metal, etc….and then electrical efficiency and smarter driver design can increase from there or make it tolerable in a smaller host. A great many lights can’t achieve this and will only give you that output for a few minutes, some maybe 20 minutes or so, before dropping down steadily or abruptly to much lower output.

Don’t wait too long to order because Chinese New Year is coming up quickly and once that holiday begins there will be probably a 2-4 week delay, assuming covid doesn’t complicate all of that further.

Convoy: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/M-series/1100591265_519083320.html?origin=n&SortType=bestmatch_sort&g=y&SearchText=m3

Emisar D4K: https://intl-outdoor.com/emisar-d4k-1-21700-high-power-quad-edc-led-flashlight.html

Noctigon D4SV2: https://intl-outdoor.com/emisar-d4sv2.html

1,000 lumens for 60 to 90 minutes is going to take a lot of battery to sustain any emitter putting out that much light.

Then there is the heat produced and emitter step-down.

Honestly, I don't think there is a flashlight made that will produce that many lumens for an hour that you can hold in your hand and fit in your pants pocket.

All three I mentioned above will do that easily, actually can sustain more lumen output than what he’s asking for. The Convoy (losing points for pants-pocketability) can do it for hours and is barely warm to the touch (and it’s not really all that huge in size)…the Hank lights aren’t far behind and they’re smaller. The little D4K with boost quickly became maybe my favorite all around light and the run time is really impressive with more output than needed, really, even with warm 519A emitters. People have been complaining/clamoring lately for better drivers that can sustain output, so we’ll see how many manufacturers step up to the plate and can still keep the prices decent. We’ve gotten to the point where we are demanding Zebra performance and quality for budget prices, though. Still impressive what they’ve been delivering to us compared to not too many years ago!

I take evening walk for about 50 minutes everyday and have same requirement as yours. I have multiple walk lights and none will meet the 1000 lm sustained brightness, except one, Wurkkos TS30S with SBT90.2.

It’s my most favorite walk light and is pocketable both in jacket and my loose khaki pants. Slightly large but IMHO this is the minimum size for your requirement if you want “best” possible light. It’s a well known light; google it for uniformly great reviews. I also have my impression here: Wurkkos TS30S + monster LED SBT90.2 = $60 4750lm 1km SUPER-Thrower. Comparison w/ TS30S Pro, Olight, Nitecore, & other monster lights. :)

TS30S stays very bright and has a balanced beam: tremendous 1km throw with a very good spill for close range. Max output is 4000 plus - a true pocket monster. Above all, frequently on sale for $60; an absolute steal. When I have time I should check myself to make sure :) but below is runtime in excellent review by Luxwad seems to meet 1000 lumen x 1 hour requirement:

Will the Wurkkos actually deliver for him? I had one that I gifted, didn’t put it through any paces, just made sure it worked. Zero’s review suggests that it may not quite give the output/run time that OP is asking for…plus it’s pretty big. If his current measurements at this level are accurate at 2.2A then the stock Lishen cell is fine and something like a Samsung 50G may not improve anything. I love Luxwad’s reviews but I don’t think that thermal graph is very useful here. Zero’s fan cooled graph below presents best case for constant run time at that level and with stock thermal setting. If OP doesn’t mind that fat head in a pocket maybe the 45-ish minutes will suffice?

(copied here with Zero’s previous permissions for sharing of this type….full review link here: Wurkkos TS30S Andúril Flashlight Review - ZeroAir Reviews )

Both the Manker MK37 and Acebeam K30GT will pass the 1000 lumens for an hour with flying colors. SBT90.2 is extremely efficient at lower currents, so it will sustain 1000 lumens with 0 heat issues for multiple hours, not to mention throw decently far.

If throw isn’t a major consideration though, any single 26500 or 21700 light with an XHP70.2/3 will definitely sustain 1000 lumens for multiple hours, but will be rather floody. Zebralight SC700D can almost be jean pocket friendly, and sustains 900 lumens, which might as well be 1000 lumens. It will also be high CRI.

Hi there.

Here’s three flashlights with constant current boost driver that may suit your needs:

1. Sofirn C8L, for good medium range throw with bright spill. Runtime on High mode which is about 1000-1100 lumens is approx 100 minutes (using Sofirn’s 5000 mAh cell) as tested by a number of reviewers, such as this one Sofirn C8L review | Thrower flashlight with 3,000 lumens and 70 kcd throw | 1Lumen.com
    It’s a C8 with 46 mm head size though.

2) Next is Sofirn SP33S for wide floody beam. Also sustains 1100 lumens but longer at approx 130 minutes due to higher capacity cell (5500 mAh). I usually refer people to Youtube channel Piercing the Darkness’s video review for this flashlight (and C8L as well).
Its size should be more manageable than the C8L due to its streamlined head-body (36 mm head).

3) Wurkkos TS22, to me it’s a slimmed down version of SP33S. Slimmer and lighter, it will be the most pocketable out of the three here. However, I’m not sure if it can sustain 1000 lumens due to less mass, perhaps it can sustain just slightly below that.

