100W teardown!

You might try to find a narrower lens if you want better throw.

However, the narrowest one you can realistically find will be 60 deg angle ones. Which probably still won't make a good thrower. The spot diameter of the light will be equal to the distance from the source to the surface. (i.e. if you are 10m away from the wall, the spot size will also 10m in diameter).

There also exists 45 or maybe 30 degree lens for that, but it's only in alibaba. You will have to purchase in volume for that.

I checked Alibaba and none of those would work. None of the off-shelf options for this setup are ideal without extensive modifications.

I’m contemplating options, like seeing if I can eliminate the glass lens and go with a straight reflector I already have on there. That would require reworking the whole front end, so maybe or maybe not something I’ll take on. I’ll post it on here if I do, but for now I’ll focus on the battery. 45 sec of max power run time is lame.

I have laptop batteries lying around from a 12 cell 14.8v, 68Wh Paco out of an early 2005 or 2006 Compaq laptop. I think I’m going to need some high drain cells though…

Thanks for sharing. It looks like you’d be limited to led lenser of you wanted actual optics in a zoomie, but they’re really expensive like over $100. Matt Smith reviewed two of them from his Bass Pro Shop comparison and they’re great, but too expensive. I am planning a sst-40 fet driver build coming soon.