14500 battery from Fasttech-which one for SK68 clone

Uh oh.

Interesting graph. I never knew about this cell. But what is not mentioned, is the Sanyo UR14500P 2-pack from Intl-Outdoor.com is more than triple the price of the Trustfire flames! That’s worth mentioning. Currently $17.54 for a 2-pack, that’s $8.77 apiece (apparently there’s a free shipping option):
http://intl-outdoor.com/2-pcs-sanyo-ur14500p-840mah-protected-battery-p-467.html

2-pack of Trustfire flames at fasttech currently go for $5.32, free shipping, that’s $2.66 apiece:
http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10000523/1084200-trustfire-14500-37v-900mah-protected-rechargeable-

Which begs a question: if the Nitecore NL147 (rated at 750mAH) is made by Sanyo, and the UR14500P (rated at 840mAH) is also made by Sanyo, and there are others reputed to be made by Sanyo, such as Zebralight’s branded 14500, how many different 14500’s does Sanyo make, assuming these are different cells, and which are which? In other words, which is the best “Sanyo 14500” deal?

Also worthy of note is the varying price on Nitecore NL147.
Intl-Outdoor has a single for $8.74, which is the same price per cell as the UR14500P:
http://intl-outdoor.com/nitecore-14500-liion-battery-nl147-p-625.html

But Fasttech has the NiL147 for 5.99, free shipping:
http://www.fasttech.com/product/1134000-nitecore-nl147-14500-750mah-37v-rechargeable-lithi

I’m wondering if Sanyo deems their own cells dangerous enough to warrant a protection circuit? I have a light where a protection circuit makes things a little too cramped, but don’t want to risk my safety. Possibly unjustified, but I’d feel more comfortable removing a Sanyo protection circuit than one on the Flames. Are any sold without protection? LiFe and probably LiMn are too low capacity in my application (tried it), plus I feel bad overcharging the LiFe cells in my standard charger. But LiFe is better for storing in a hot car (glove box), I think, and extremely safe, so they have their place. Not sure how LiMn holds up to a hot car. SK68 clones are perfect for a “glove box” light with the right cells, especially the 3-mode versions.

I have the same dilemma, I really like the LiFe, but in some cases it just doesn’t give the volts even if you can live with the lower mAh rating. It can work opposite as well though, for example using the 14500 LiFePO4 in the Spark SD52 gives you much better light than 2 NiMh cells, and makes a small marginal difference as well in the SX5. So in the end I’m using just about everything. I also just ordered those Nitecore 14500 and protected Trustfire’s yesterday. However I’m finding also that protected cells are just not a good fit for a lot of my uses. Not a problem for my single cell device use, but not too keen to use the unprotected 14500’s in series even if the device can handle the higher voltage.

I was just looking at those little plastic converters that allow you to put a AAA into a AA format, pondering if there could be a simpler adapter that you could slip an unprotected 18650 into but it wouldn’t make it any bigger than the protected cells currently are. I think that might work in some of my Spark lights because there is a lot of leeway in some of the models, and not in others.

Today I had a chance to run the Soshine 700mAh LiFePO4’s in my Spark SD52 on high after I removed them from the charger, and timed them. They lasted 1:30hrs. Yesterday when I ran the Coolooks in the same circumstances, I recorded 1:45hrs.

Looks like the UR14500P is (or at least was, originally) a Panasonic battery. Although, I think Panasonic’s battery division is now owned by Sanyo (or vice versa).

Some info:

HKJ’s info:

Rating:
Nominal: 800mAH “minimum”.
“Typical”: 840mAH (which is the rating on the battery sold by intl-outdoor).

At this point, it’s seeming like the UR14500P is the best cell. Expensive, but probably the best.

The UR14500P also appears to be the cell used in the new Zebralight ZL584. Intl-Outdoor has the best price, but it’s a 2-pack. I’ve seen single Zebralight 14500’s on Ebay go for $10 shipped to the USA (from USA).

Also, looks like the Nitecore NL147 and Eagletac 14500 are the same cell (based on capacity).

I have several Flames - a pair from DX, from MF and from FT, and they all perform pretty well.

I also have a pack of blue TrustFire from DX and they are awful so I stay away from them. Runtime is 3x less than the Flames, I don’t have the appropriate tech to measure the actual capacity.

I got some FandyFire from DX - white label, says 1200 mAh on the label, not true of course. They are unprotected and I bought them just out of curiosity, turned out not bad, especially for the money. The cell itself is strangely light, which I always assumed means low quality.

