10mm linear driver- discussion thread now

I was hoping that with a small tip my eyes wouldn’t get so big. Thanks for the… hint. At least it was cheap and maybe the small board won’t need as much heat. Would bumping the temp a few degrees to compensate help?

Maybe, that can mess up the flux. Small solder can help.

any update on these ? id like to have a few boards to start some small builds :slight_smile:

It seems input has slackened off which suggests to me that it’s time to see about getting some. I very much want to get this done on a thin pcb and will wait for tvat but maybe Matt can set up the latest version at Oshpark for those who need it now or don’t need the thin boards. I know Matt was hoping to be able to have Seeed do them in a suedo panelized fashion to lower the cost. I don’t know what it would cost without that ability.

Getting my stuff in finally, got my two Solitaire Maglights in, no clue on what to do to put a pill in them.

Going to try my hand at stacking 7135's on an AK-47A before I go after the 10mm board, I do have some solder paste and a hot pad so maybe I can reflow the ATtiny13A side once they come in

Any suggestions on building a pill for this thing, I notice that the regular incandescent bulb the on switch is spring loaded, unscrew to turn on, so the led would have to sit on that switch? Or is there a better tail clicky 10440 host out there? I seriously want to get the ball rolling :D

Anyone see these? 10 pieces for $23.99 or $2.99 cents a piece, possible hosts?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Free-Shipping-MXDL-XT-712710pcs-lot-3W-50-Lumens-Mini-LED-Flashlight-Black-1-x/902251233.html

or something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AngelFire-A-103-Cree-R5-LED-10440-AAA-Mini-Flashlight-Torch-/221368268275

Here is a link to the most pic heavy thread I made on solitaire pills. With an actual driver board it would be different in some ways but at least it shows how to create more space for the parts.

This is another thread that might have some useful bits. It might at least give a hint why I wanted to have these small boards done.

The AAA Minimag has more room in the head and would prove easier in some ways to fit this driver into but needs either a chop mod or spacer to work. Since I’m already conversant with the chop mod I’ll start there and mull over the solitaire mod a bit more. The Utilitech AAA w/tailswitch might be easier to mod with its larger head. I have one I could part with for cost plus postage if you can’t find one at your local HD. Lumatic bought the entire US supply I think(at least 50 anyway). The switch isn’t up to high currents but that’s a mod for another day. Maybe other members can think of hosts this could work with.

Both of the lights you linked to look like they would be easier to mod than a solitaire but no guarantees. They may have been glued together in places but they sure look promising.

For anyone who doesn't care about the PCB thickness, this should work:

http://oshpark.com/shared_projects/LO3GPkoN

The cost is 85c for 3 lol.

As for getting hold of thinner versions this remains a work in progress.

- Matt

Is this revision V2.2 final or the original V1?

It is not V1 for sure (I remember that one) so I guess it is the last version

Most definitely the latest and greatest :)

awesome just ordered 30 boards :) more when the thin version comes out

I tried a few different numbers at This site linked by Texaspyro in post 129. Down to .8 mm there’s no extra charge and they’ll go as thin as .6mm. Color other than green is extra as is lead free HASL (:money_mouth_face: or enig gold($:money_mouth_face:. I’ve asked Matt to look them over but if anyone has a suggestion for another fabricator now would be a good time to mention it. Anyone with experience with panelizing might save everyone some $ with your input. Thanks.

I tried to register at OSH Park but for some reason I am not receiving their confirmation e-mail and therefore cannot login to see shipping quotes…

Try checking your spam folder and make sure they are not blocked. I had a similar problem not receiving emails from Cutter.

that was first thing I did. I am on gmail so even if something is classified as spam by gmail I can see it (as “Spam (1)” for example)…
Maybe they don’t accept public email domains like gmail, hotmail and similar!!!

Next would be to email them. It’s probably happened before.

OK I made it, ordered 9 pcs :slight_smile:

Just ordered a dozen and also got some new Hakko tips in today. Including a couple of wee bitty ones! lol .5mm bevel tips, perfect for the tiny resistors and stacking chips, or at least I think they will be, will see soon enough I suppose…

THANKS MATT! And thank you as well Scott for implementing these and riding out the storm of change. :wink:

Edit: Oh yeah, also got my very first flux! Maybe I’ll turn pro…

ordered mine today and they went to the fab already :)