10mm linear driver- discussion thread now

The second view is as if you can see through from the top. That's why the silkscreen text is reversed.

Thanks Texas - I understand what you mean. I know I've said it a few times already but unless I cut some advised corners it would have been impossible to make this driver :/

- Matt

Tbh, I didn’t think this could be done even with cut corners. Once it’s finalized then I’ll order some and see if my soldering is up to snuff.

The new smallest class emitter from Cree, the XQD. With a 1.6mmx1.6mm footprint, it’s the smallest they make. But, at 350mA it makes over 100 lumens, 220+ at 700mA. XQD 5000K And they only cost $1.06 ea, cheaper in bulk.

Let it sink in for a moment. 3 of these 1/8” square little emitters will make 660+ lumens on 2.1A. 7 of them will very easily fit into a mini mag, and getting 350mA each will produce some 750 lumens with a total of 2.4A.

They don’t have a thermal pad, instead only having a + and - side. They look something like this when re-flowed to a 16mm SinkPAD designed for an XM-L emitter…

That link didn’t work for me, hopefully this one will:

If I were to line 3 of these up down that positive side of the XM-L pad, and another 3 down the negative side, with the XQD’s positive leg on top of the neg strip for the XM-L, then connect a second positive lead to the negative pad, the negative for all 6 pads will be the board itself. Will they all run on the same 3.3Vf from a single battery? Or would that voltage need to be stacked, for some 19.8V to run em all? At 350mA a board set up like described would consume just 2.1A of power and output in the neighborhood of 780 lumens.

Why do this? If it would consume similar power (ok, less) and make similar output as the XM-L designed to go on the board? Well, reliability comes to mind. If something were to possibly happen to the XM-L, you’d be in the dark. With 6 individual emitters on board, that would not be likely ho happen. I have no real idea how much heat 6 of these would produce, but it will probably (I’m thinking…oh oh!) be less than a similar single emitter. I’m probably wrong, as my common sense (what’s left of it) regarding things electronic doesn’t seem to be exactly spot on these days.

I’m just thinking this would make a pretty neat little mule. Don’t know if it’s feasible or not. It’d surely make a very small little powerhouse running on button cell batteries! A single 7135 chip dwarf these little guys. lol. Wonder if a tiny light could be made with a single (or would that be pair?) 357 button cell and a regulation chip holding it to 350mA? The spec sheet says 130 lumens at 350mA. It’s actually even more efficient with less power, making a claimed 140 lumens a watt at a measely 200mA or so…about 65 lumens at 200ma….not exactly sure because I can’t find it again in their literature! lol. At any rate, it’s very efficient and will easily put out a surprising amount of light at very conservative power levels.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cree-Inc/XQDAWT-00-0000-00000HDE3/?qs=TS3LNSUQQW/mu7JzjU%252b2vA==

Those are fun little leds, I have been thinking about the use, but could not really see a great advantage over the existing leds. It is a clever set-up you made though, four of them on a xp-g boards would bring them even closer :-)

Wait, how about writing BLF with those and build an aspheric around that

Sounds like that would work at single emitter Vf Dale. 1s6p. Heat is still going to be there and no reflector or lens will make a nice beam from that set up. Might need 3
button cells and a 317+resistor to set custom drive current. I’d limit it to 50-100 mA but that still would be a nice keychain light.

Would a single Li-ion running a 3A 105c driver power 6 of these at 500mA each? Running in that set-up?

They have a 145º viewing angle, I’m thinking a modified L2m shorty, 6 of these on a copper star, sitting on copper, running 3.04A through a Q-Lite would be a 1000 lumen mule. One stacked chip for a total of 9 should yield something like 1200 lumens.

A palmable pocket light that would illuminate a room. No beam, just a flood of light, or with 4 modes, a candle. Medium at 1.14A would make some 300 lumens. Not much heat at 170mA to each emitter.

I could have a solid inch of copper sitting under the star, at 7/8” diameter. Even on Hi, the battery would be likely to die before the huge copper sink saturated. It wouldn’t have any distance, but it would sure put out a lot of light for 20-30’.

Might be fun to do, just for the uniqueness of it. Might even consider 3 sets of 2 on one of the triple Noctigon boards coming my way. Spread em out a bit, for even heat dispersal. :wink:

What is the reccommended max drive current? Remember OL’s “Angel Eyes” mod? These would make a stunning upgrade for the rim lights.

In terms of heat, it’s lumens per watt for however many LEDs you have added together. If these are more efficient than XM-L2 at an equal share of the same drive current then they will produce that much less heat but the other thing you need to look at is thermal resistance (C/W) junction to solder point. XML has a very low 2.5C/W and can shed the generated heat to a copper star better than any other led. For every 1W of input power the junction temp will be 2.5C higher than solder point (star). An XRE is 7 or 8 C/W.

They can’t take a lot of current, put out some 230 lumens at 700mA. They should be able to easily share the 3.04A of the Q-Lite, between 6 emitters.

Lol, an MT-G2 in the middle with a surround of XQD’s? I’m just thinking small pocket mule. Bunch of light, room filling. Or blinding, up close and personal. :wink:

What ever happened with this 10mm driver idea? Anything?

Can’t process the order through my iPhone and laptop is laid up.

Everything ready to go though? Any way I can help?

Still trying to get the laptop running.

Sick a Rottweiler on it, it’ll run! :wink:

Know what the issue is with your laptop? Perhaps we can help troubleshoot if you’d like. I’d hate to only have a phone for internet.

he had probably salvaged the cells from it

No, I get my pulls from old Makita 18V batts. Power cord blew out, fixed that then explorer won’t load properly. Now trying safari.