14500 or AA?

Thank you mate for your well come

Welcome! There’s not so many protocols to worry about breaking here!

Been reading up a bit on Li-Ion batteries, having some basic questions as well:

1. Are protected Li-Ion preferred over non-protected?

I read in some places some flashlights won't take protected--wonder which would be safest purchase for compatibility with flashlights on the market then (protected vs. non-protected)?

2. It seems the light output on the same flashlight is normally doubled for Li-Ion vs. AA NiMH cells (assuming the flashlight takes both). I suppose that would mean the runtime would be almost half on the Li-Ion's compared to NiMH's then (if I take TrustFire 14500 0.6mAH x3.7v = 2.2WH, a bit less than an Eneloop AA ...) ?

2. Was reading a bit on the BLF Battery database, I wonder what'd be a good choice for 14500 Li-Ion?

3. And I am reading that the sizes for the same Li-Ion type can vary quite a bit among different brands.

Wonder if the ones in the database are those that conform to the standard sizes--and if not, would be great if there'd be an additional column for the actual battery dimensions... .

Thx much for the info... .

if you're not sure, definitely get the protected, and yes the light will be a lot brighter. i've had good luck with the trustfire flame protected 14500 batteries, and they fit everything i needed them to fit.

i have been reading here quite a while and just registered and i saw this post had no ending (or did it LOL?) What happened Dave? Did the stuff work out?

= http://www.chessrivals.net/ =

I have 3 of the exact light… they will run on 14500’s but don’t! They get way to hot! SS is not a good conductor of heat. I love that little light, but I also question the durability of the switch with high amps, if the driver is changed!

I have been using 14500 and 10440 (AA and AAA sized) batteries since the cree led came out. I have only used unprotected. Mainly because of size difference (protected batteries sometimes will not fit/ bigger). Also because I only use these batteries in single celled lights. The reason for protected is that the batteries can explode. This happens when drained too much. It is a bigger danger in lights using more than 1 battery. I would strongly advise against buying any batteries or chargers off of ebay. I once bought fake Duracell NiMhs. I would recommend that you purchase a quality battery from a reputable source. This is also true for chargers. I have been using Efest batteries lately. I don’t like the trustfire brand. You want to charge 14500 and 10440s at .25 amp. I recommend Mountain Electronics (online store). Prices are good and you won’t be purchasing counterfeit items or crap. I don’t use these batteries in anything but flashlights. I like them for small keychain (EDC) flashlights.

I just purchased the Tank007 E09 (10440). The Tank 007 E19 (14500). Both were inexpensive and perform well on 10440/14500. Both are small and light.

You need a charger for Lithium-Ion batteries

Unprotected li-ions are usually perfectly safe inside single cell flashlights because their drivers usually need higher Vin than the minimum led Vf, which is ≈2'5V for white ones.

By the way: LiitoKala Lii-100 + TrustFire high drain 700mAh IMR14500s -> Wonderful and economical combo.

Cheers ^:)