18650 Batteries

New to the forum and have questions about 18650 batteries. Specifically, are high capacity batteries less satisfactory in high drain (high output) lights like Fenix TK22 2014 edition? My other question is safety. I have read that even protected batteries may blow up under charge or heavy drain. I certainly don’t want to be a casualty! I have already ordered a pair of 18650 high capacity batteries and a charger from Battery Junction and am now second-quessing myself.

Hi,

Don’t let any of that talk scare you. The odds of an explosion are stupidly small. Just use good quality cells and you will be fine. No cheap, recycled laptop cells that are repackaged from China (Ultrafire = “ultracrap”).

As far as lights like Fenix and other upper-end lights, they are current regulated, and so, no, high-drain vs high capacity will not matter. You will just have longer run-time with higher capacity batteries. If a light is unregulated and runs off of direct-drive current, then a high-drain battery will offer better initial output due to lower internal resistance.

Welcome aboard!

The demands of the TK22 can be handled by any 18650 made by a good brand. That means no unbranded batteries or Ultrafire batteries.

Single battery flashlights with good drivers like the TK22 are the safest way to use 18650's. All you can do on top of that is buy quality protected batteries with a quality charger.

What batteries did you buy? Battery Junction has some good batteries but also offers UltraFires, some of the WORST batteries in the market place. Typically low current capability and greatly exaggerated capacity plus about the most cloned Chinese batteries made. What I cannot figure is why counterfeit a known junk battery?

There are a few lights with high enough current draw to need unprotected high current batteries such as the Supernight lights offered on Amazon. From tests basically overdriven and undercooled designs it seems like. Also customized lights like some from Mountain Electronics can draw up to about 6 Amps from a high current capable battery.

I wish I had joined BudgetLight Forum sooner!
The 18650’s in question are in fact ULTRAFIRE as is the charger and car charger I ordered from Battery Junction. OOPS!
As far as I can tell they have not shipped yet, so I’ll see if I can cancel my order.

Thanks, guys!

John
From El Paso

So, what do you suggest as good, high capacity 18650’s and charger?

Is
current regul ated , I would a high capacity Panasonic 3400 mah protected and a xtar 4 bay charger from mountain electronics
EDIT: sorry my Smartphone isn’t so smart I initially did write 3400mah and the phone changed that, nice catch by the way.

Light junkie;

I think that you mean 3000 to 3400 mah and have a typo. Panasonic does not have a high capacity 300 mAh 18650. Personally AxisDeer I like these: “Panasonic NCR18650BD Protected 3200mAh” batteries as having very good capacity and high current capability. Panasonic makes batteries, not protection circuits, so protected Panasonics are all sold under other names, in this case EVVA who add the protection circuit and outer wrapper with their name. XTAR chargers are good too. Below is the battery link.

Sorry but UltraFire batteries, even the genuine ones, seem to overall be very poor batteries with greatly exaggerated capacities and poor current output. As noted earlier too they are widely cloned and some of the clones are sold incredibly cheap and are still ripoffs. Currently there is no such thing as a greater than 3600 mAh battery but if you look on Amazon or ebay you will find a lot of 18650 batteries listed as Ultrafire and other brands no one has heard of claiming capacities as high as 8800 mAh. ALL are likely junk and certainly are false advertising. BTW the 3600 mAh Panasonic is hard to find and with protection is a $20 battery from Orbtronic and others.

I hope this helps.

BLF member RMM sells everything you need, all quality gear, quick shipping and good prices. His site is here or take a look at this post.

Many of us, stateside anyway use his shop as a one stop shop.

Edit: a little late to post but I think you get the idea.

Thanks, Richwouldn’t!

I was able to cancel my order for Ultrafire batteries and charger. My Fenix TK22 thanks you as well.

I’ve read good things about Olight flashlights and was wondering about their batteries and chargers. Any opinions or experiences?

I have Olight lights but know nothing about their batteries or chargers. In many cases light makers buy another brand of batteries and chargers and just put their name on them. True of Fenix chargers.

you have everything about 18650 batteries and charger right here http://lygte-info.dk/

do be sure to always treat them with respect though

Olight cells (I forget now what cells they really are) are pretty good quality and definitely safe as are their chargers (tho there are much better chargers out there, everyone new to Li-ion needs a nitecore i4, I have several Li-ion chargers and the 2 i4’s I have are the only ones I will leave my house while charging cells on).

I wold recommend buying original panasonic NCB18650B’s for you fenix, it doesnt need the higher current of an IMR, infact it wont be any brighter at all on IMR’s than on ICR so go with the higher cap panna’s. Best US source is MtnElectronics (a web store ran by member here RMM), Other very good cells include Sanyo and sony brand ICR’s often found in laptop packs. If you are set on a flahslight brand re-branded cell I woudl recommend Eagletak green/white 18650’s, They’re simply re wrapped Panna NCRB’s