The best that I got are two Nitecore NL147. One from LightMalls and one from FastTech. More power and capacity than the Flames, but please keep in mind they are a little wider than the others. They barely fit my several Balders SE-1, for example. I have to push a bit, and pulling it out requires banging my hands together to make it show itself a little from the flashlight body. Sorry for explaining it like an idiot, my English is not exactly top-notch :slight_smile:
On the other hand, Nitecores fit perfectly Xtar WK26 and several other 14500 flashlights that I got, and they don’t rattle in the body. For $6 (FT, shipping incl.) it’s a no-brainer really. Although nothing beats a TF Flame in terms of “bang for the buck”.

I’m thinking of getting some of the new Soshine 14500, label says 800 mAh which I assume is more or less correct. They sell only in packs of 4 for $16 on eBay and on an online store or two.

Here is another one for consideration Genuine Sanyo UR14500P 14500 840mAh Li-ion Battery (2-Pack) Kind of expensive at $9.94 for 2, but they are Sanyo .

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1/10002603/1287511-genuine-sanyo-ur14500p-14500-840mah-li-ion-battery

Ventsi, your English is very good. I wouldn’t have known you’re not a native English-speaker. You even use English colloquialisms, such as “on the other hand”. Thanks for the info on the Nitecore N147 thickness. I think my Zebralight 502 might not like that :stuck_out_tongue: .

Brad, I just saw those UR14500P’s as well. They must be a new item; I had searched before. There is a comment in the “Discussion” section noting that, according to the date code, the cells were made in 2003(!) (date code UR14500P H002A—I did not verify). I don’t know what that would do to the capacity. I can’t find anyone who’s gotten them yet. I don’t have elaborate testing equipment. It’s tempting though. Please note they are apparently unprotected (which could be a good thing, depending the circumstance). I’m actually looking for a good unprotected cell for my Zebralight, as protected cells are uncomfortably long (I realize they’re ‘unsupported’, but higher voltage cells otherwise work fine; even the modes work properly). I’m balking at paying $17.54 for two UR14500P’s at intl-outdoor. The Trustfire flame 14500s give me about 15 minutes in my C78 which is 1-mode (assumedly) direct drive to an XR-E. I’m looking for greater capacity.

I was away from BLF for awhile, and now I come back, everything is FastTech. Where did these guys come from? They’re like the new Manafont. I’m impressed with their site and responses here. Especially with them measuring (some of) their own cells and disclosing ones with low capacity, and pricing accordingly. Putting manufacturer-claimed, obviously false capacity in quotation marks. Also admitting mistakes (on this forum), and correcting them, not worrying about losing face. We like that stuff. Great prices, interesting batteries selection. Prepping my first order. If I get the red UR14500P’s, I’ll report the voltage they show up with.

As to the DLG 14500’s referenced, these are LiCo, but I bought one DLG’s LiMn from Lighthound a few years ago, and it came totally dead. 0 volts, wouldn’t take a charge, and couldn’t even be used as a dummy battery! I never bothered to take up the issue with Lighthound, but should have. But that did it for DLG with me. YMMV.

As a sidenote, FT has a surprisingly large selection of dummy cells (AA/AAA), at very low prices, which I’ve previously found difficult to find, and overpriced (again, Lighthound was my source for odd things like that). FastTech calls them “placeholders”.

Actually I agree with brjones, you do VERY well in English. But just in case it helps some I think the phrase you were looking for is "until it sticks out a little" or "until it sticks out some" from the flashlight.

Lots of native English speakers don't type or spell nearly as well as you do. Hell, some folks I know I can hardly communicate with even when I'm in the same room with them.

(Disclaimer: I don't want to brag about never having any typos myself, I consider myself a pretty capable user of the English language, BUT the keyboard I'm using right now the s key and a couple others don't work every time and I find myself having to proofread my posts pretty well and go back and put in a few s's here and there and sometimes even then I look after posting and have to click "edit" and fix it because I can't stand to see it wrong. How's that for one big run-on sentence?)

Did you ever get to test out the UR14500P’s? What are your thoughts about them now? Can you confirm whether or not they’re protected?

I’m trying to decide between the UR14500P, Nitecore NL147, and after reading this thread, the Trustfire Flames.
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1287511
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1134000
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1084200

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I just got into flashlights two weeks ago and have spent every spare minute researching since then (this forum is dangerous to my finances).

I went with TF flames my first 14500 purchase. Mine run sk68 at ~15% less drive vs my Keeppower 14500. Pretty much looks the same level of brightness by eye. I haven’t made any run time tests though.

Honestly for 14500 TF flames are a good deal imo, quite a bit of savings, decent product for the money.

I wouldn’t waste my money on the 18650 TF flames though.

Also, Those sanyo definitely aren’t protected.

The Nitecore are pretty expensive. Should be a good product though.

I forgot Banggood is having a big sale on batteries:

coupon:BGBPW
Discount:10%
(I paid quite a bit more than this for mine, and I got mine from a group buy)