That’s it from me for now. Surely there are many more lights that can fulfill your requirements :slight_smile:

While I’m at it, I don’t think Wurkkos TS30S would be suitable. Even if we set the brightness level at around 1000 lumens, it would inevitably & slowly step down from voltage sag because of the FET driver.
That 55 mm head would be even less pocketable too.

The Fireflies E12R can easily sustain 1,000 lumens for over 1 hour given how many emitters it has and the very efficient LUME driver and there are plenty of good tint/CRI options. The Olight Seeker 3, Olight Perun 2, and Olight Warrior 3S can also achieve this with their ultra efficient drivers but they only come in standard CRI CW tint. The Emisar D4K should also have no problem with the boost driver but it doesn’t have usb recharge. Keep in mind these lights all have high quality, high efficiency, regulated drivers unlike many of the lower cost linear driver lights that are much less efficient and their light output tapers down with battery voltage.

Can I ask why 1000 lumens? I went for a long night in a forest walk a few weeks ago with a 7,000 lumen light and didn’t use any power level above 200 lumens.

Acebeam E70-AL XHP70.2, Olight Seeker 3 Pro, Convoy M3-C/M21D/M21F, Thrunite TC20 V2, and Sofirn SP33S will all sustain over 1000 lumens, but are 70CRI.

The Acebeam will sustain 1000 lumens for an hour?

I didn't know that.

It's my favorite floody flashlight.

What emitters would be recommended for the Convoy flashlights to sustain 1000 lumens for an hour?

XHP70.2 is always good for efficiency.

Two lights come to mind. This one I carried as a duty light for a few years before retiring. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832743980962.html? It’s been used nearly daily, dropped several times, Mateminco TK01/Astrolux FT01. Review Astrolux FT01 review | Tactical flashlight with CREE XHP50.2 and 2,000 lumens | 1lumen.com The other Mateminco MT01/Astroluv EA01 with an extended tube 26800 battery will run 2.5+ hours at 1000 lumens. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801845916516.html? https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802861525406.html? The extra length of the tube fits the hand better. About 120 minutes with the 26650 battery. https://1lumen.com/review/astrolux-ea01/ Your 1000 lumens at 60-90 minutes is going to need some mass. 26800 battery 26800 6800mAh 3.7v Li-ion Flat Top Battery – Aloft Hobbies

It can, shown twice (A, B).

One of the rarer Sofirn/Wurrkos lights that has the steak to back up the sizzle, with a good driver.

For those who don’t consider Anduril a necessity, it’s a arguably a better light than its sibling TS21; more flood, doesn’t suffer severe step downs, only a slightly longer form factor. If they had gone all the way with a high CRI version of the emitter, the contest would be sealed.

To me, like the SP35, it’s a sleeper, or at least started out that way. Nobody paid any attention to it early on, but strong fundamentals have made it a more common sight now. It’s also a potential candidate for the OP, though at about the 800lm level, with a beam tipped on the throw side of the scale.

Shows what the brands are capable of, still at a budget price, which makes it all the more frustrating that most of what they sling is the cheap FET-driven stuff.

1000 lumen is approximately 3 Amperes from a single cell.
So you need more than 3Ah (3000mAh) battery capacity to provide that current for an hour, so the obvious battery choice i think would be one of those 4900mAh 21700’s that are rated for 10 Amperes max continuous discharge current, run and LED at 10 Watts or so and there you should be able to get 1000 lumen for 90 minutes.

Heat may be something to look into, since even a C8 type body gets hot at 10 Watts, eventually.
You might want to use a highly efficient LED (big die, underpowered, 5000 - 6000K,lower CRI) driven with less Current, like 2.3 Amperes or something.
An efficient buck driver could be better than a linear constant current driver if the Vf of the LED at 1000 lumens output is not far above 3 Volts (like with an underpowered LED).

Thanks for the input guys! Much to learn- Before I popped this question I did order the D4V2 but without the boost driver as I saw somewhere that it was overkill. Will do some playing when it arrives and will see if it makes me happy.

Yes I know 1000 LM is a bit much for walking at night and actually since we live in the country on some nights zero light is required but just threw that out as a #. I believe I am just seeking something easily carried in pocket with a high run time if needed.

Good choice for sustained run times. The 26650 D4SV2 will give you some extra run time if you find you really needed it.

Your other option is the FireFly options with the new LUME1 driver. The E7 series and NovMu series are really nice!

Well it just so happens that I recently purchased the E07…………
Also recently acquired the Imalent LD70 which has a nice floody bean but dies out rather quickly at 900 lumens.

Started with a few rovyvons and learning everyday! I had no idea that their are flashlight addicts worldwide and some really great flashlights. My friends think I’m odd and my wife knows I am crazy but much cheaper than collecting fishing rods…….

My personal recommendation would be the Convoy S21B with the Nichia B35AM 5700k.

Efficient driver with an efficient high CRI LED is the best combo.